Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On occasion my S3R will not start, this happens in neutral, clutch lever in, kick stand up or down, engine hot or cold. When the starter is thumbed nothing happens, engine does not turn over, no clicking, whirling, nada...it's been happening since new. Any ideas?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Damn that is definitely not ******* cool.

Doing it since new? Did you ever take it to the dealer under warranty and nicely demand they get it sorted? What did the dealer do/say? Have you got TuneEcu and noticed any error codes?

Just a couple of more questions mate:wink2: What tune is loaded into the bike, and (when it does start) have you attempted a 12 minute adaptation?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn that is definitely not ******* cool.

Doing it since new? Did you ever take it to the dealer under warranty and nicely demand they get it sorted? What did the dealer do/say? Have you got TuneEcu and noticed any error codes?

Just a couple of more questions mate:wink2: What tune is loaded into the bike, and (when it does start) have you attempted a 12 minute adaptation?
Dealer couldn't find the problem at the 6k service...doesn't happen often, very intermittent. SC-Project low oval with the Arrow low tune from dealer, no TuneEcu. Bike will start after the ignition is cycled 1-3 times. It was like this with the stock exhaust & tune also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
SC-Project low oval with the Arrow low tune from dealer, no TuneEcu.
Aha - maybe I can help, because this is the exact same set up as mine. I have the SC air filter as well.

I was also having all manner of starting issues AFTER I had an arrow tune installed. I tried the low mount and slip on tunes. First time Triumph tuned it, second time I did it via TuneEcu.

What I have found is it'll run better with an updated factory tune! Yup, I know, everyone always says to remap when a muffler is bolted on. But with SC Project, in my unprofessional opinion, the factory tune is actually more reliable. Starts better, hot and cold, but runs richer.

The reason I know all this is because I recently had some repairs done on my bike (long story, locks got replaced) and the dealer had to reset/remap the ECU. He put an updated factory tune in, reset the IACV, and all my previous hot/cold start issues were resolved.

I highly recommend you get TuneEcu so you can check for things like errors, TB balance, and also remap if you so desire. Alternatively, ask the dealer to remap back to an updated factory tune and see if that makes a diff. Also make sure the IACV cam clearance and TPS voltages are correct (TuneEcu require for this or dealer can check).

Good luck getting it sorted.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My ZZR1200 does this- I know it has a dicky starter button. I can't see a tuning map causing the engine not to turn when you press the starter. That sounds more like an intermittent fault in the wiring, starter button or neutral switch being the prime suspects. Sometimes I have to keep jabbing on the button until it sees reason and starts. :smile2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 2010 has done the same thing since I got it in 2014. It's the clutch switch. Sometimes if I just release and pull the clutch lever and it will start and sometimes I have to jiggle the connector at the clutch lever. I know I should actually fix it, but since it happens so intermittently and I know what to do to get it going it's just not a priority...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies gents, gives me something to work on...I'm leaning towards the clutch switch as I've noticed it's a bit jiggly in it's mount. I may also look at getting TuneEcu and trying another tune, but I'm pretty happy about the way the bike runs at the moment...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Sounds like you are narrowing it down, but also check the battery terminals are tight too. Something quick and easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts