Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back last week from a 5 day 1300 mile trip last week:D
But I MUST find a new seat, so has any one know of after market seats for the SM?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just got back last week from a 5 day 1300 mile trip last week:D
But I MUST find a new seat, so has any one know of after market seats for the SM?
I thoight the newer seats were supposed to be better fitting than the older ones ? Are America seats the same, because I'm sold they are easily interchangeable and may be a little softer to fit the true cruiser image.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i switched out my 2012 SM seat for the America seat mainly because it was the cheapest option...

I found the rider part to be about the same if you are sitting back. I think the SM handlebars are a bit more forward than the america and hence the seat caters to that.
the America with the handlebars back a little has the seat more set up for sitting slightly more upright...

the America seat is also definitely way better for the pillion for sure...wider and more cushion.

yes they are perfectly interchangeable.

if you want a real nice but exp seat check the norman hyde...there is a current link to this in this forum now with photos...

·
Registered
727 Posts
I bought an Air Hawk II. I haven't tried it yet, but it's suppose to help alot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My main reason for enquiring about the America seat was purely due to pillion comfort. I really don't know what the go is with the Speedy seats. I guess they are now much better than the ridiculous pillion / gunfighter seats of the earlier models.

Peter

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks CA I also thought about an Air Hawk but hate spending that much cash for a maybe. Talked to Corbin and Sargent but nothing in the works yet from them. Now part of the problem may be I come in at 260. I have always ended up with an aftermarket seat, may send the seat pan to Russall, but may be out of riding for a month or 3.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi everyone. Just ordered an OEM Gel Solo Seat off the internet for my new Speedmaster 2012/13 (arriving next Monday). When i popped in to the dealer this morning he said that there isn't a solo gel seat for the SM anymore. Else where on the site i've seen conflicting ideas about this.

Has anybody fitted an OEM Solo Gel Seat (A9708171) to a 2012SM?

Thanks

Gordon

·
Registered
31 Posts
my dealer didn't even know that the America seat fit the speedmaster. i had to insist to try it and it worked. but i also asked other places and it just seems they don't know or try even. i called BC and they weren't sure either but they offered to give me no hassle on a return if it didn't fit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My dealer has also told me that the Solo Seats available won't fit the 2012 Speedmaster and Triumph has yet to release any plans to make one for new models. Not sure why though.

@CA_NJ_USA & CrazyTrain - please update this forum thread if/when you get the seat from BC -- let me know if it does fit without any problems on your new bike. Please post pics too if you can. I'd like to buy one, but am hesitant as everyone has told me it just won't fit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My dealer has also told me that the Solo Seats available won't fit the 2012 Speedmaster and Triumph has yet to release any plans to make one for new models. Not sure why though.

@CA_NJ_USA & CrazyTrain - please update this forum thread if/when you get the seat from BC -- let me know if it does fit without any problems on your new bike. Please post pics too if you can. I'd like to buy one, but am hesitant as everyone has told me it just won't fit.
I'll update this post once the bike arrives and the seat is changed (or not).

·
Registered
22 Posts
The seat on my ride is the Maverick LowRider.. They have had a lot of good reviews through owners forums etc. for both comfort and style.
In addition to the rider seat there is also a pillion pad, I have a double thick pad which I had to order. ;)
These seats fit all, including the 2012 models. Some triumph dealers seem to be misleading buyers regarding the seat fittings etc on the new models.. Perhaps because they don't know themselves.. :confused:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Maverick72 -

You own the business, so of course you'd say that :)

I'd feel much more comfortable buying from you if you can provide me a real customer reference of someone who has fitted your seats on a 2012 Speedmaster. I'm definitely interested, but need to some assurance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree they don't know and they don't take the few minutes to see either lol

I got the america seat after going to dealer and swapping it before i bought it to confirm it fitted first.

sorry i didn't get the solo or gel seat. but the 2012 america did fit my 2012 SM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2012 solo Low Profile seat..

Maverick72 -

You own the business, so of course you'd say that :)

I'd feel much more comfortable buying from you if you can provide me a real customer reference of someone who has fitted your seats on a 2012 Speedmaster. I'm definitely interested, but need to some assurance.

Hi Chris,
I understand where you are coming from about seat fitment and comfort. It is a very individual issue.
I know cross referencing owner forums is sometimes frowned upon but there are a lot of comments and reviews on the Maverick products at bonnevilleamerica.com, Just search the forums for Maverick seats or lowrider. The seat reviews include comments on comfort, looks, quality, and fitting..
For obvious reasons I won't give any customer details to anyone, but there are plenty of discussions on the net.. Fitting has been cross referenced for 2011 & 2012 models, customers have purchased to fit these and I have had no complaints at all, in fact quite the opposite.
Don't believe everything the dealer tells you.. you bought Triumph not Harley.. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts