Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to the site and looking for bit of advice . Cooling fan not coming on .ran wires to it it works - crosses relay fan comes on . And fuse is fine . Here’s where puzzle starts Is temp sender unit screwed into head at left / gear-lever side
crossed wires coming out of it nothing happens so don’t know if it’s that unit or wiring to relay from unit - Any advice would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
742 Posts
Standard 'on' setting is 103°C. That usually presents as at least 6 bars on Tiger1050 and often a solid 7 bars. Are you saying you're getting 7 bars or higher without it switching on? And yes, the temperature sender is on the lhs of the cylinder head at the rear. I've attached a picture to help you locate it. It's a bear to get to if you have to replace it.
20160816_092359.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you yes bars go to 8 or nine bars then didn’t let it go higher. Open road cooled it down . I saw that out sensor in head - should crossing Two wires from That sensor get fan to turn on cuz on mine it doesn’t with ignition on

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't think the sender is a simple n/o switch so jumping the connections won't do it. It sends resistance to the ECU which switches the relay at a particular value (that's why we're able to adjust the 'on' point. It's gotta be either the sender (less likely since the gauge works) or the relay. My guess is the relay. Try hooking up TuneBOY or TuneECU and switching it manually.

·
Super Moderator
2,248 Posts
Hello, welcome to the site.
You can try putting 12V to the fan to just be sure it is working. Also check that no obstruction is holding he fan. Debris, tight bearing or sleeve. Just a couple ideas for you.
The Tiger section here has many riders that can also give you some other ideas and if this is a frequent problem or a rarity.

I hope you find this Triumph site to be a great place to meet and talk all Triumph bikes with a great bunch of riders.

Everyone here is very willing to help with any issues or concerns with your bike. This is really a great bunch of riders very willing to help other riders.

Cruise around the different sections and find where you fit comfortably. There are tech sections for each of the many models of Triumphs and chat sections for the same. Also we have a great classifieds section that is well worth checking out.

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in.

If you haven't already please fill out your profile. It helps others to know what you ride and where on the planet you are located.

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining the Triumph Rat Family.

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them.

Acceptable Use Policy

Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

Classified Ad Rules - Read first before placing Ad
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/classifieds-rules.578169/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you
Makes sense terry
I will try new relay in morn if not
Where is connector for computer/diagnostics will car diagnostic system work as mate has one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
  • I don't think the sender is a simple n/o switch so jumping the connections won't do it. It sends resistance to the ECU which switches the relay at a particular value (that's why we're able to adjust the 'on' point. It's gotta be either the sender (less likely since the gauge works) or the relay. My guess is the relay. Try hooking up TuneBOY or TuneECU and switching it manually.
    I replaced relay and all good thank you for your help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced relay and we are happy days and I had tested old one which appeared to work but new one did the trick . Appreciate your help Terry cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts