Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story so far. I had a 2007 Standard Street Triple on which I did 18,000 trouble free miles apart from when the engine turned white after I washed it one day.
I traded it in for a 2011 Speed (non ABS) in May, it's now done 1800 miles and its a bit of an embarrassment. The front brake squeaks and the rear brake moans, great if you wan to be noticed when you are filtering, mentioned it when I took it in for its first service, where tghey did something to silence it which lasted about 25 miles. Engaging 1st gear is always clunky and loud and what's really irritating is that my BMW driving friend said it sounded like a sledgehammer hitting an oil drum half full of water. I read everywhere that when the low fuel lamp comes on, the display automatically changes to range to empty, mine doesn't unless I push one of the buttons, not good if you are doing 70mph and finally one of the headlights has a crack in the lens, not stone chip related.
Does anyone else have these issues or have I got a dog?

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
Welcome Woodydog
Please add the Model Year to your profile so it shows under your screen name in left margin.

The headlight crazing is a common issue - http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/169446-possible-2011-headlight-recall-looming.html
I'm sure Triumph are scrambling over this one, as it appears to be widespread.

The first gear clunk -
Most FI bikes 'clunk' because the rpm is generally much higher than a carb bike - surprised you are seeing significant difference vs the Street 3.
- probably worse when cold I would expect, when the idle speed is higher? Is clutch cable adjusted properly? What oil are you using now?

Brake squeeks - well you might just end up getting different pads; copper-slip (sparingly!!) on the metal back-side of pads will help somewhat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have all same issues as you described,but i wouldn't call them a major fault. Cracked head light is now well known manufacturing fault, and triumph replaces it under the warranty. Squeaky brakes is something of a triumph tradition ( i had three triumphs ) usually indicates that pads are dirty. I have same "clank" noise, but i actually quite like it, its purposeful sound, not like girly japanese bikes "clink". However not sure what u meant by low fuel light.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The only one of those i have is the ugly groaning/grinding from the rear brake.

I have noticed the clutch clunk has got better and false neutrals are becoming much less common now. Mine has 1400 miles on it.

No headlight cracking... yet

I don't use the range thingy, so i have no idea if thats normal or not.

Try pulling the clutch in twice before engaging 1st gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Street didn't clunk half as much as this one, oil is what the Triumph dealer put in when he changed it at the first service so I don't really know, it doesn't get better when it's warm and the clutch is correctly adjusted.

By low fuel light I meant the fuel warning indicator which comes on when there are 3 bars left on the fuel gauge and surely the pads can't be dirty after 20 miles from the delaer and after he had cleaned them.

Thanks for the help, but I'm still not convinced.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Street didn't clunk half as much as this one, oil is what the Triumph dealer put in when he changed it at the first service so I don't really know, it doesn't get better when it's warm and the clutch is correctly adjusted.

By low fuel light I meant the fuel warning indicator which comes on when there are 3 bars left on the fuel gauge and surely the pads can't be dirty after 20 miles from the delaer and after he had cleaned them.

Thanks for the help, but I'm still not convinced.
Also check that your chain is adjusted properly, a loose chain will exaggerate the clunk noise.

I have heard others are having front brake rotor issues with warping, Have your dealer verify this is not causing your brake noise in the front.

And the fuel range change over was a typo in the owners manual. When you get to two bars the light will come on, but you do have to switch display modes to see the distance to empty.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Display doesn't switch to range, search the forum, it's a fault in the manual.

Squeaky brakes will go away eventually, mine stopped this week, but the pads on my car kept squeaking for 6 months, brought her back to the dealer 3 times and that usually solved it for a couple of days. Copper-grease didn't help a thing, well the car's also british, maybe that's the problem ;)

The clunk? You got practically twice the torque and 16000 miles less on it, at least let it run in before you compare them.

Mounted my replacement headlights today, dealer saw the cracks last week and got me a replacement set, said he'd deal with Triumph.

You got no dog, just don't listen to your friend after you've beat him around the track again ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have to say i am concerned about the rear brake grinding, it happens if i have been hard on the front brake and the back has gone light. After that the first application of the rear brake produces a nasty grinding noise and a rough feeling through the pedal as though the pads have backed off.

I have checked everything and cant see anything wrong/loose or wearing strangely. :confused:

This is going to have to go back to the dealer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I too have the 2011 S3,the brakes squeak....beats me why, not to bad on mine thank god... Bit annoying. The gear box will free up and get better..Its the character of the bike.... Its not a Jap inline 4 :eek:

These bikes have character and quirks....that's why we buy them. I came from a 2010 VFR 800..silky smooth...to a Speed!

First ever Triumph and i love it... For the above facts...It's different :D

You have made the right decision mate..It will get better....:p

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 2011 ABS model has 840 miles on it....no cracked headlights, no squeaks, no clunks.
I beat the living hell out of the bike since day one (on the rev limiter the first ride) and the bike has far exceeded my expectations. I didn't follow (even remotely) the break in procedure (I never do). I have performed rediculous rapid stops from high speed, as well as tested the ABS in the rain (just rear, just front and both applied at once) with perfect results.
I've changed the engine oil and filter (once) at 600 miles or so, at which time the shifting became much more smooth through the gears. As for the 1st gear clunk, I thought it was a bit much prior to the 1st oil change, but now its like any other bike I've owned (42 to date)
My suggestion........change the oil & ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Display doesn't switch to range, search the forum, it's a fault in the manual.

Squeaky brakes will go away eventually, mine stopped this week, but the pads on my car kept squeaking for 6 months, brought her back to the dealer 3 times and that usually solved it for a couple of days. Copper-grease didn't help a thing, well the car's also british, maybe that's the problem ;)

The clunk? You got practically twice the torque and 16000 miles less on it, at least let it run in before you compare them.

Mounted my replacement headlights today, dealer saw the cracks last week and got me a replacement set, said he'd deal with Triumph.

You got no dog, just don't listen to your friend after you've beat him around the track again ;)
I bought my 2011 S3 ABS ~2 weeks ago, had read about some of the issues here before purchase. Completely agree with Marco. Only issue I have not experienced is the headlight cracking. Brake squeal is annoying, but seems to be getting less as I ride more, and I have reduced the clunk by changing my shifting technique (came off a 2007 FZ1).

One suggestion is to ride with earplugs. When you don't hear a squeak or clunk, and the bike performs flawlessly you can more easily chalk it up to minor annoyances than a critical problem.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No you haven't made a mistake!! I've come to Triumph from a KTM 990sm and i love my 2011 S3. Like the KTM its full of character, unlike the KTM the engine is smooth and for me glitch free...can't say i notice mine clunks anymore than anything else I've owned.....worst for that was my R1200GS now that really was an agricultural gearbox!! My brakes have never made any noises although my dealer does copper slip everything really well....as for the range countdown i spoke to Triumph direct about this and it isn't mean't to switch over its an error with the handbook....to be honest i think its a bit of a gimmick anyway....i just know now that the bike will do at least 160 miles even when you thrash it....again miles better economy than my KTM as well......:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2011 S3 ABS ~2 weeks ago, had read about some of the issues here before purchase. Completely agree with Marco. Only issue I have not experienced is the headlight cracking. Brake squeal is annoying, but seems to be getting less as I ride more, and I have reduced the clunk by changing my shifting technique (came off a 2007 FZ1).

One suggestion is to ride with earplugs. When you don't hear a squeak or clunk, and the bike performs flawlessly you can more easily chalk it up to minor annoyances than a critical problem.
I just bought a 2011 S3 ABS as well! We live fairly close... Where did you pick yours up? I had to go out of state to find a Black one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are a couple of niggles with new bike but they are only minor, My bike alos has had the cracked headlights but the dealer has been very honest and have said there is a problem with them and that they have changed the lenses so hopefully this should sort the problem out.
I traded a 2009 Fireblade in for the 2011 S3 and yes the transmission isn't as smooth but it isn't anywhere near as bad as some BMW's I've ridden in the past.
Haven't had any issues with the brakes.
All in all I am very happy with the bike, It's the perfect bike for the road and loads of fun.

Isn't that what riding is all about?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
123 Posts
All in all I am very happy with the bike, It's the perfect bike for the road and loads of fun.

Isn't that what riding is all about?

Cheers

Steve[/QUOTE]

Ditto!!:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
You've made a good purchase, don't worry. 1100 miles no problem with the lens cracking yet. I do have a little front brake squeak sometimes . I used to have a Yamaha fz6 that bike had the biggest clunk into first I've ever heard. No problem on the Speedy, she's just letting you know she's ready. I did have a little retaining clip left off the clutch pack from the factory that left me without a clutch at 500 miles. Dealer was great and fixed so no worries. I've been thrilled overall with the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also picked up a 2011 Speed with ABS in black and i too get a bit of a clunk into first but seems to be fine through the rest of the gears now that i'm using more of the rev range and giving it more stick.. No probs with the lights either... Oh i must just say though that after riding a sportsbike i'm having problems with confidence leaning through corners!! Got chicken strips that i had rid of in a few miles of riding a gixer 750..
Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also picked up a 2011 Speed with ABS in black and i too get a bit of a clunk into first but seems to be fine through the rest of the gears now that i'm using more of the rev range and giving it more stick.. No probs with the lights either... Oh i must just say though that after riding a sportsbike i'm having problems with confidence leaning through corners!! Got chicken strips that i had rid of in a few miles of riding a gixer 750..
Has anyone else experienced this?

Get it cranked over it will lean like a good un no problem!! LOL!! ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts