Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I had a full on lockup. Split the case and everything and I never found anything conclusive as to what caused the lockup. I went with getting a new motor and the old one is still sitting in pieces in my garage. Mine appeared to be motor and not transmission related though as when I pulled the clutch in the rear wheel finally came free.

Good luck man. I know the feeling. And I'm sure everyone is looking forward to hearing what the cause was.
Did you pull the heads and jugs? You likely had a piston seize. Not uncommon back when air-cooled 2-strokes ruled the road.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dealor is a Stealor

What about dropping the bike off at the factory?
(With its history.)That should get someone's attention.

Triumph picked the bike up and initially were only interested in telling me the cost of replacing the parts I scuffed when I dropped the bike.

(I conveniently alluded to dropping the bike in my first post due to the SHAME!) :(:rolleyes:

Told them to have a look at the bike and see if they can find something amiss. They came back a day later explaining that they couldn't find anything.

I told them that I couldn't conceivably ride the bike without knowing what happened or why it happened! - They are going to 'talk to Triumph'

We will see what happens![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
246 Posts
Did you pull the heads and jugs? You likely had a piston seize. Not uncommon back when air-cooled 2-strokes ruled the road.

Seems like a logical explanation, especially if nothing else is found. I would get the dealer to do an oil drain and inspection as recommended. The electrical gremlins are strange though.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Seems like a logical explanation, especially if nothing else is found. I would get the dealer to do an oil drain and inspection as recommended. The electrical gremlins are strange though.
To be clear, my suggestion that the engine seized was in response to this:

I had a full on lockup. Split the case and everything and I never found anything conclusive as to what caused the lockup. I went with getting a new motor and the old one is still sitting in pieces in my garage. Mine appeared to be motor and not transmission related though as when I pulled the clutch in the rear wheel finally came free...
The OP has a different issue as the clutch did not free the rear wheel. From the first post:

...I am in 4th gear cruising at 50mph when suddenly the bike cuts out and the rear wheel locks. Nothing I can do. I pull the clutch in which does not release the rear wheel and I skid to stop...

·
Registered
239 Posts
So, after grinding to a halt, the condition or object, strong enough to counter the 67 horses and forward momentum of bike and rider that had caused the lock up simply went away. Hard to imagine such an outcome from such a catastrophic event.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts