Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Next "Scooter"

New article in the General News Forum:

2010 Triumph Thunderbird review
This is the review that sold me even though I fell in love with the Thunderbird the very first time I saw a picture of it at the Triumph website. It was a heart warming experience when the "New Triumph Motorcycle Company" began building air cooled twins since I beleve that two (2) cylinders is enough for any motorcycle and although this one is liquid cooled, dealing with all of the heat of a big bore bike is a problem. I have owned a couple of Shovelhead Harleys and the "hot leg syndrome" was always my biggest complaint along with the oil spot under it after a long ride. I don't care that the Thunderbird is liquid cooled because it is what I intend to own and ride every day except when it is snowing. Plus it has a name that is true to the heritage of my all time favorite brand of motorcycles.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Seven weeks ago,I purchased a brandy new 2010 T bird SE and have almost 5000 miles on it already, hence the reason I came on board here to learn from the pros and share any info that I have gathered on it.Comin from a full blown dresser,this was quite a change for me.

Everything the articles say about the Bird is true.It IS an awesum machine.The ride is excellent.The SE model comes with the touring seat.The performance is excellent,as is the torque curve which you can actually feel starting at the 2000 rpm mark,the motor is SMOOTH,but is also quite loud after 3500 rpm which you can really hear if you have a windscreen.And the heat the 1600 motor generates on hot days,which has been the norm around here for the last few months, is also awesum or should I say REAL HOT,lol,especially when the fan comes on.Phew!! lol However,I've also discovered that,if the machine is driven nice,shifting into OD asap,and kept under 70 mph,the fuel economy is decent.I'm averaging 50 mpg which ain't bad at all for an almost 800 lb cruiser.The SE comes with a good sized removable windscreen.With the screen on,you can hear EVERYTHING in the motor.Take it off,and you hear nothing but the wind blowing by.The exhaust is not loud at all but does have a nice rumble to it.The brakes are excellent.The SE model comes with ABS as standard equipment.I haven't had to use em yet and hope I never do.lol The suspension is also excellent.Although, I did have a problem with my front shocks which has finally corrected itself.But I'll go into that another time.lol The handlebar position is comfortable and there is NO VIBRATION.The handling is excellent.It's predictable and goes around corners REAL good which I believe in part that the big rear tire,200/50ZR/17 and small front tire,120/50ZR/19, are responsible for.The six speed gear box is also excellent.It's predictable,smooth and,as long as ya drive it nice,I find that I can run in sixth gear at 45 mph all day long, as long as I feather the throttle and don't try to accelerate hard.

However,I have found something that I didn't like which is that big rear tire which is a Metsler 880,that triumph had made specifically for the Bird.Recommended pressures are 38 rear,36 front,which I believe is for the guy who likes to drive around corners at warp factor III.lol The problem is that,at 200+ bucks a pop for the rear tire,depending on where you buy it,plus installation if ya can't do it yourself [I can] the life of the tire is unacceptable.My rear is already half worn.I have already bought a pair of back up tires,the same size and make for it,but I don't think changing that rear tire every 8,000 miles or so is feasible and could become real expensive real quick.I will be going to the DARK SIDE once I find the correct size that's compatible with that 200/50ZR/17 tire.
But,everything considered,Triumph DEFINITELY has a winner here.I like it,but I'm just a DUH!! lol Dave!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought a 2009 Sprint ST ABS back in July for a road trip I had planned with a friend who was riding out from Rhode Island to meet me here in Denver. We headed west and did 2100 miles in 6 days. I came back loving multi-day rides, but thought the Sprint left a little bit to be desired for a long haul sport tour bike and I decided to start shopping for other bikes that might fit my riding style and desire for just a bit more comfort. I rode a bunch of metric cruisers and was even considering (hold your breath)... a Road Glide! Well, I decided to test-ride a Rocket III at the local Triumph dealership as another friend owns one and really loves it. Staying with the Triumph brand really appealed to me, so I gave it a ride. Not a bad bike, but it wasn't instant love. While back in the showroom (figured I'd let the sales guy see if he could talk me into it ;-) I spotted the blue/white stripe T-Bird out of the corner of my eye... like how most men react to beautiful women, the T-Bird's ass made me tingle! I knew about the Thunderbird, but it just wasn't on my radar. I asked the sales guy if there was a demo I could ride and he was more than happy to accommodate. Well... it was immediate LOVE almost before I hit second gear. What a fun bike to ride... nimble as a sport bike, comfortable as a cruiser should be, TONS of low-end torque, excellent looks and superb build quality... all wrapped around a lot of well-thought-out technology and high-performance components.

I test rode on a Friday, sold both my sport bikes the following Monday and rode my new T-Bird home on Tuesday. 500 miles and 2 weeks and I still get tingles every time I walk out into the garage and take her out on rides. I'm dreading the upcoming winter weather and am trying to get her broken in and get out on a few more longer rides before it gets too foul to ride in Colorado and points west!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Dang ... that's the colour combo I was just sitting on.
Just came back from the dealer and thought I would log on to see what the general feeling is on the bike. I usually hang out on the "classic and vintage" page .
I do have a '09 street triple R and I'm wondering if I'll miss the light weight and nimble handling.

more reading to do

1 - 6 of 6 Posts