Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

So i did a recent oil change as I have always done and now the bike is wet sumping out of the crankcase breather. I do have the B&C airbox removal kit installed. Thew little K&N filter is sopping full of oil. Not too much is actually bleeding out of it, but some definitely is. Does anyone have any experience as to what might be the cause? Is the oil pump bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Your engine is not a dry sump type, it's full of oil all the time, no remote oil tank. To keep the mess to a minimum try mounting the breather as high as possible, above the carbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your engine is not a dry sump type, it's full of oil all the time, no remote oil tank. To keep the mess to a minimum try mounting the breather as high as possible, above the carbs.
Yeah, I had no clue. Just googled crankcase vent is full of oil etc and wet sumping kept coming up. Is there any reason you can think of to explain why it is just now happening? The vent has been in the same location since I did the airbox removal 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,296 Posts
Easy to over fill these bikes. The sight glass very sensitive to bike being dead level front back and side to sidebar it to be correct. Overfill will cause excess to puke up out the breather. Hard to sight level by yourself as cannot hold bike vertical and get down to eye level. Get a helper or have it on a bike floor support. Not side stand. Centerstand is better but can still mislead as bike tilts forward some.

Once you've got level right, wipe out airbox of excess, maybe do a kn filter clean out and respray, and get the airbox drain tube off and emptied. Hard to access, I use a pair of long handled slip jaws to grab to pinch clamp and work it off and back on.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Center stand is fine for checking oil, just don't go over the half-way point in the sight glass AFTER the oil has had plenty of time--hours--to drain down.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Center stand is fine for checking oil, just don't go over the half-way point in the sight glass AFTER the oil has had plenty of time--hours--to drain down.

I’m sure the manual says 5 - 10 minutes to settle from hot... you can over think these things maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
I’m sure the manual says 5 - 10 minutes to settle from hot... you can over think these things maybe?
Yes, it's been discussed to death. I'm more concerned with overfilling than underfilling. I get oil in the airbox sometimes, as do many of us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts