Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw were Triumph was taking deposits on the new "BIRD" and will be sooner than expected. Personally I can't wait to see one and maybe plan on buying one in 2010. Has anybody put a deposit down?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
T bird

I read somewhere that Triumph had air freighted three of the birds to Daytona for display at the Triumph Truck by the speedway. A couple of us are headed down there wednesday to see about test rides.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
t birds at Daytona

No test rides on the T birds just three sitting there with hollow motors been there last two days.
Rode a new efi America which ran very good and very smooth
The T birds look way better in person verses the pics.
The short piped bobtailed one on the pedastal is very nice as is the full dresser

·
Registered
837 Posts
Here's One at Daytona

I sat on this one yesterday in Daytona but it was a tease since no ride. It felt nothing like my Bonny but I would like to ride one! The seat felt lower than the Bonny and was a totally different feel.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Tbird II

Here's the one you couldn't sit on:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Will be heading to the speedway tomarrow and checking on it .

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hoggetowne Rats

Will be heading to the speedway tomarrow and checking on it .
Americana: I have a couple riding buds in Gainesville (Scram and Bonny) so if you ever want to get out with us let me know!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Saw one in the flesh on the Celtic Triumph stand at the Irish Bike Show over the weekend. Not exactly my cuppa earl gray, but it's a massive beast. Word on the Stand is that'll it'll be on Irish roads come September/October. Plenty of interest in the T/bird as well as the rest of the bikes on display. Met the crew from Celtic Triumph, good professional set-up, all knew their stuff

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ok , I probly will get banished to the enternal abiss . but isnt the way all of us are felling about the BIRD the same way the UMM , Umm , Harley guys felt about the V-Rod ? Some say they are a sell out while some say its about time a modern version of a classic ? Well thats they way we are acting . We need a bike like this . It is a fantastic bike . Apperance is WOW !! Give it a year to work all the bugs out ( if any ) and hang on the new BIRD is going to be the british version of a modern classic . Ok there its been said . let the bashing begin

·
Registered
62 Posts
t-bird

I plan on retiring (hopefully) in 2 years and I can see myself on a Thunderbird with the touring stuff on it pretty easily. Especially if they will make one Cardinal Red by then. I like the Rocket III but it just looks TOO big to me. I think the T-Bird will be the ideal size for me.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Reserving one Tomorrow

Based on the CycleWorld article on this fine machine and the way it looks in the lower picture in this article about the new bird at motorcycle-usa.com, I am hooked. I really like the looks and the power is is going to be perfect for this size bike. I think I'm going to order my first ABS optioned bike and I am definately going for the blue with white stripe. After looking at the pics in the article at this link I am definately going to chrome the wheels as some point too.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/355/1191/Motorcycle-Article/Triumph-Thunderbird-Set-for-2010.aspx

·
Registered
474 Posts
Anyone know if triumph can put a 360 degree crank in that engine? Set it up like the 865, the 270 degree for the TB and the 360 for a very big bonneville type bike. Maybe call it the Speedtwin. :icon_drink:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I am hooked. I really like the looks and the power is is going to be perfect for this size bike.
Have you heard pricing yet? If you could pick out a Rocket for mid $13k, would you still go with this twin? Never ridden a Rocket, but parked it feels pretty good. And I understand there is a bit of torque.

The new twin will be in Austin later this month on the tour. I'll get some good shots of the bike when it comes in.

I hear the water cooled business a lot with Harley, Ducati Monster etc. I suppose a radiator like the Bonnie oil cooler would be more aesthetic, but not very effective. I'd just get an 883 if I was really looking for torque. Thats not why I bought the Thruxton, but it would be nice to have more punch, if only for the cheap thrills.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ok , I probly will get banished to the enternal abiss . but isnt the way all of us are felling about the BIRD the same way the UMM , Umm , Harley guys felt about the V-Rod ? Some say they are a sell out while some say its about time a modern version of a classic ? Well thats they way we are acting . We need a bike like this . It is a fantastic bike . Apperance is WOW !! Give it a year to work all the bugs out ( if any ) and hang on the new BIRD is going to be the british version of a modern classic . Ok there its been said . let the bashing begin
I fully agree and I think it is one good looking cruiser, so much so I submitted my reservation for a blue one today. Obviously I'm not worried about intial bugs, I think Triumph will have it working pretty well right out of the gate.

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
snipped
The T birds look way better in person verses the pics.
snipped
And the radiator? It didn't look like an afterthought?
This has been my only qualm but I've heard that it's not so bad in person. Hard to believe though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't understand the concept. Instead of running w/360* motor they choose a 270* trying to mimic the loped, single pin kinda/sorta sound/feel then have to tack 20lbs on the crank/accessories to smooth it out. Instead of coming in around 650 it would appear it could've been 630 @ 360*, smoother and more responsive. Would've been nice if they'd ditched the forward controls or offered a classic peg arraignment w/pegs under your hips. I am soo weary of my feet stuck out in front.

All in all I'd buy this before the furry(new Honda wanna be chopper). Belt drive w/6 speed sounds good. Closer to what I'm looking for in a scoot, but ya can't hold a candle to the VTX left-over stock price...

The upswept pipes don't leave enough room, for me, for bags. Has a dorky headlight shroud that's definitely too small to be called a fairing, much like the Suzy 109. What, you go prone on the tank while your feet cut the wind?

They're allotting half of production to the US and are stumping for pre-orders/deposits o' reservation. I'm reading where some dealers are having problems moving the big triple. I'm still looking for a couple of road tests complete w/accurate spec sheets.

Gimmie some numbers I can crunch n compare...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/355/1191/Motorcycle-Article/Triumph-Thunderbird-Set-for-2010.aspx

Maximum Power In excess of 80 bhp

Maximum Torque In excess of 100 lb-ft

Dry Weight TBC

My deposit: In excess of one American dollar.

Check in the mail: TBA

I think it's kinda cheesy to want deposits when they can't come up w/solid numbers and a couple of real road tests complimented w/complete spec sheet...

Yeah I know, new meat & first post. I like a lot of what I see, but I'd like to see them trim the fat, dump the 200 for a 170-180, suck up the rake to 28.5-30* and along w/my previous comments bring the weight down close to 600lbs.
We can always dream. A set of high dollar rims would help w/weight. I'd like to see a little more sport in the power cruiser lines of all manufacturers...

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
I don't understand the concept. Instead of running w/360* motor they choose a 270* trying to mimic the loped, single pin kinda/sorta sound/feel then have to tack 20lbs on the crank/accessories to smooth it out. Instead of coming in around 650 it would appear it could've been 630 @ 360*, smother and more responsive. Would've been nice if they'd ditched the forward controls or offered a classic peg arraignment w/pegs under your hips. I am soo weary of my feet stuck out in front.

All in all I'd buy this before the furry. Belt drive w/6 speed sounds good. Closer to what I'm looking for in a scoot, but ya can't hold a candle to the VTX left-over stock price...

The upswept pipes don't leave enough room, for me, for bags. Has a dorky headlight shroud that's definitely too small to be called a fairing, much like the Suzy 109. What, you go prone on the tank while your feet cut the wind?

They're allotting half of production to the US and are stumping for pre-orders/deposits o' reservation. I'm reading where some dealers are having problems moving the big triple. I'm still looking for a couple of road tests complete w/accurate spec sheets.

Gimmie some numbers I can crunch n compare...

Maximum Power In excess of 80 bhp

Maximum Torque In excess of 100 lb-ft

Dry Weight TBC

My deposit: In excess of one American dollar.

Check in the mail: TBA

I think it's kinda cheesy to want deposits when they can't come up w/solid numbers and a couple of real road tests complimented w/complete spec sheet...

Yeah I know, new meat & first post. I like a lot of what I see, but I'd like to see them trim the fat, dump the 200 for a 170-180, suck up the rake to 28.5-30* and along w/my previous comments bring the weight down close to 600lbs.
We can always dream. A set of high dollar rims would help w/weight. I'd like to see a little more sport in the power cruiser lines of all manufacturers...
Might be your first post, but you describe a nice bike!
I'd go for that - and so would many others - a big mile munching bonneville!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts