Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just a little background to set expectations... I've only ever owned Harleys (1 Sportster and 3 Dynas over the past 4 years) and I just bought a 2014 Speedie new from the dealer a couple weeks ago.
I'm casually breaking it in a bit each day and I tested the rear brake yesterday rolling up to a stop sign. I was rolling at about 10-15 mph and used only the rear brake to get a feel for it and it felt virtually USELESS. It had trouble even bringing the bike to a complete stop. The front brakes feel wonderful so no concern there, but I'm curious if this is just a little niggle with the speedie or I should have a look at it. Appreciate any input!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2011 model and yes the back brake is all but useless. I find most bikes the same though. Luckily most modern bikes have awesome front stoppers which is just as well.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It certainly isn't nearly as strong as the front but does more than you think. If the back brake was too sttong you'd just lock it all the time because of the weight transfer. And when you put two sizeable brembos up front, the back is going to pale in comparison.

Many don't use the back brake at all, I do and can tell a difference when I dont. It's also handy for certain cornering situations too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
So just a little background to set expectations... I've only ever owned Harleys (1 Sportster and 3 Dynas over the past 4 years) and I just bought a 2014 Speedie new from the dealer a couple weeks ago.
I'm casually breaking it in a bit each day and I tested the rear brake yesterday rolling up to a stop sign. I was rolling at about 10-15 mph and used only the rear brake to get a feel for it and it felt virtually USELESS. It had trouble even bringing the bike to a complete stop. The front brakes feel wonderful so no concern there, but I'm curious if this is just a little niggle with the speedie or I should have a look at it. Appreciate any input!
In the past, and maybe still, a lot folks didn't use the front brake because they thought it would cause them to endo ...

It certainly isn't nearly as strong as the front but does more than you think. If the back brake was too sttong you'd just lock it all the time because of the weight transfer. And when you put two sizeable brembos up front, the back is going to pale in comparison.

Many don't use the back brake at all, I do and can tell a difference when I dont. It's also handy for certain cornering situations too.
+1

·
Registered
294 Posts

Welcome to the world of sport bikes. The only real use the rear brake has is to keep you from looping the bike during a wheelie.

I'm pretty sure you get the idea though, they're two different bikes.it also should come as no surprise when you see your rear disk is a dinkey little thing and you have two huge front disks. It's cause rear brakes are almost useless on sport bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, that's all good to hear. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue I needed the dealer to address. It's a bit weird coming from Harley with horrible front brakes (even with my Low Rider's dual disc up front) because I was always applying 50/50 front/rear brake. haha Guess it's time to adjust to well-engineered bikes....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I occasionally used to lock up my rear on the Harley for fun so that's why I was thinking "what's the deal" when I tried it on the Speedie. It does make sense though that Harley had a more powerful rear brake to compensate for the crap front brake.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
My Harley rear brake also worked far better than my Speed Triple. No doubt the 11.5" rotor compared to 240mm would have a ****load to do with it.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
My Harley rear brake also worked far better than my Speed Triple. No doubt the 11.5" rotor compared to 240mm would have a ****load to do with it.
The design of a HD or any cruiser type bike for that matter depends more on a rear brake. Pushed out front and tall handlebars don't mix with strong front brakes. That's just my opinion, I'm not a motorcycle design engineer.
I can remember a OCC chopper show where they had issues with the design for installing a front disc. The father said leave it off. You don't need a front brake on a chopper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts