Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joys of being new & buying a used bike...

I just bought a 2011 Speedmaster today and I'm super excited to get on the road. Naturally, it's a used vehicle so there has to be at least one thing I have to do before it's ready right, haha.

The previous owner said it's been sitting in the garage for a while and wasn't used much over the last few years. He says he flushed the fluids a couple weeks ago and everything was running great. He went to start it the other day (before listing it for sale) and realized the battery was shot so he bought a new one. He was gonna charge the new battery and install it today, but I bought it before he was able to do that.

While at his house we plugged the new battery in and had enough juice to turn on the power and check the lights, but it didn't have enough juice to turn over. I bought it anyways, even though it wasn't running because it was a stupidly good deal – so I took the risk. I trailered it home, charged the battery as the box instructed for 3 hours then installed it on the bike. Everything's hooked up properly, but I've got no power at all. I've checked the voltage of the battery and it has full juice. I've checked all the fuses and nothing's blown.

Any suggestions about what to check next? My idea is maybe the ignition switch. Thoughts?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Seems odd that it at least had some juice at his place and you could see that and now nothing. Maybe check the connections again? Maybe one of them jarred loose on the ride home?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
As noted above ^, cycle that thumb kill switch. It is only one of several safety lockouts, like the side stand, neutral and clutch handle switches. Also, the ECU has a battery voltage threshold that must be met before engaging the starter. Not knowing the state of the new battery I would want to be sure of it being fully charged. You say it was on charge for 3 hours but was it still charging at that time or are you using a smart type charger that indicated the battery was fully charged?
Go back through things and see if the headlamp comes on and does the fuel pump prime/whir when the key is turned on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> I had already ruled out the fuses.
> Kill switch was fine.
> The battery was actually installed by me after I got home and charged it for 3 hours so it couldn't have been a lose connection from the trailer ride home.

I ran out of daylight yesterday and deciding to start troubleshooting again today. Took a look at it this morning. The guy I bought it from doesn't appear to have been the sharpest tool in the shed since I already discovered he was previously riding with literally NO rear brakes. So I decided to do a once over of the bike and see what else might be out of place. Sure enough... he told me yesterday when he installed the battery at his house to start charging it that there was no negative connector to the bike. I remember thinking that was one of the strangest things I'd heard, but being new to motorcycles and new to Triumphs I thought... anything's possible and maybe it's something new I wasn't aware of in the world of batteries and vehicles. So today (in the daylight) I started following wires and sure enough... of course there's a negative! Someone had oddly attached it to a different part of the bike. I moved it to the negative on the battery and voila... she starts right up! And sound really nice might I add :)

Mystery solved.

Thanks for trying to help @15Speed, @jfsn_usc and @MattyMo!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts