Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed the arrow exhaust and want to put the correct map on the bike. I've tried two different Bluetooth adapters (cheapo elm327 from China and kiwi3) neither of which could connect to the ECU (TuneECU error: "can't read ECU" or something to that effect).

I called the local dealer who said it's not possible, but that contradicts what I've seen on here in various threads(Example), so I'm trying to get an understanding of:

Is it possible?
What adapter do I need?

Thanks for having a look!

·
Registered
898 Posts
There is a map for the Arrow is exhaust and your dealer should be able to load it. Are you sure he’s not thinking you have a Street Scrambler? All he needs to do it connect your bike to the Triumph software and select it. Makes no sense that he says he can’t do it.

If you really want to do it yourself try the OBDII connector that Amazon sells. Costs about $20. Probably made in China but I wouldn’t trust anything coming direct from China.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Have you downloaded a driver for the OBD2 to your computer? Not much of a computer nerd but I recall this being necessary.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

There is a map for the Arrow is exhaust and your dealer should be able to load it. Are you sure he’s not thinking you have a Street Scrambler? All he needs to do it connect your bike to the Triumph software and select it. Makes no sense that he says he can’t do it.

If you really want to do it yourself try the OBDII connector that Amazon sells. Costs about $20. Probably made in China but I wouldn’t trust anything coming direct from China.
Called back and talked to someone who seemed to know more. They said they can do it.

Have you downloaded a driver for the OBD2 to your computer? Not much of a computer nerd but I recall this being necessary.
From what I understand, the only way to do it nowadays is using a Bluetooth adapter and the Android version of TuneECU. This is information direct from the TuneECU website, who claim that the newer ECUs have been locked, but that the Bluetooth\Android combo has a workaround. Edit::This actually might not be correct, see HERE

Would prefer to spend the money on a working adapter and do it myself,. Anyone have any suggestions for a guaranteed to work Bluetooth adapter for OBDII for the Scrambler.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just flashed a couple of different Triumph Scrambler Arrow maps into my 2016. Should be nearly identical to yours.

I used this cable from Amazon:

Note: The Triumph maps worked OK but my best results were after installing the Breathe Airbox cover, removing the airbox baffle and purchasing a Triumph Twin Power map.

·
Registered
605 Posts
According to the tune ECU website it's USB or Bluetooth for your bike but reprogramming only through USB.
you should really use the Android version of tune ECU as the windows version is now outdated and not supported, so you will need a cable to connect to your Android device, I only use Bluetooth so haven't got much experience with the cable connection but this is from the website.
  • Cable USB OBD2 KKL FTDI (The cable is the same as the windows version)
  • Adapter USB/micro (cable OTG) if needed
Then download the appropriate tune from here and reprogram.

·
Vendor
2,352 Posts
The current (last) version of TuneECU for Windows is fine to use with an air cooled Triumph twin and the only version of TuneECU to use if you plan to program a new tune to your ECM. The bluetooth/Android version may disconnect while downloading a tune and cause problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers all. Purchased a USB cable (eBay) and have downloaded the software and the correct maps.

Will [try to remember to] post back in a month when it arrives and I give it a go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since this is the most recent thread regarding the Arrow exhausts....where are they sold? Is it available at the dealer only? I'm looking to buy an air cooled scrambler and trying to figure out what the exhaust price will be on top of the sales price if it doesn't have one already, and haven't been able to find anything about 1. Where to get the damn thing and 2. How much it will cost? I'm in California if that matters. I am more than capable of installing it myself and then doing the tune at home. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Triumph was the official source for the Arrows two into one setup for Scrambler. Brilliant pipe, but it was way to costly for folks like myself (close to $2k here in Canada). You could check your region dealers to see if they still have them in stock someplace....I hear all the AC parts have dropped in price since the WC bikes have come out. Alternatively, there is the TecBikeParts USA knock off of the Arrow pipe. Has good reviews and great/similar sound. Though maybe not quite as pretty.Very nice price point.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Alternatively, there is the TecBikeParts USA knock off of the Arrow pipe.
The "low" Tec pipe also fits the Scrambler pretty well. I installed one on mine to get the pipe out of my wife's way. The unexpected benefit was it also made standing more comfortable for me while riding. I had to dent the collector a bit to clear the brake master cylinder and pick up the lower mount parts and passenger peg from a Bonneville.

Oh yeah, much easier to reach the fill plug now!
And.... saddlebags are much easier to fit!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the high mount tec pipe and for the price its hard to beat. I also really really like the black low mount Zard that terminates under the footpeg, but the price makes it hard to stomach.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick update:
Got my cable (ebay: VAG-COM KKL OBD2 USB Cable FTDI FT232RL Chip + 2x2 Adapter Cable for VCDS Lite) and followed the instructions on the TuneECU website to install the new map (Arrow 2 to 1 for LCD, up to E10). Took a total of 10 minutes.

I chose to disable SAI to see if that helps the insane amount of popping during decel. Haven't had a chance to ride yet, but will report back with any differences.Will also try with SAI enabled over the weekend and investigate further.

Thanks again for all the advice lads and ladies.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
  • TuneECU can only disable the warning light for SAI, it does not prevent the air injection solenoid from operating. It will have no impact on how the bike is running. Same is true for the oxygen sensor warning disable option. The ECU will still be trying to read the sensors and running engine accordingly.
Popping of exhaust indicates unburnt fuel entering headers and igniting there. If SAI is still present then that extra air will lead to fuel exploding in headers giving the pops. Many threads here on how to disable sai. You can clamp off the hose from air box as a quick test.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
  • TuneECU can only disable the warning light for SAI, it does not prevent the air injection solenoid from operating. It will have no impact on how the bike is running. Same is true for the oxygen sensor warning disable option. The ECU will still be trying to read the sensors and running engine accordingly.
Popping of exhaust indicates unburnt fuel entering headers and igniting there. If SAI is still present then that extra air will lead to fuel exploding in headers giving the pops. Many threads here on how to disable sai. You can clamp off the hose from air box as a quick test.
Ahh okay okay makes sense.

Yeah I've tried the "soft delete" option of plugging the airbox and hose which eliminated all the popping, but I felt dirty doing it so.... unprofessionally.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts