Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Over the last few weeks my bike started displaying strange symptoms. At first it was cutting out at very low speed or while stationary. I thought it was completely dead until a few days ago when it happened and I accidently pressed the horn button. It worked. The lights were also still on but the speedo and tacho were dead. When I straightened the front wheel they came back to life as did the fuel pump. I searched the forums and found I wasn't alone! One suggested cause was the crimp joints in the wiring loom. I duly stripped the front of the loom and soldered all of the crimps (no breaks found!) I reconnected everything and the intermittent fault was still there . Eventually I realised that the multiway connector to the dials seemed to be suspect. I opened it up to find 6 connections. I removed them one at a time using a 1mm watchmakers screwdriver and inserted the driver under each of the spring contacts before pushing them out with a ¼ turn of the driver. I then scraped clean the male spades on the other connector. On reconnecting the two parts everything was functional once again so I rewrapped the loom and reassembled everything. The bike starts first time again and doesn't cut out on a left turn!
The bike may be nearly 9 years old but it has only done 2600 miles from new! Dodgy connectors!
David
Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electronic component Electronic engineering

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich!
LOL and it only took me a day! Glad I wasn't paying for labour! I couldn't believe that there were crimp connections hidden in the loom but hopefully I've headed off any problems with them! Three of the other connector blocks have ¼" spade connectors in them eg the ignition connector. I don't think they will have any conduction problems.
David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts