Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2013 base tiger with ~15K miles, owner is asking $4500 - definitely below market in my area. Cosmetically the bike looks fine, but it seems like the owner hasn't done much beyond bare minimum maintenance.

The good:
  • New rear tire
  • New air filter
  • New spark plugs
  • Owner says routine oil changes and chain lubrication, no records of this though.
The bad:
  • Front tire is original
  • Brakes are original
  • Valve clearance never checked
  • A / B service never performed
My plan is to take it to a mechanic in town for an inspection, but unfortunately there isn't a Triumph dealer close by.

What items should I point out to the mechanic for inspection? Given that the maintenance schedule was not followed, are there massive expenses possibly looming in my future? :cry:

Any input greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,893 Posts
Sounds fine to me, buy it. I have 33k on mine and the valves have been checked but never needed adjustment. Mine still has the original front brakes, only replaced the rear brakes a few thousand ago. Original front tire, no biggie, just replace.

·
Super Moderator
2,893 Posts
You'll be due for the bigger 12k mile service which can get costly at the dealer. That would hold true with most motorcycles with shim under bucket valves though. If the valves need adjusting you could be into that big service for around $700 or so. Find a good independent shop.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
OP~ You're lucky the front tire hasn't been changed out. Inspect the tire tread thoroughly. This could "tell" you how the bike has been ridden.
Also, inspect the brake pads for thickness, BEFORE you test ride.
If you aren't familiar with this bike, (or, ANY bike,) take it to a qualified independent mechanic. Spend 30 minutes going over the bike with them. Have them show you "what to look for." Pay him/her, then decide on a price, based on the mechanics recommendations.
Are you a new rider?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gearhd6 - I'll try to find an independent to check the valves if I purchase.

Norty - not a new rider, but a green one. 3K miles under my belt on a Tu250x. Definitely unfamiliar with the bike. I like your comment about the front tire - what kinds of things should I be looking for? Thanks.

·
Registered
865 Posts
There's a 24000 mile service which will likely be over $1000. A buddy of mine just got quoted $1400 for it on his Explorer. As long as the oil/filter has been changed regularly it would't be a deal breaker if the valves haven't been checked (My 955 didn't need new shims until ~40000 miles.), but it would be expensive if you don't do it yourself. Everything else on the service list is just BS like 'check lights, 'check horn' kind of stuff. If the chain looks well lubricated it's probably okay

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Thanks gearhd6 - I'll try to find an independent to check the valves if I purchase.

Norty - not a new rider, but a green one. 3K miles under my belt on a Tu250x. Definitely unfamiliar with the bike. I like your comment about the front tire - what kinds of things should I be looking for? Thanks.
Any unusual wear. Such as "cupping" or "feathering" from the trailing edges of the siping. Actually, a motorcycle tire with 15,000 miles on it, is likely at/beyond it's service life.
It's not a bad idea to R & R these tires if/when you get the bike.
Another thing to look for (on all tires,) would be the manu date. If it's beyond 5 years, then the tire will not offer the friction that it could have when new. It'll look like a code "XXXX" First 2 XX's are the numerical week, starting Jan.01. The 2nd set of "XX's" are the year of manufacture. ("Born on date.")
This "stamp" is on all current tires for moto's/cars/trucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts