Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there Fellas
Hows it going? I have a custom build [2012 Bonne SE mag wheel]at my shop and have ordered some Alpina Spoked wheels for it,
I have been sent the front hub for the early Bonne/Thrux/Scrambler laced with a 17 inch rim. The mag wheel bike has a different hub casting ,
After much confusion due to model differences in italy and the USA I cannot get the hub for a mag wheel bike
So my question is!!
what would it take to fit the early bonne/thrux hub to the mag wheel bike?
I take it I will need a thruxon rotor and a L H fork lower, will the thrux fork lower fit the SE forks internally and is it compatable

Any help or info wpould be appriciated as I am at a dead end with it right now?

Thanks a lot
Adrian

Attachments

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Ade, the forks on a mag wheel bonnie are farther apart than those of a spoke wheel. As far as I know you will need new spacers for the axle and something to either move the brake rotor to the caliper or the caliper to the rotor.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
On my way out the door so I can't elaborate right now, but you need the following:

lower fork legs
speedo drive
correct brake rotor for whichever fork legs you use

Nothing to fabricate since the axle simply slides through further on the right side and takes up the 1/8" difference in triple tree spread.

Cheers,

--Rich

PS - I've posted specifics on this, so search my posts and you'll find a couple of other threads with more detail.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys fellas
I was thinking if we are to get a new lower leg then we may as well upgrade to the thruxton and have a 320mm braking rotor on the front to beef the brakes up a bit and they would look bitchen on the alpina wheels,
So to to the alpina wheel with thruxton brake I would need

Alpina wheel with early hub

Thruxton 320mm braking rotor

Speedo drive

Thruxton lh lower, would this fit the SE fork internalls? [would I need the right so the fender bolts line up?]

what would it take to line the caliper up with the rotor as this is the main problem due to the wider forks ??

Unfortunatly I dont have the bike here at the shop , my customer Rob has it and is out of town at the moment so I cant really measure anything.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Yes, you need both lower legs to get the fender level, eliminate the speedo tit on the right lower leg, and account for any other unforseen differences that neither you nor I know of at this time. The sliders themselves are completely interchangeable & they'll bolt right up without issue (once you get the bloody lower allen head fastener to let go).

No worries on the rotor lining up since the correct left side spacing is accounted for when using either thruxton or bonneville speedo drive. The extra distance between the triple trees is taken up when you insert the axle (from the right side) and tighten it down...it simple slides over more to the left and takes up the extra 1/8 inch. You'll see what I mean when you fit it up.

Good luck,

--Rich

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've done the mag wheel swap. I'm in LA if you want to see it.

Thanks for the replys fellas
I was thinking if we are to get a new lower leg then we may as well upgrade to the thruxton and have a 320mm braking rotor on the front to beef the brakes up a bit and they would look bitchen on the alpina wheels,
So to to the alpina wheel with thruxton brake I would need

Alpina wheel with early hub

Thruxton 320mm braking rotor

Speedo drive

Thruxton lh lower, would this fit the SE fork internalls? [would I need the right so the fender bolts line up?]

what would it take to line the caliper up with the rotor as this is the main problem due to the wider forks ??

Unfortunatly I dont have the bike here at the shop , my customer Rob has it and is out of town at the moment so I cant really measure anything.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Again
Thanks for the input,
If we just used the bonne SE forks and used a regular 310 bonne rotor, run the bike with a fork brace and no fender ....that would work?

So the only problem is the brake caliper spacing? if the SE forks are wider to accomodate the wider mag wheel spokes then the caliper only requires to sit inside a bit more and that would be 2 small spacers machining , correct?

Adrian

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I wanted to do the T-100 wheel to 2012 Mag Wheel bike. I bought the wheels and fork tubes/sliders from a member. When all is bolted up the wheel and caliper hug the left fork. If I made wheel spacers and centered everything, the caliper would not line up. That's when I saw the triple tree difference. I bought a Scrambler. It suits me better. I still have the forks if you are interested. I like having a spare set of wheels for the SCRAM.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I wanted to do the T-100 wheel to 2012 Mag Wheel bike. I bought the wheels and fork tubes/sliders from a member. When all is bolted up the wheel and caliper hug the left fork. If I made wheel spacers and centered everything, the caliper would not line up. That's when I saw the triple tree difference. I bought a Scrambler. It suits me better. I still have the forks if you are interested. I like having a spare set of wheels for the SCRAM.
Where you went wrong was trying to center up the wheel. You need to use the stock spacer on the left side of the mag wheel to maintain the caliper alignment...on the right you need to take ~0.15 inches off the mag wheel speedo drive in order to narrow up the wheel assembly enough to keep from spreading the forks.

It worked fine for me putting mag wheels on my thruxton and the T100 front hub is identical. I guess buying another bike is also a 'solution'!!

Regards,

--Rich

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Hi Again
Thanks for the input,
If we just used the bonne SE forks and used a regular 310 bonne rotor, run the bike with a fork brace and no fender ....that would work?

So the only problem is the brake caliper spacing? if the SE forks are wider to accomodate the wider mag wheel spokes then the caliper only requires to sit inside a bit more and that would be 2 small spacers machining , correct?
Okay...one more time.

1. - Don't 'F' with the left side of the wheel if you want the caliper to line up on the rotor. If you are running the mag wheel lower legs and a mag wheel, use the stock spacer on the left side. If you are running a spoked wheel, then fit the proper speedo drive on the left. This spacing cannont change or you'll screw yourself over like 'oldhogrider' did...

2. - The fact that your mag wheel triple trees are wider is NOT an issue...nothing needs to be fabricated. The axle on our bikes is stepped, with the step/larger girth in the axle forming the 'spacer' on the right side of the wheel. The axle simply slides further to the left to make up the extra width.

Now, as far as running the spoked wheel on the mag wheel lower legs, you can do it but the tit holding the speedo drive from spinning is then on the wrong side. There's a guy who fabricates a spacer to replace the speedo drive on the spoked bikes - his shop's name slips my mind at the moment - but that would work for you if you want to sacrafice the mechanical speedo or you can add/have an electronic speedo.

Lastly, you can search the forum for the blow by blow description that 'tpark' did for his installation of scrambler wheels on his mag wheel bonnie. Pics are already posted in that thread...

Regards,

--Rich

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I would say not...the tires flex more than that under any sort of loading. TPark could probably comment on this more than I can...

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The problem with messing with the left side wheel spacing is that the rotor moves with the wheel...shift away from stock and you need to make precise changes to the caliper mounts on the fork leg to match.

So it isn't as easy as just adding a washer to shift things back to the right..

Regards,

--Rich

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about that after I posted. I don't think I am going to mess with my mag wheels. I wouldn't mind having the spoke ones, but it sounds like more trouble than I want to deal with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts