Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming up on doing the 12,000mile service. My local Triumph dealer no longer exists so I'm doing this myself.

I have an older service manual that says:

Intake: 0.10-0.20mm
Exhaust: 0.275-0.325mm

Is this the same as for my bike? VIN ending in 62xxxx?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yep still the same. Doing the exhaust side is slightly annoying because of the .05mm tolerance you have to work with. Most of the shims you find are in .05mm increment sizes. I think pro-x makes them in .025 sizes. These are standard 7.48mm diameter shims.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Here is the link to the DIY valve service I did on my 2010 STR at 20,000 kms (done again last fall at 40,000 kms);

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/220450-diy-20-000-km-12-000-mile-service.html

-Be sure to double-check the correct clearance for your VIN number, mine were 0.10-0.20 mm inlet and 0.275 to 0.325 mm for the exhaust but yours is a newer model and it may have different valve material.
-You will need an antenna-type magnet to lift out the buckets with shim, and the spark plugs out of the tunnel (do NOT use iridium plugs you will lose power, use OEM spec).
-Be prepared to take your time cos there is a lot of stuff to remove and replace. You will need a shop manual for the correct torque values and torquing pattern for the cam holders. I have a Haynes manual also.
-Find some proper clearance guages in 0.1 mm increments; remember to rotate the crankshaft a few times to get some boundary lubrication to the cams so the measured clearances are correct. Checking and re-checking clearances is a time-consuming process.
-Make a diagram of the three cylinders and valve to write down the as-found clearance, shim size, and required shim. NOTE; you will need to order the correct 0.025 increment shims for the exhaust valves; if you use the standard 0.5 mm increment shim your clearance will be either too tight or too loose, and not in the middle where it should be. I got mine here and be prepared to wait a week or two.

http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net/Triumph__Street-Triple.html

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For vin + 560477

Inlet: 0.10 - 0.20mm.
Exhaust: 0.325 - 0.375mm.
Yep still the same. Doing the exhaust side is slightly annoying because of the .05mm tolerance you have to work with. Most of the shims you find are in .05mm increment sizes. I think pro-x makes them in .025 sizes. These are standard 7.48mm diameter shims.
I just got two different answers on the exhaust clearance.

Is it 0.275-0.325 or 0.325-0.375? For my VIN 62xxxx?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I can understand your confusion. It happens all to often.

Pic.on left shows the vin # the manual starts with (2013?).

Pic.on right gives the valve clearances. Column on left is for the Daytona(both), right is for Street Triple (both models).

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can understand your confusion. It happens all to often.

Pic.on left shows the vin # the manual starts with (2013?).

Pic.on right gives the valve clearances. Column on left is for the Daytona(both), right is for Street Triple (both models).
Thanks Bruce for the pics. Looks like the newer streets are daytona like....

Demented... thanks as well!

I've done lots of weekend warrior work on cars including engine pull and cylinder head swap on my german car. I really should just get the correct service manual at this point. The old one is basically correct but some things do change such as exhaust valve clearance apparently!

I'm pretty good at taking pics for myself and for future forum questions(Audi stage 3 work on my car done by myself) so hopefully I can start being more of a contributor here when the time comes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts