Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Went to the dealership looking for a Thruxton to pickup, but was disappointed and the last one sold bout a week before I came in.. Anyways I was talking to one of the salesmen and they will be getting their shipment of 2013s by the end of this month. I am definitely going to be picking one up, but had a few questions..

I am 5'4 about 155 lbs. This will be my first bike. But my dad has an R1, a chopper and and an indian chief (we will be trading in). Took my MSF course and have taken all the precautions for riding.

What are your guy's thoughts on the thruxton as a beginner bike especially for a guy my size. I hopped on a couple Bonnies at the dealership and I was tiptoeing with the bike upright. Is that okay? Any way to fix it? If there are any of you that are my size guys or girls, any info would be helpful!

Also what are your guy's thoughts on the EFI Thrux? Anyone have a 2013 yet? I'm thinking of getting the brittish racing green... :D

Any known problems? Things I should ask the dealer? How much is maintenance, can I DIY most of it?

Last but not least are upgrades.. I am definitely going to get an FEK, which is best? What about exhaust I'm looking for the best exhaust for the sound and performance. Last but not least the BC performance package is it worth it?

Especially as a new rider I'm not too worried about a bike being underpowered or what not. I am more concerned about a reliable bike thats not too sensitive to ride. If you guys have any advice for riding and upgrades please share!

I look forward to sharing my stories and maybe even riding with some of you as I start my motorcycle journey!

·
Registered
811 Posts
DO NOT buy a new bike as a starter bike, you will drop it and soil the bike and your pants. I recommend you get an old used bike in the 250cc range, a" beater" as a starter bike. Hone your skills, get experience then you will be in a better position to decide for your self which bike to buy next. Any of the Triumph classics would be a very nice 2nd bike.

Regards, Paul

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The Thruxton and all of the Bonneville line are great bikes and very dependable. Rock solid motors.

The BC performance package is probably the best performance mod you can make for the money. You save about a couple hundred bucks over buying all the parts individually and the BC Predators are one of the most popular and effective exhausts on the market. There are other good ones, but you won't be disappointed with the Predators.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I am definitely going to be picking one up
I am 5'4 about 155 lbs. What are your guy's thoughts on the thruxton as a beginner bike especially for a guy my size. I hopped on a couple Bonnies at the dealership and I was tiptoeing with the bike upright.
First question is what version Bonneville did you try. The Mag wheel Bonnevilles are significantly lower than the wire wheel bikes such as the Thruxton. If you tiptoed on a mag wheel bike, likely tne Thruxton will be too tall. Anyway you should not be on tiptoes.
You have already been given good advice as to starting on a 250cc machine.
If however, you are determined to start on a Bonneville, then I would suggest a std Bonneville, a second hand mag wheel machine until such time as you become better versed in the ways of motorcycling. Bonnevilles are very robust and faultfree and second hand do not depreciate much. Leave any mods to well down the road as the bikes are pretrty good straight out of the box.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Ok, some of this may not be what you want to hear so let's get that out of the way:
- I think these are pretty big bikes given your physical size and the fact that it's your first bike. I would consider something older, cheaper and lighter.
- But if you absolutely must have a Triumph and you're tip-toeing on the Bonneville, you won't even touch the ground on the Thruxton. I would whole-heatedly suggest you go back and check out the mag-wheel Bonneville. You can turn it into a cafe racer with a never ending list of mods.
- And of course if you absolutely must have a green Thruxton, well...good luck, I never listened to anyone when they told me what bike I should buy.

As to your other questions:
- Yes you can work on these bikes, so long as you are patient and actually like to do the work. Same as any other bike.
- I like the Maund FEK. There are other options, a search will give lots of info and opinions.
- Love, love, love my Predators. But check out the exhaust thread, and do your best to pick a look and sound you like.
Good luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to agree with the sentiments of starting on something smaller and second hand. You will drop it as its your first bike and if your too worried about dropping it then you will never really learn as you won't test your boundaries. I honestly believe a 250 or small dirt bike are the best ways to learn.
As for touching the ground. You will want to get two feet on the ground as a beginner BUT as you get more experienced it won't matter. On my Tenere I can only get the tiptoe of one foot on the ground just and I am supremely confident on it because I know I can keep it stable but it did take a lot of getting used to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I disagree with the notion that new bikes are not for beginners. If you are a competent rider it will be fine. My first bike was a brand new Bandit, and I never dropped it because I used common sense. I think the Thrux would be fine for your size, and the power level is perfect - not overwhelming, but enough to keep you entertained as your confidence grows. My last bike was a VFR800 which would bury the Thrux, but I am not bored with mine. Different kind of power, different attitude.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I disagree with the notion that new bikes are not for beginners. If you are a competent rider it will be fine. My first bike was a brand new Bandit, and I never dropped it because I used common sense. I think the Thrux would be fine for your size, and the power level is perfect - not overwhelming, but enough to keep you entertained as your confidence grows. My last bike was a VFR800 which would bury the Thrux, but I am not bored with mine. Different kind of power, different attitude.
BTW, I have the TOR's and love them. Affordable, good quality, and sound great. Got the dealer to install mine with a tune for half of their MSRP which worked well for me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Whether new or used, I think that you should start with a bike that fits you well without making a lot of mods that could change the handling geometry of the bike. If you are on your toes on a Bonnievile, not only could the Thruxton be a longer stretch for your legs, but your relative arm length may be an issue to reach and be confortable to control the bike well. I agree with prior posts that you should try the SE if you are set on a Triumph classic. It is very likely you will own many more bikes as time goes on. Focus on developing riding skills more than owning a particular design. IMHO.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
+1.....My Daytona is my first bike, and I've never dropped it in nearly 6 years of ownership.....BUT, my wife's Speed Four was also her first bike and she dropped it several times until I lowered it half an inch....she too was tippy-toed on the thing....works OK on level ground, but then again once you're out on the road you can't always count on having level ground around you...

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you have the coin and the insurance then start on a new bike all you want, more power to you.

That being said I just bought a 2012 Thruxton in June and can tell you flat out you will be lucky to get one foot on the ground. It's a very tall bike. In fact I'm 6' tall and I am lowering mine by 1" because I can't sit flat footed on it...I find the power to be perfect. Enough so you're not really craving more but not enough to get you into real trouble real fast like breaking a back tire loose from to much throttle or pulling the wheel off the ground and going over backwards, not going to happen on these 900s. And for the most part all European bikes are tall and tend to pester people under 6' tall. And the bike is HEAVY, leaps and bounds heavier than an R1.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you are tiptoeing around on a Bonnie there is no way you could ride a Thrux without a custom seat to lower it - and this is for an experienced rider. I am 5'9' and the Thrux fits me fine - which I define as being able to get both feet flat on the ground or close to it.

I demoed a Tiger and I was barely able to get my toes down. This made me very uncomfortable even though I have been riding for 25 years. I could get used to it but I wouldn't want to.

I would get a lighter bike as my first bike because you are going to drop it, MSF course or not. The couple of posters on this thread who have never dropped their first bikes are an incredibly rare breed - like those teenage boys who do not masturbate.

If you have to have a Thrux for your first bike, buy a used one for less than half the price of new (which may already have most or all of the mods you want) and fit a lower seat.

Hi all,

Went to the dealership looking for a Thruxton to pickup, but was disappointed and the last one sold bout a week before I came in.. Anyways I was talking to one of the salesmen and they will be getting their shipment of 2013s by the end of this month. I am definitely going to be picking one up, but had a few questions..

I am 5'4 about 155 lbs. This will be my first bike. But my dad has an R1, a chopper and and an indian chief (we will be trading in). Took my MSF course and have taken all the precautions for riding.

What are your guy's thoughts on the thruxton as a beginner bike especially for a guy my size. I hopped on a couple Bonnies at the dealership and I was tiptoeing with the bike upright. Is that okay? Any way to fix it? If there are any of you that are my size guys or girls, any info would be helpful!

Also what are your guy's thoughts on the EFI Thrux? Anyone have a 2013 yet? I'm thinking of getting the brittish racing green... :D

Any known problems? Things I should ask the dealer? How much is maintenance, can I DIY most of it?

Last but not least are upgrades.. I am definitely going to get an FEK, which is best? What about exhaust I'm looking for the best exhaust for the sound and performance. Last but not least the BC performance package is it worth it?

Especially as a new rider I'm not too worried about a bike being underpowered or what not. I am more concerned about a reliable bike thats not too sensitive to ride. If you guys have any advice for riding and upgrades please share!

I look forward to sharing my stories and maybe even riding with some of you as I start my motorcycle journey!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Hi all,

I started riding about a year and a half ago having never ridden before. Like you I took the MSF class. Smartest decision I could have made. My first bike--which I still have and love--was a Harley Dyna Street Bob. Brand new, heavy, big engine....but low (that's the best I can say!). Probably not among the smartest of decisions. However, when I began riding it after getting my endorsement, I was incredibly conservative. Rode in small then increasing larger time increments around my house, neighborhood, roads I know from bicycling, then finally "real" roads. I did that over at least several weeks. I always tried to just change / add one new variable at a time.

I bought my second bike, a 2012 Thruxon, about three months ago. Love it! But it is much taller so I wear Icon boots with a wedge heel. I'm a woman so may have more choices in this area. I would NOT want to not be able to put my feet down flat. Piece of cake on my Harley but not on my Triumph. If the road quality is perfect and the roads are flat and all is right with the world (rare), tiptoeing is ok, otherwise it sure makes me nervous. My Thruxton is about 150 pounds lighter and 700cc's smaller than my Harley, so now feels quite easy to ride relative to the Harley. I just put Predator pipes on it, had it remapped, and switched to a K & N air filter. The head mechanic at my shop strongly recommended against the air box removal kit which is part of BC's performance package. I purchased the pipes and the filter separately and the shop had the computer program to remap. Love how it runs--and sounds--now!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the great responses!

I have a hookup for racetech suspension.. Does anyone have these on their bike? Will it lower the bike and help my vertically challenged problem?

Also i plan on trading an Indian Chief for the thrux, what should i expect orwhat should i lookfor/negotiate when taking her in? The indian is in above average condition.

·
Registered
811 Posts
...... but new riders are NOT competent, are they.

Regards, Paul

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts

I have a hookup for racetech suspension.. Does anyone have these on their bike? Will it lower the bike and help my vertically challenged problem?

Also i plan on trading an Indian Chief for the thrux, what should i expect orwhat should i lookfor/negotiate when taking her in? The indian is in above average condition.
There are all kinds of threads on lowering a Thrux. Use the search feature. Here is a good one to start with.

What year is the Indian? If it is a Vintage Indian Chief (ie 1953 or earlier) DO NOT TRADE IT IN!!!!. Those are classic bikes and with proper restoration and TLC will only appreciate in value. Plus, they are head turners.

If it is a modern Chief... well you can always pick up another IMO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm 5'7" and stock I was on my toes on my Thruxton.

I've shaved the seat significantly, and am still on my toes a bit while stopped. Thick soled boots will get me flat-footed.

You will definitely have to make some changes if you want to flat-foot both feet while stopped. At 5'4", you might never get there completely. You'll probably always be on your toes some. It's just to what degree to where you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
566 Posts

stock shocks at ~14" long eye-to-eye. Bonneville shocks are ~13". So anything under 14" is going to lower the bike a little. AND be mindful that in order to lower one of the newer EFI Thruxtons you will need to install a pair of clip-on handle bars because you cannot raise the forks up through the triple trees the required 1" to compensate for the lower back end without the tops of the forks hitting the stock handle bars.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ok I work with a guy who is 5'4" and he rideas as well. My 2012 Thruxon is too big for him, he is on his tip toes at all times, You can buy shorter shocks for the rear, but I would try to find a bike to test before you buy. Im my opinion the Thruxton is too big for you.

My co-worker drives a 2012 Harley 33 sportster. If your 5'4" the sportster is the perfect size, great to learn on, and can be found on Ebay for cheap.

If you like the cafe racer syle, look on ebay for a CB550 cafe racer, again size and very easy to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sorry, but a Thruxton is not a beginners bike. It's too heavy and the narrow bars with limited steering range will make it a handful. And, while relatively mild for it's size, it still has enough go to get away from a new rider.

Go buy a 250 dual sport to ride for a year or two - you will learn faster and have much more fun doing it. Then, go trade it for a 2014 or 2015 Thruxton.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts