Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turn the key on, all instrument lights, etc, turn on, but starter will not even "click", like some "Safety interlock" is preventing current getting to the starter. I check gear in neutral & green light on, kickstand up, kill switch to "run", etc., but no response. Recycle all, sometimes works, sometimes not. Tried recycling one item at a time, but nothing seems conclusive. Then, on the way home today, the speedometer, tachometer, dash indicator (mileage, gas, time, etc.) goes wild (normal to zero and in-between, and then back, etc.) then off, then on, etc. I had oiled the kickstand switch with "corrosion X" but no joy yet. I will be checking for good connections and using contact cleaner and possibly dielectric grease, especially checking for good ground connections, starting at the battery. Anybody had any experience with this, or got a better idea???

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I checked everything I could, early this morning, and all I found was a loose negative battery terminal, but that could probably do it. Looks like a new battery also. I have had the bike about 3 weeks but have been busy. I came in to write it up, and then found your (Daycruiser) reply, and you were right on. It seems to be fine now, but time will tell. Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Same problem

I had the same problem but mine was the positive side. The screw on the battery post was too long and would bottom out leaving the connection loose. She would start some times. After a quick fix the problem is gone. I did put a new battery in because I thought that was the problem but used the same screws on the new install daaa.

I checked everything I could, early this morning, and all I found was a loose negative battery terminal, but that could probably do it. Looks like a new battery also. I have had the bike about 3 weeks but have been busy. I came in to write it up, and then found your (Daycruiser) reply, and you were right on. It seems to be fine now, but time will tell. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had some issues with a bad ground connection. It went from the negative on the battery down to the engine block to the center and back of the oil dip stick. It's covered with a black rubber boot and a bit hard to find at first. Mine was loose and I put in a star washer and re tightned it. Be careful if yours is loose not to over tighten it as it's going into an aluminum block. I had good volts at the battery but would not start. Another time I spaced out and the kill switch was on kill and that was a real brain drain as I went to replace the battery and it was good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No it's the black wire from the right side of the battery to the top of the engine block.

Find the dip stick and look about 1.5 inches toward the rear.

A quick check is to jump start the bike and attach the negative jumper or frame

Lucas the prince of darkness has been banished from modern triumphs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.