Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok wise ones, need some thoughts here. If the Birds is completely cold, when I start it I get a loud rattle on the right side (as you sit on it) of the engine. The bike starts ok, but the rattle is there for about a minute, gradually growing quieter. If the bike is warm the noise is not present. It seems to run ok otherwise. Any thoughts on what it might be?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
How long has it been doing this?
How many miles on the bike?
What oil and oil filter are you using?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It started about a week ago. The bike has about 4700 miles. The dealer uses Amsoil and I am guessing the stock filter.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
At the risk of sounding facetious - if the bike starts fine and sounds fine after 60 seconds and then runs fine - I'd take into consideration that it's winter and perhaps 60 seconds is a reasonable time for it to warm up? :unsure

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
It started about a week ago. The bike has about 4700 miles. The dealer uses Amsoil and I am guessing the stock filter.
I would recommend you change the oil and filter and refill with the Castrol Power 10w50 and be sure you use a Triumph factory filter and see if it still repeats. If the filter your dealer used has a faulty (or no) anti-drain back valve then the oil drains back into the system out of the filter when you shut it off and when you start it the oil pump has to refill the filter which drops the oil pressure for a few seconds and starves the top end until the filter fills and you get correct pressure. OR the dealer used 20w50 oil and it is thicker at cold start and takes a few seconds to get to the top end and starves the top end as well.

A simple oil change is an easy way to test this. If you can't find the castrol oil then use Mobil1 4T 10w40 or the Castrol Power 10w40. Either should be available at Advance Auto or Autozone.

If this doesn't solve your problem then I would test the oil pressure from the oil pump at cold start with a mechanical oil pressure guage and go from there.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Before you dump out expensive oil and potentially the correct filter, call your dealer tell them what is happening and ask them to check and see what filter they used. The oil is not going to be the issue here. It is very unlikely they used a filter without anti-drainback, 99% of the filters that will fit that bike have the valve in them. If nothing else take the bike to the dealer leave it overnight and let their tech start it stone cold so they can hear it for themselves. If they think there is a problem they'll address it I'm sure. You also get it on the record that they made a determination as to whether or not there is a problem for down the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I will doublecheck with the dealer. Bike is still under warranty so if there is an issue I should be ok. It has gotten colder here and the bike has had sat for a few days prior to starting it. Will let you all know what I find out.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I will doublecheck with the dealer. Bike is still under warranty so if there is an issue I should be ok. It has gotten colder here and the bike has had sat for a few days prior to starting it. Will let you all know what I find out.
Any news on the cause?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
That's the first thing that I would think of doing as well - changing the filter and the oil. If the filter is defective or the oil reached its shear point and has broken down a bit who knows what sounds that would cause. The initial oil in the bike is non-synthetic and once you hit your first oil change interval they put in the synthetic stuff. My bike sounded a lot smoother on startup once the synth oil was in after 6000km.

·
Registered
59 Posts
RE: Loud rattling noise

My T-bird has been doing that since 2000 miles. The dealer has checked the valve adj., compressiom release springs, even went into the lower end and checked rod and crank bearing clearances NOTHING! So I was told to just ride it. I have 9200 miles on it and it runs great with no problems. I did find Rotella T keeps the noise down the best. The Harleys can't hear it from waaaaaay back there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok wise ones, need some thoughts here. If the Birds is completely cold, when I start it I get a loud rattle on the right side (as you sit on it) of the engine. The bike starts ok, but the rattle is there for about a minute, gradually growing quieter. If the bike is warm the noise is not present. It seems to run ok otherwise. Any thoughts on what it might be?
if its one side only you might have a sticky decompressor. put a long handle screwdriver against the exhaust end of your cam cover and the other end against your ear and check if thats the source of the rattle. mine rattles for a few seconds but its a general noise like loud tappets, this is ok.
could be a cold chain tensioner, check out where the noise is coming from more accurately by uising the driver to pin point the source
as its a new sound just because it runs ok when hot doesnt mean its ok, i read of a lad who ran his with a broken decompressor and only found out on the big service, the end of the cam had snapped.
if this is a new sound its worth getting it noted with the dealer just incase you need it fixed under warrenty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts