Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

One definition of an icon is something that is an important, enduring symbol. In the motorcycle universe, few machines fit that definition as well – but not necessarily better – than the Triumph Bonneville. Another definition of an icon is a person who is "the object of great attention and devotion." Indeed, many fans of Triumph love their Bonnies so much as to personify the machine, pay homage to it and worship at the alter of the British Twin.

The Bonneville struck a chord with riders when it was introduced in 1959 as the T120 – essentially a twin-carb version of the T110 Tiger – and it remained a constant in the line-up until Triumph's closure in 1983. In 2000, just 10 years after the Brit marquee was resurrected by John Bloor, the irrepressible Twin rose from the ashes, and today celebrates 50 years as Triumph model.

The original Bonnie received pivotal updates and enhancements in 1969; key among them was improved carburetion. Like its 1969 ancestor, the 2009 Bonneville has received a major update where petrol mixes with air. Instead of improved carbs, EFI is the name of the game. Fuel-injection is now standard across the entire line of what Triumph calls the Modern Classics: all three versions of the Bonneville, as well as the Thruxton and Scrambler.

More: 2009 Triumph Bonneville Review on Motorcycle.com

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
The 17" cast wheels are going to make a lot of folks happy in terms of tire selections, handling, and maintenance. This is going to make it a better entry bike for new riders, IMHO. Reverse cones are nice also. I also like that Triumph finally got a clue and took the kink out of the exhaust! Look very clean.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the link to the Bonny review DiscoStew. All the reviews I have read rate the bike highly. Shes a real winner! My SE (pacific blue and fusion white) is due into the dealers this week. Due to phone tomorrow for delivery date. Like a kid at christmas! Great to read another top review. I knew within a mile of test riding the basic bonny that this was the bike for me. She is light, nimble, easy to ride, torquey, fun and very cool.My 6 foot 4, lifetime bike nut, partner ,Ben highly rated the bike too- although he was disappointed that the bike did feel too small for his tall frame. However his beautiful 1971 triumph tr6 is perfect for him and too high for me. Horses for courses. Cant wait to ride out together on the two Triumphs. Will post shots of both bikes A.S.A.P. :)Happy days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi all sorry to disapoint ,yes the new bonnie looks cool but after test ride it is to small ,looks like a cb250t ,yes ok for new riders ,and they have removed the exhaust note ,another guy kept on pushing the starter button unaware that the engine was already running ,i will be sticking with my t100 efi

·
Registered
740 Posts
I sat on one at the dealer on Saturday, and I was surprised at how low it is. My '05 is not a particularly high bike - it's a little more cramped than I'd like, but it's perfectly comfortable - but the '09s feel very low, which IMO is a bad thing. There are so many bikes for short people already! Also, the new 3/4" handlebar felt small to my hands and doesn't look as distinctive. The tank is more like a cruiser tank IMO, and besides the current four idiot lights, it has a new fuel light and check engine light at the bottom of the speedo.

Fit and finish however were way up - very nice looking and well put together. Not for the taller rider though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Puzzled

I don't want to seem overly picky or negative about what seems to be an informative article but I'm a bit puzzled about one thing in the write up - the author quotes horsepower readings at 7500rpm but the Tachometer is red lined at 7000 according to the photos accompanying the feature. :(

Are Trump quoting what you can't (or shouldn't try to) get or did the reviewer just get it wrong? If he can get something as basic as that wrong when he's supposed to have ridden it & seen the tachometer how sloppy might the rest of the review be......:confused:

However the photography was spot on & did the machines justice, in my opinion they all look the part!

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
hi all sorry to disapoint , they have removed the exhaust note ,another guy kept on pushing the starter button unaware that the engine was already running ,i will be sticking with my t100 efi
Umm... sounds more like you have added that exhaust note with those aftermarket coneys.... :D Sound is easily remedied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2009 bonnie review

had a good look at a couple over the weekend loved the alloy wheels didn't like the front brake mastercylinder loved the streight exhaust pipes and other little changes ,but the thing that I dont like most is the overall effect of the 17'' front wheel that myself and friends agree that it gives it a supper moto look which does not go with the rest of the bike. every one to there own taste:) I hear you cant fit the main stand whith the new pipes , triumph are making a new one to fit:)

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Other than 17", look and wheels are pretty consistent with the T140D:

But that is why the other bikes with spokes are still offered also... folks that want an older look can still have one!

Glad it is going to solve 2 problems plaging Triumph - good seat height for the vertically challenged, and cast wheels for those that want them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guys, no bike is designed to appeal to all riders, thats why there are so many different bikes in existence. You get what u see. Maybe the bike is too small for you, but it isnt too small for a lot of riders - lets wait and see how many they sell. The new bonny appeals to experienced riders- I am one and cant wait to collect my SE. I agree the bike is too quiet ,answer- aftermarket pipes (Im sure they will be available soon). Each to their own.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You get what u see. Maybe the bike is too small for you, but it isnt too small for a lot of riders - lets wait and see how many they sell.
You're right of course, that the vast majority of riders appear to want a low seat height, and that's fine. The problem is that EVERY MANUFACTURER caters to those; those of us with longer legs have very few choices. The Bonneville was never a "tall" bike, but with an unladen seat height at 30-31" it was drastically better than the 25-29" range of pretty much every cruiser, most standards and most sportbikes. Sure, it makes it possible for people with 28" legs to ride the thing, but it also adds another bike to the literally hundreds that fit them and removes one from the dozens (and if you remove dual-sports and adventure-touring bikes, the handful) that fit us.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Gotta disagree with you there, Lind. There are very few bikes out there for short riders, unless you like cruisers. Even then, a lot of those are low, but with controls that are practically out of reach. There simply aren't that many sporty bikes out there for short riders, but you can always extend the pegs on bikes to make them more comfortable to you folks with long legs.

I'd like a dual sport, but am too short to ride the majority of them, and be comfortable putting a foot down in a dip....

·
Registered
243 Posts
The lower height comes from the smaller front wheel, and the new contour on the seat. At 5" 10", I was flat footed on the '09, which never happens with my '08.
I agree with the other poster about smaller handlebars, and the master cylinder, but when you're in love with what you have, anything different doesn't seem quite right. I like my spoked wheels, but I chose the T100 for the retro look. Same with the seat.
Still a nice bike, and the dealer says the EFI gives about 8 more hp. My Arrow 2-into1 gives me about 5 more hp.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I picked up a 2008 Bonnie back in July which has EFI but still the 19" wire spoke wheels. Being 195cm (6'4") it suits me just fine. Just my view but I think the alloy wheels detract a bit from the retro look. Although being able to take advantage of tubeless tyres would have been nice.
Agree totally about the de-noting of the exhaust. I felt like I was riding a small Honda twin on occasions but a pair of TORs fixed that. I think it is just a shame that basic things such as tacho and centre stand were made optional extras. I had the shop put a dual instrument pack on mine when I bought it.
Oh well, I guess I could have always bought the T100 if I wanted the extra fruit but I fell in love with the all black basic model. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts