Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I have often wondered how well a Triumph air cooled would pull a side car. What can you tell us ?...J.D.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
BVA,
Thanks for the kind comment! Yes, I did all of the work myself, and encourage others to do the same, it gives you a much better understanding of your machine, you learn its limitations, quirks, etc..

As far as using an America for a tug, it pulls the Velorex with ease, and handles great. I didn't even bother with a car brake, it is only around 150 lbs..

I have always liked the looks of the America, and bought it specifically to put a sidecar on, I just can't hold a bike up anymore.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wire Wheels,
It does a great job as a tug, and looks good doing it in my opinion. Definitely not a direct bolt on , but with basic tools I was able to come up with the mounts for the lower rear and lower front, not all that difficult.
I havent ridden a passenger in it yet other than my pup, "Tucker", don't really plan to, but I'm sure it would do the job.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2014 Bonneville
463 Posts
Your rig looks great! What size is your rear tire? When my Ural was on the road, I often wished I could run fatter tires on it, especially the rear. Have you noticed any excessive wear on the rear tire yet? I am in the process of rigging up my old Ural sidecar to my Bonnie. Check it out here:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Your rig looks great! What size is your rear tire? When my Ural was on the road, I often wished I could run fatter tires on it, especially the rear. Have you noticed any excessive wear on the rear tire yet? I am in the process of rigging up my old Ural sidecar to my Bonnie. Check it out here:

Correction - rear 15" front 16" hack 16", sorry.

Thanks Mike! Rear tire and hack tire are both 16" front tire is a 15. I only have 150 or so miles on the rig so to early to check tire wear yet.

Ural / Bonnie set up is nice!

·
Registered
299 Posts
It would probably be prohibitively expensive, but if you could slap on a matching paint job, that would be amazing.

Reactions: TBAJUNKIE

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Mike,
The rear tire is a 15", front 16", and the hack has a 16".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would probably be prohibitively expensive, but if you could slap on a matching paint job, that would be amazing.
Yeah, that is way above my pay grade, I am actually okay with the black tub though, its growing on me!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi That's a great looking bike, I really admire the work you put into to it, And have fixed it up looks like a really good Job and the co-rider looks cool (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Super cool setup! I’ve thought about buying an America to run a sidecar. My wife can’t ride with me these days without using a sidecar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts