Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I ride a BMW R100T. If got the option to buy an almost new Scramber 2011. What is your experience in touring? I am touring often in Summer 4000 km trips, sometimes two up, more often not. Two panniers are a must. I do mostly 250 km max a day on the Beemer. Not off road, some gravel, but it’s difficult with the Beemer. Never had a problem wit a hurting butt or other, Seat is all stock. What about reliability? Tire change in the go? What parts to take with you on a long trip ? New seat required? Thanks a lot guys. Love these bikes and the looks of the Scrambler. Could be just a bit more off road capable then my R100T. Thanks for sharing your touring experience.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
This is a T100 with Scrambler headers so no rt side luggage. A bigger bag than the the City Bag on the left side would have been useful. I travel light, happened to be fall in Nova Scotia and we rode down to Barber in Alabama for the races so had to carry more clothing than usual because of the difference in weather (- 3 deg to + 25 deg and back to -6 deg) You should change the seat, this one is the single with rack, rack is strengthened, pic is down south a ways so extra clothing is packed. Had a few tools spread about the 3 'bikes, nothing too serious. Two up might be a tight fit, depending on what luggage you take. The 'bikes are up for it, was a little bit jealous of the BMW's heated grips once or twice though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Getting a pannier on the right side will be impossible unless you install a new, lower exhaust system. But I've done a few several-hundred-mile trips on my Scrambler with my wife on the back - it's been great! Stock seat has been more than comfortable.

I just have one saddlebag on the left and luggage rack with a Kuryaken bag. Plenty of space for a weekend, but you may also want to utilize seat space for storage as well if you're doing trips longer than that.

Happy riding :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Perfectly comfortable with my wife and me on board but... I did install a low exhaust because my wife didn't like the heat. As an extra benefit I have a bag mount for both sides. And it sounds better...

I also installed IKON Basix shocks with a heavier spring rate. The stock shocks bottomed easily when loaded. I used the same spring rate Ikon uses for two up Airhead applications.

The seat length is roughly the same as my V-Strom. The V-Strom is now for sale if that says anything and it was comfortable enough that my wife and I did an Iron Butt 1000 day on it.

My wife is just 5' though, longer legs might benefit from adjustable passenger pegs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts