Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the CBR600RR shock installed and things are SOOOO much better. Compared to the stock shock on the std, this is like night and day and for $45 shipped and a few hours to switch, definitely worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cool, man! I certainly miss my CBR suspension on STD Triple as well. Getting tempted to get the Ohlins, though.
How do you find the front forks now?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had Traxxion put new springs, valves, and oil in the forks for my weight before doing the shock so the bike actually feels very well balanced. I would LOVE to get the Ohlins but simply cannot justify the cost.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
um that sounds awesome - I have the daytona rear, would you say this is better even? if there's an instruction link I'd love to see!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
um that sounds awesome - I have the daytona rear, would you say this is better even? if there's an instruction link I'd love to see!
I don't honestly know if this is better than the Daytona or not but I do know that some don't like the stiff spring of the Striple R and the Daytona spring is the same, right (12.6kg/mm). The RR spring is 11kg/mm which is about right for a rider around 170lbs on the Striple according to Race Tech. The Pro-Link suspension coupled with the Honda Multi-Action System (HMAS) damper supposedly delivers both superior road-holding and a progressive, optimised suspension ratio. What do I know other than it feels MUCH better than the stock Striple (std) shock. Instructions? You mean on how to swap the shock?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm looking at doing the swap too what year cbr600rr shocks will fit a standard ST?
'05 - '11 appears to be the best fit (possibly '12 which may be the same as '11, just not sure). These have 4mm longer (130mm) travel than the stock std striple shock while the '03/'04s are only 119mm.
Edit: BTW, the one I put on mine is an '11.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I don't honestly know if this is better than the Daytona or not but I do know that some don't like the stiff spring of the Striple R and the Daytona spring is the same, right (12.6kg/mm). The RR spring is 11kg/mm which is about right for a rider around 170lbs on the Striple according to Race Tech.
Striple R spring is actally ~11.3 kg/mm - it is a progressive spring that averages 11.3-11.4 over ~50mm.

A friend who weighs in ~150 changed the spring on his R (stock shock), then tried the CBR shock, and said the Honda shock & spring was a vast improvement - good enough that he sold the stocker.
Also FWIW, a 2010 Yamaha R1 shock is a decent replacement although a little more work to install than the Honda shock.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Striple R spring is actally ~11.3 kg/mm - it is a progressive spring that averages 11.3-11.4 over ~50mm.
Could be, I was under the impression that was the stds spring rate and that the R was a stiffer spring, more closely matched to the Daytona. I got those numbers (11.28kg/mm for std; 12.6kg/mm for the "R") from the Race Tech site so it's certainly possible they are not correct.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Stock striple rear spring rate is 8.6 kg/mm. I measured that & the R spring myself on the test machine at work; had to get something useful done with the comp/tensile test machine that is mostly idle.

And the time I met Dave Moss (Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning) and mentioned that I'd found the Racetech spring values were off - he just laughed & agreed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
'05 - '11 appears to be the best fit (possibly '12 which may be the same as '11, just not sure). These have 4mm longer (130mm) travel than the stock std striple shock while the '03/'04s are only 119mm.
Edit: BTW, the one I put on mine is an '11.
Right.i don't realy want to get a shorter shock and effect the bikes handling .do I need the linkage from the cbr too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Instructions? You mean on how to swap the shock?
yes, that's what I was after, but truth be told I don't really trust myself enough. racetech is within striking distance to me, was considering having them do a spring swap on that daytona shock, but the CBR damping does sound intriguing. I'm pushing 180lbs so it sounds like a decent match and $30 to find out can't hurt...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...do I need the linkage from the cbr too?
No, but you will need longer bolts and some spacers. The top shock mount on the striple is a little wider than the Honda so need spacers (washers) to take up the extra space - you can reuse one of the stock bolts at the top. The bottom mount of the Honda shock is significantly wider than the stock shock so you'll need spacers to take up the extra space between the drop link plates where it attaches to the frame and the "dog bone"; you'll need longer bolts here and if you get the linkage from the Honda with the bolts you should be able to use those bolts if they are in good shape.

·
Registered
232 Posts
you'll need longer bolts here and if you get the linkage from the Honda with the bolts you should be able to use those bolts if they are in good shape.
...and the bearings/spacers too!

(still need washers for the top mount though - check out McMaster-Carr for these...i might have some extras if you can't find them locally)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Got the CBR600RR shock installed and things are SOOOO much better. Compared to the stock shock on the std, this is like night and day and for $45 shipped and a few hours to switch, definitely worth it.

There are a few of the black newer ones on ebay, but they are ranging from $49. to $399.. Are they the same shock? I know it's probably hard to know Honda parts, but do they have an upgrade like the ST3R has a better shock?

Thx, Larry

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
There are a few of the black newer ones on ebay, but they are ranging from $49. to $399.. Are they the same shock? I know it's probably hard to know Honda parts, but do they have an upgrade like the ST3R has a better shock?

Thx, Larry
I've seen some on eBay shown as RR shocks but I believe they are for the CBR600RA, ABS bikes. I believe the ones with the remote reservoir are the RA ones which are a little more expensive. I really don't have a good explanation for the huge range in price, they are $800 - $1,000 parts brand new. I guess it's almost impossible to know if their statements are really true; the one I bought was supposedly off a 2011 with 2965 miles. I looked at how long the seller had been around (since '99) and his positive feedback (>99%) and decided to take a $45 chance. Based on how the shock looks and the condition of the linkage and bolts, I do believe they were telling the truth in my case. To answer your question specifically, I do not believe there are any other shock "upgrades" to the RR. A quick search of the Honda parts catalog only shows one available shock option for the 2011 RR, at least.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 26 Posts