Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My bike is getting on a bit, and the PVC tubing that covers the loom from the ignition switch is cracking in numerous places.
Has anyone had to replace the tubing? or event tips/pointers if they have disassembled the ignition barrel?
I don't want to re-key anything, I would like to replace the PVC tubing only. Hoping to be able to pop the pins out of any plugs, and cut/replace existing cable ties.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Never replaced the tubing as you described. I would get some GOOD quality electrical tape and carefully wrap it around the wires after removing the tubing. There was/are quite a few factory wiring harnesses done that way.

·
Vendor
140 Posts
Try to find self-bonding silicone tape; when you activate it by stretching the tape, it sticks to itself without the need for any adhesive.

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
Try to find self-bonding silicone tape; when you activate it by stretching the tape, it sticks to itself without the need for any adhesive.
BOOM! This. Over here one brand of it is called "Rescue Tape." We used to go through rolls of it at work when installing sensors on towers.

I prefer it over electrical tape. It won't harden as fast and there is no messy adhesive, if you need to remove it. It's sort of like a roll of heat shrink tubing, except no heat is required and you don't need a free end to apply it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas. Over her in Aus, it's generally known as self amalgamating tape. I have found some retailers who sell PVC tube as well. Might have to take the dive and work out if I can safely remove the base of the ignition switch.

1st image shows the same kind of cracking which has happened to the sleeve over the ignition cable on my bike.
2nd image seems to indicate that if I remove the plug for the non-switch end, then the two screws (no cable ties in this image, but there are some on my bike) at the base of the switch end, i should be able to slip a new sleeve over the length of the cable and it will be good for the next 10 years!

Just got to set aside some time to run fuel down a bit on the bike, then spend a couple of hours removing the air box and that damn in fill panel it goes through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts