Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a 2012 STR early June and have put roughly 2200 miles on it...and love every second of that engine...
I have had a couple little issues here and there but the dealer has been great but now the radiator cap seems to not be holding pressure and leaking.

I took it in a few weeks ago and had the dealer look and he couldn't tell exactly what the problem was and replaced the cap but now it's leaking again. I checked the overflow and main pipe and they are def not the issue.... Anyone deal with something like this and can offer some advice?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a problem with my 1050 Tiger. It only leaked when the bike was turned off when hot. I was the radiator cap. I could see that the rubber seal had deformed, probably from sitting without use for an extended period. Also, make sure that there isn't any rough spots or debris where the rubber gasket seals in the radiator housing. You can feel this with your finger. The cap they replaced my original with had a different label from the original and appeared to have a slightly thicker rubber gasket, but it has worked with no problems since. I would try another cap first, particularly since it worked for a while with the replaced cap. I understand that it is a standard size for many motorcycles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a new cap for 14 bucks when it comes in ill check the old cap and that seal like you said and repost if I find something that could be useful.

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the dealer told me I needed a new radiator .... It's 4 months old... Well anyway it's replaced under warranty and I get the bike back tomorrow so well see...

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

1 - 4 of 4 Posts