Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With almost a guarantee - when I pull up on a gas station after riding my 2010 Street Triple R for 20+ miles it won't restart after filling up. I always turn the bike off with the key btw. On trying to restart the alternator will maybe rotate once, but often I only hear a click, or like y'day nothing at all. The lights are working fine, the battery is still new (a few months old) and even was on the charger a few days ago. I waited maybe 20 min then tried again - got half a crank out of it, then not even a click anymore.

A couple hours later I returned - still no luck. Just another half crank. Checked the battery's terminals and the screws were tight (one time, right after a service I had the same issue and they had not tightened the screws properly which was the cause then). Next I just unscrewed the battery terminals (the screws were really tight on), screwed them back on, and voila - the bike started right away! How can one explain that - why does it only do that after filling gas - some weird chemical reaction on the terminals? When I fill gas shortly after leaving the house, so when the bike is still cold, I've never had this issue btw. On the last service I had the battery / alternator / charging circuit checked and no problems were found. Something related to bike being hot / battery terminals?

Usually I find someone to help me jump start it as I still don't carry a set of tools with me (well, today I finally put a set in). Then when I get home and turn it off, it can typically be turned back on w/o any issue. Same the next morning. Just does not like gas stations I guess...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I also own a 2010 STR. Sometimes just moving a wire can cause a bad connection to temporarily re-connect. I would suggest using a fine sandpaper on the battery terminals and wire connectors. Also check the wires on the starter solenoid under the seat for corrosion/tightness. If you can find the main ground from the battery to the frame check that also. I've been using a Shorai 18Ah lithium battery and Shorai dedicated charger for the past 5 years with no starting issues.

-Btw keep an eye on the ignition harness from the ignition switch through the frame insert for cracking/fraying. A broken wire going to the starter circuit relay caused me a great deal of frustration until I soldered in a new wire from the ignition switch to the connector beside the airbox. The main symptom of this problem is only having the brake lights, horn, and signals when you turn on the ignition key, and nothing else.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had the same problem. I replaced the battery and it hasn't happened since. I commute on my bike so I started tossing a multimeter and a lithium jump pack in my bag just in case. When it happened again, I measured the battery at being under 12v. Fires right up with the jump pack, so I replaced the battery even though it seemed to start things okay most of the time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In the interest of ruling out the simplest issue first I would agree with beatle to test out your battery. If you have a volt meter, take a reading after the bike has been sitting cold and at least a few hours after being on a charger. You should have a voltage approaching 12.7 to 12.8 V. If not it is either discharged or defective. Next would be to test battery voltage with the bike running to see if you are getting any charging current. Others probably have looked at this more recently but I would guess that you should see battery voltage into the 13.? Volts. Note that the battery resting voltage could appear normal and it still may not be capable of producing starting current. Best way to ultimately test the battery that is to take it into a local auto store and have it load tested. If the battery proves to be ok then move onto more complex causes. If you happen to have a defective battery, you saved yourself a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know the OP said the battery was only a few months old, but my battery was also pretty young and was apparently bad.

You may also want to check the stator. There are some other tests for that to see that it is working properly. If it is not charging properly, any battery will have a short life.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Maybe the startermotor is sticking? I'd measure what voltage the battery drops to when pushing the startbutton. If it drops a lot then maybe the startermotor is locked up, or maybe there is a resistance in the wire from the solenoid to the startermotor.

I'd also check if the ground wire is connected properly and not corroded or kinked.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe it wants to stop for a pie?
?
Here BP stations have wild bean cafes. The pepper steak pies are actually a top class act.

I mean. It makes sence. . .

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi there,
It seems that you've tried a few thins. I have one more thing for you.

lift the gas thank open. once there, follow the cable that come from the ignition switch.
That set of wire will get you to a Plug (connector). clean that plug and make sure that all the wires going into the plug are doing a good connection. and that male and female set of the connector are also doing a tight connection. do the same thing to the plug that comes in from the starter button.

My ignition switch was going bad... But it wasn't the switch. it was an orange wire going into the connector. it was bend and the female side of the plug was a little to open therefore the connection wasn't really solid, and every time i would move the steering bar the wires would move, making the connectors separate more and more...

hope it helps.

safe rides!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts