Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

2014 Bonneville -- Won't Start & No Power (including headlights and instrument display) --

688 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  oldgoldie 
#1 ·
With the ignition ON and Kill switch ON, I am getting nothing... No attempt to turn over, no headlights and no display lights. When this first happened there was a brief attempt to turn over, followed by a clicking sound. Nothing else since.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have gone through some trouble shooting myself with no luck.
Here's what I've tried:

• Battery has proper voltage with clean and snug terminals
  • The 30 amp engine fuse is getting 12 volts
  • Checked both the Starter relay and Main Power relay -- Both are good
  • There seems to be a good ground to earth from negative battery terminal

#3 ·
  • Checked both the Starter relay and Main Power relay -- Both are good
have you tried cleaning the relay contacts - [ somtimes easier / quicker just to put in a new relay ]
thats if you can ease off the case/cover.
Thanks for the reply. I just tried a new relay today (both starter and main) still no luck. I also tested out each fuse and they show good on volt meter.

#8 ·
The only way I check fuses is with a ohm meter. I take them out and measure for resistance. The modern blade fuses can be blown but almost impossible to see. A friend of mine just recently had an issue with a fuse. He was on the road and his bike wouldn't start. He looked at the fuse and it looked "fine". Had the bike taken home in the back of the truck. After several hours couldn't find any problems. I insisted he take the fuse out and put a meter across it. Guess what he found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.