Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 3000 miles on my 2012 Street triple R, purchased a few months ago. Now that the temperature is dropping I have had some issues with starting the bike in the morning. It will crank over for a second or two then stop abruptly, and the red oil light will come on. I have to turn the key off and back on and try a couple more times for it to fire up. This has happened maybe two or three mornings so far. After it starts I don't have any problems. After 600miles I used 15-50 synthetic maxima oil and had the problem one cold morning, and last week I changed to 10-40 synthetic motorex. Could it be a faulty oil sensor? Too much or too little oil? I haven't talked to the dealer yet, wanted to see what you guys thought.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Probably the the high viscosity oil which does thicken in cooler weather. You don't really need a 50W oil in a new bike, it just robs hp (I would only use it in a high mileage bike or for racing). Nothing to do with oil pressure. Check that the battery terminals are tight, but those OEM lead-acid batteries are marginal anyway cos the manufacturers use the smallest battery they can get away with. Get an 18Ah Shorai battery (lithium and 5 lbs lighter $190) and your starting problems are over for 10yrs. Also do a 10 min tune; start the bike from cold and let it idle without touching the throttle until the rad fan comes on; this should reset the idle control. - Wayne

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for the reply. I have the 10-40 oil in it right now, and just had the problem this morning. I do have a ballistic 8 cell lithium battery, which is 275 cca, and haven't had a problem with it.

-edit- just had a thought, maybe I need to let the battery warm up by leaving the key on for a little while. I will try this tomorrow morning. Also I could try putting in the original lead battery, never tried it on a cold day. That would narrow it down

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried to start it this morning, same thing. After it cranks for about a second the red oil pressure light comes on. After a few times it started up and ran fine.
When I turn my key on, the check engine light is on before I hit the starter. Is this normal? I am not sure if it has always done that. The check engine light has never come on while the engine is running though.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The lithium batteries don't like cold weather starting until the ions get revved up. That is why it starts on the second or third try, and is why I am using the strong Shorai18Ah model. http://www.ballisticparts.com/downloads/video/video2.php The oil pressure light and check engine light won't turn off until the engine starts. With the Shorai, the 18Ah is the same size as the 12 and 14Ah models so no problem fitting. The Ballistic 12 cell would be a better choice for cold weather if it would fit cos it is a pain waiting for the Striple to go through the reset procedure before attempting starting again. Sometimes leaving the lights on for a minute or so before starting helps. IMO the standard recommended lithium battery is fine for warm climates but not for temps below 50F. Even the standard lead-acid battery loses a lot of cranking power in cold weather and gets worse the longer you crank it unlike a lithium battery which does the opposite. - Wayne

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Probably the the high viscosity oil which does thicken in cooler weather. You don't really need a 50W oil in a new bike, it just robs hp (I would only use it in a high mileage bike or for racing). Nothing to do with oil pressure. Check that the battery terminals are tight, but those OEM lead-acid batteries are marginal anyway cos the manufacturers use the smallest battery they can get away with. Get an 18Ah Shorai battery (lithium and 5 lbs lighter $190) and your starting problems are over for 10yrs. Also do a 10 min tune; start the bike from cold and let it idle without touching the throttle until the rad fan comes on; this should reset the idle control. - Wayne
Is the 10 min (or 12) tune a good idea now that the temps are dropping so the bike adjusts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same problem. Bought my street triple r 2010. couldnt start the bike even in summer. in the end, it was the fuel pump. Replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fuel pump, interesting. although i think my problem is battery related, i am using a lightweight lithium one and i think maybe the voltage drops too much when its cold. Never had a problem starting in the warmer weather.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The lithium batteries don't like cold weather starting until the ions get revved up. That is why it starts on the second or third try, and is why I am using the strong Shorai18Ah model. http://www.ballisticparts.com/downloads/video/video2.php The oil pressure light and check engine light won't turn off until the engine starts. With the Shorai, the 18Ah is the same size as the 12 and 14Ah models so no problem fitting. The Ballistic 12 cell would be a better choice for cold weather if it would fit cos it is a pain waiting for the Striple to go through the reset procedure before attempting starting again. Sometimes leaving the lights on for a minute or so before starting helps. IMO the standard recommended lithium battery is fine for warm climates but not for temps below 50F. Even the standard lead-acid battery loses a lot of cranking power in cold weather and gets worse the longer you crank it unlike a lithium battery which does the opposite. - Wayne
Wayne, I just ordered SHORAI LITHIUM ION BATTERY YAMAHA V MAX 1700 09-12 LFX18A1-BS12

can you please confirm that this is the right one for street triple?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I believe it comes fully charged, but best to check it with a voltmeter (should never be below 13v, should be between 13.25 and 14.25v). You should use a low amp charger around 1A (that does NOT have a desulphation mode) and carefully check voltage to prevent over-charging. If the battery is already partially charged it should charge up fully in a half hour. Disconnect the battery if the bike is in storage more than a few weeks. - Wayne

·
Registered
165 Posts
It might be apples and oranges but the Li batteries on my Zero S won't charge at all starting at 20 F and charge poorly below freezing. My garage is always 60 F or higher though, even on the coldest of nights, so low temp is never a problem for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts