Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently realized that the owner handbook that came with my brand-new 2011 T100 was outdated - the dealer told me Castrol had been the official oil for a couple of years already, yet my manual still recommended Mobile 1.

I was really surprised that Triumph failed keep their printed owner handbooks up to date - what a lack of attention to details. In the case of engine oil, not a big deal though - at least the oil specification in the handbook was correct.

In order not to be misled by obsolete information, I downloaded the handbook from Triumph's website directly today:
http://www.triumph.co.uk/media/en-US/900hbk_EN_US(1).pdf

However, on page 109, Mobile is still the official oil. Very well. Now the real confusion is about tire pressures, the downloaded PDF says on page 107 that 38 psi for rear tire, but my printed handbook says 41 psi for rear!

Since both listed the wrong oil, I don't know which one (if any) is right about rear tire pressure. Any ideas folks?

Also, if I've been over inflating my rear tire, could any damage have been done to it? I've noticed some pressure loss on the rear tire (about 4 psi a week). If damage has been done, and due to wrong information given by the dealer/manufacturer, could I request warranty replacement? I know tires aren't under warranty normally.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just took a look on the frame, right side in front of tank, 33 front and 41 rear. It looked like my downloaded PDF handbook was more obsolete. :(

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Panic over then? Triumph changed their recommended rear tyre pressure for the Bonneville when they introduced the version with cast wheels and seem to have applied the change (from 38 psi to 41 psi) to the spoked wheeled versions too. In reality the recommended pressure is just that, a recommendation. You may well find that (slightly) different pressures work better for you and the particular brand/size of tyre you use if you change from the OEM tyres. I've been using 42 psi in my rear Avon Roadrider (35 psi front) for a couple of years because that works better for me. Losing about 4 psi a week from tubed tyres is not out of the ordinary and varies between tubes (and valves). Ironically the cheap and nasty Chinese tube I currently have in the rear loses air much more slowly than the more costly Michelin, Continental and Metzeler tubes I've used in the past.

As far as which oil Triumph currently recommends, that's just marketing BS. Any good quality oil of the correct specification from a reputable supplier will do the job (cue a torrent of posts expounding the virtues of the poster's favourite brand...).

·
Premium Member
Denver, CO United States of America
7,488 Posts
There are many opinions regarding tire pressure, and oil...I run 32 psi front and 40 psi rear. This has worked our well and besides I like even numbers. Yes, the rear tire does drop pressure after a week or so, 2-4 psi, but the front remains pretty much constant. Regarding oil...that is popular topic here. I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. But as long as you use a quality product of motorcycle oil synthetic or not, and change it regularly, you will be just fine.

Bob

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I've probably become a bit paranoid after realizing that I'd likely used up my new-rider luck - last summer I did 2000 miles on a 27-year old beemer without checking tire pressures once :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
2011 t100 owner handbook, says 270° engine!
Must be true then!!! Glad I've got an old T100 with the 360 engine. There was also a version of the owner's manual a while back which stated 33psi as the rear tyre pressure on a Thruxton. Obviously a dodgy cut and paste job on someone's part and not caught by the proof readers (if they have them).

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
My 2010 T100 manual says 33/38.

Don't even ask about the chain specs :D

EDIT: OOPS!!!

My 2010 T100 OWNERS manual says 33/38 manual -Chain at 25-35mm

Yet the 2010 T100 Owners manual online has 33/41 and chain slack at 15-30mm

My 2010 T100 SERVICE manual say 33/41 - Chain at 20-30mm

Too bad the oil spec isn't all over the map. Then dealers would have an excuse for not filling the proper amounts :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.