Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That looks like it. So, it's not the ABS but the front fender screws. Thanks - it's a bit disconcerting as I have 11,000 miles on my bike and it sounds like the screws, over time, work themselves out and then puncture or otherwise deflate the front tire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure they work themselves out more than any other screw at any location might. I think the real issue is that it's impossible to check that the screws are tight without removing the wheel. Since I first heard of this happening almost a year ago, I regularly check those screws... but can only do it visually without removing the wheel. Seems like a crazy design.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
This is an issue i brought up at the "other place" well over a year ago when i first had to take my fender off. And coincidentally i just ordered new screws a couple weeks ago and got them yesterday, which was the day i first heard of this recall ! Anyways, i am not sure what the fix is but i think all it is is the screws now have thread locker on them. The new screws i got had red thread locker. Now the reason i got the screws in the first place is the sockets for the star bit were slightly stripped because the hole is not deep enough to really easily get a good bite if you intend to tighten them a lot. And the reason i wanted them very tight is because this design is dangerous. If a screw comes out it will contact the tire and like a lathe it will rip thru the sidewall and if you don't catch it in time it could be disastrous. There was a guy at the other forum who this happened to exactly as i had envisioned and he caught it in time, but it did start to eat away at the tire .

So when i got the new screws yesterday and saw this recall for the first time, i asked the dealer whether the new screws i picked up were the "new" ones they are using for the recall. Looking at the part number he said they were. So i tried to determine whether they were any different but they appear the same except the thread locker they had applied. I was hoping the bit hole was deeper or the heads would be a bolt head instead of a star so that you could tighten them w/o removing the wheel. And thats where the problem lies....it's not only a bad design to have the screws go in from the inside of the fork, but the fact that it requires a star bit means theres no way to check them for tightness without removing the wheel. So unless you want to remove the wheel every so often to check them you have to trust god to keep them tight till you need a new front tire so you can check them !

All that said i guess the best you can do is use thread locker and they should be ok. The problem with that tho is those [email protected] screws worry me when it comes to removing them with thread locker. In order to insure they stay you have to really tighten them good and/or use thread locker. And then because the bit hole tends to be sorta shallow i fear it will strip the hole trying to remove them if they are very tight. Hopefully not. Hopefully if you are careful when tightening or removing them they will be ok. Just try and make sure the bit is seated as well as possible and that you don't angle it at all when pulling on the ratchet.

I just wish they would have used a regular bolt head so they could be checked using a open end wrench with the wheel on. I tried to get some screws like that when i first discovered this issue but I found it was not easy to find the exact length in a hard bolt. If they are not EXACTLY the correct lengths they won't work right because of the way they mount and while it's hard to explain exactly why, they absolutely must be the exact same length and they must be as hard or the heads will easily break off if you try and tighten them enough. Ask me how i know !

Anyways, thread locker is the way to go. I would suggest everyone visually check them often and the first time you remove the wheel to change the tire or whatever, carefully and with the correct bit remove them and reinstall them with thread locker and tighten as much as you can w/o damaging the heads. Why the recall affects only certain vin numbers is beyond me because i see no difference other than the thread locker. Not sure why they wouldn't have put it on all bike, especially since it appears not to affect the first run of bikes. Why would they use thread locker at first then stop for a while then start again? Odd. Anyways, be aware of this issue, it could be very disasterous !

·
Registered
684 Posts
According to the NHTSA link about this effects bikes manufactured between September 2009, and August 2010. My bike was made in December 2009. I just had it in for service, and the service writer told me there are no outstanding campaigns on my bike. I had him check because I wanted to know if I need the replacement seat bracket that was mentioned in another thread. Now I'm starting to doubt that he had accurate information.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
No, if you read the articles theres something that mentions that triumph has not yet released this recall info to the dealers/public. Keep checking back at the recall page on the website and you should eventually see it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Dazco I missed that. I think I'll stop off at my dealer this week and give them the info. That way they can be proactive, and call me as soon as they are able to take care of this under warranty. Until then I'll keep an eye on it myself.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
You know, i was just thinking about this and it hit me....you could square off the sides of the screw heads till they fit a open end wrench. That way you could tighten/check them w/o removing the wheel. A dremel with a cut-off wheel should make it easy. Only thing is, if you have to take too much off it may weaken the heads. But i may try this with my old ones next time the wheel is off.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think if you have removed the screws and installed them with locktite and to the proper torque then you should be OK. I assume there was some assembly issue that causes Hyper Vista's bolt to loosen, i.e., they didn't have locktite, or weren't tightened, or...

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
True, but it's just one of those things that no matter how good you tighten them, knowing the potential if they did come loose it's worrisome. Enough locktite and i think then you can be pretty sure you're safe, but then will you be able to remove them when needed w/o stripping the heads. It's all about what happens if they do loosen, not how likely or unlikely it is. peace of mind basically. Stupid design IMO. I think the whole reason they didn't have the screws come from the outside is to give it a clean custom look to compete with harely's pristine build quality. I'll take a slightly less clean look anyday when it comes down to safety vs not.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
It's hard to explain but you'll see if you ever take the fender off, but they can't be a different length. They won't work unless they are the exact same length. And I just put a new front tire on only about 2 weeks ago so I won't be able to install the new ones and compare till i need a new tire. But i really think the only difference is the locktite that the new ones come with. I'll be adding a bit of blue too when i install them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A good way to keep an eye on your fender bolts is to put a very small dab of white (or any other color) paint on the side of the bolt head. Take a look once in a while and if that paint is still in the same place, then you know the bolt hasn't loosened any. Obviously, if the painted dab is in a different location then your bolt has begun to loosen. Then I think I'd get the wheel off and the bolts tightened.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
A good way to keep an eye on your fender bolts is to put a very small dab of white (or any other color) paint on the side of the bolt head. Take a look once in a while and if that paint is still in the same place, then you know the bolt hasn't loosened any. Obviously, if the painted dab is in a different location then your bolt has begun to loosen. Then I think I'd get the wheel off and the bolts tightened.
Not a bad idea. I may, tho i think once i put the new ones in which have red thread locker on them AND add some blue, my only worry is going to be getting them out ! But thats what i'm going to do next tire change.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Called the dealership in Brea, CA today since the Triumph website says my T-Bird is on the recall list. They said the, "recall was new and they don't have the parts yet...call back in a week or so". Great...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts