Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys . . . I was THIS close to pulling the trigger on a Sprint ST when I realized that it just doesn't tug at my soul. The Thrux, on the other had, has always tugged at my soul - yet I considered it too uncomfortable for me. That is, until they mounted the bar on the 2009 model. How much better is it on the wrists than the old clip ons? Does anyone know how much higher the grips are with the bars as opposed to the clip ons? Lastly, with a 32" inseam, how is the peg to seat distance? Yes I know a test ride would be best, but I can't arrange for one for a bit of time. Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have mine for over a month now. At first because of the sitting position I thought it will be hard on my wrist but I was wrong. I must add since I'm still in break in time I haven't rode her more than 3-4 hours but during that time I had zero comfort problem.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi guys . . . I was THIS close to pulling the trigger on a Sprint ST when I realized that it just doesn't tug at my soul. The Thrux, on the other had, has always tugged at my soul - yet I considered it too uncomfortable for me. That is, until they mounted the bar on the 2009 model. How much better is it on the wrists than the old clip ons? Does anyone know how much higher the grips are with the bars as opposed to the clip ons? Lastly, with a 32" inseam, how is the peg to seat distance? Yes I know a test ride would be best, but I can't arrange for one for a bit of time. Thanks!
I have a 32" inseam, as well. It's not a problem at all. I've never even actually thought about it. I'm flat-footing at stops.

Of course it probably helps that I weight 400 pounds... just kidding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't ridden the previous years Thruxton, but my 09 isn't too bad. My expectations were that it would be a bit uncomfortable, and it is. I don't plan on touring on it, and had I, I'd have bought something else. But for whipping around the city it's fine. The bars are higher than the previous years, but you are forced to put your upper body weight on your wrists and that takes some getting used to. I found my palms get sore, but it's getting better the more time I spend riding. No problems with my back or anything else.

Seat height is fine. 32" inseam here as well and both feet plant no problem.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I haven't ridden the previous years Thruxton, but my 09 isn't too bad. My expectations were that it would be a bit uncomfortable, and it is. I don't plan on touring on it, and had I, I'd have bought something else. But for whipping around the city it's fine. The bars are higher than the previous years, but you are forced to put your upper body weight on your wrists and that takes some getting used to. I found my palms get sore, but it's getting better the more time I spend riding. No problems with my back or anything else.

Seat height is fine. 32" inseam here as well and both feet plant no problem.
Try holding more of your weight with your core. If you do it right, there will be very little weight on your wrists. It's still no touring bike, of course, but I regularly go for 200+ mile trips with little or no discomfort -- and I've got the clip-ons.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
i have a 2007 thruxton and cant complain about the clip-ons, except after a long day of 300 or more miles, then it just wears on your body as a whole.

i've sat on the 2009 with the different bars and just cant get used to it. it just feels way to akward to me, since you are in a more upright position, but your feet are still on the same rearsets that the bikes with the clip-ons have. it just doesn't have the same feel or "oneness" that the clip-ons have. plus, i just don't think they look right on the thruxton.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use my 09' as my daily driver and I have no complaints. As stated earlier if you use your core to hold your weight, then youre golden.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I am 6'1 and find my 04 Thruxton very comfortable. I also have a 01' BMW1200RS with the typical 'boomstick up ya bum' riding position so I am able to compare. My Thruxton has clips ons which I moved to the upper position above the triple tree (fairly popular conversion). Whilst I initially thought the Thruxton might be uncomfortable compared to my beemer, I now find my 1200RS too upright. I do agree with hun-3 that some upper body fitness will prevent you putting all your weight on your wrists

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well i can't say i've taken rides on the thruxton, but going to the store, i remember clearly sitting on the '08 and being disapointed with its comfort... the seat position in relation with the bar was to great, i felt stretched when sitting on the bike. Then i sat on the '09 and there was an immediate difference. The Bike felt way more comfortable and way more "instinctive" in a riding position.

Both bikes were stock (according to the seller)... i was really pleased with the '09 model.

that's all i can share on the subject.

Oh,
I'm 6' 220pounds, if that's any help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Risers

At 5'7" even with the new bars that replaced the clip-ons, the reach was a bit too much for me. 30mm risers from Jenk's Bolts placed them at the perfect position for me.

http://jenksbolts.motoevolution.co....id=97&osCsid=69592bb65f5b0c5e73e41d42cc61f6f9

I was able to use the stock cables, btw. just had to fiddle a little to made sure nothing was binding. Once painted black to match the stock handlebar mounts, these risers become virtually invisible.

Here's a pic of my instal: http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/Almuli/Bikes/ThruxtonFairingTrialRide3.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clip-ons

I realize this thread hasn't been active for a while, but do any of you have tank knee pads with the clip-on bars? If so, does it make a substantial difference in your ability to use your core to keep weight off your wrists? That is the only way I could see being able to have enough grip to use my legs and core to help. After riding all weekend, my wrists were thrashed and I'm trying to figure out whether to switch to M-bars or try tank pads first.

Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
I realize this thread hasn't been active for a while, but do any of you have tank knee pads with the clip-on bars? If so, does it make a substantial difference in your ability to use your core to keep weight off your wrists? That is the only way I could see being able to have enough grip to use my legs and core to help. After riding all weekend, my wrists were thrashed and I'm trying to figure out whether to switch to M-bars or try tank pads first.

Thanks
I have an 08 without knee pads and seem to be able to squeeze the tank enough with my knees to relieve the pressure on my wrists. I am planning on getting the knee pads at some point as I am sure it will improve the gripping ability. I have only had the bike for a month and even in the short time I have had it I feel that my body is adjusting to the riding position. When i first got it my palms were sore and my back and neck got sore pretty quickly. Now it don't notice it near as much with only putting about 300 miles on it. I do sometimes notice my hands getting a little numb, but then I squeeze the tank with my knees and it takes all that pressure off my hands/wrists. I can't believe I have only put 300 miles on it :(

I just ordered a tank bag and hope to start commuting to work on it at least a day or two a week very soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find that it's largely the downhill portion of more spirited rides that are most difficult. My knees just slide on the smooth tank which puts all of my weight on the handlebars. I tried to get the tank pads from my local dealer last week, but they were out of stock. I figure even if they don't help much, they look cool so I win either way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I find that it's largely the downhill portion of more spirited rides that are most difficult. My knees just slide on the smooth tank which puts all of my weight on the handlebars. I tried to get the tank pads from my local dealer last week, but they were out of stock. I figure even if they don't help much, they look cool so I win either way.
Tank pads will surely help, but only to a degree. My Thrux came with the bars (not clip ons) and I still felt I needed to be a little more upright. One inch risers from Jenk's Bolts did the trick for me and now I can ride for a couple of hours without discomfort.

·
Registered
102 Posts
'09 Thruxtons are for sissies. Man up and go for the clip-ons :p

Seriously though, coming from an '04 Thruxton, the '09 with regular bars just feels weird to me - it's not upright enough to be "comfortable" or down enough to be "sporty". I came from a Sprint ST, so I think the clip-ons feel very comfortable. I do commute on this bike, and I like the aggresive position.

Your mileage may vary...

Stormin!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try the pads and then see how it goes after that. I'm glad to know that the '09 bars aren't necessarily a cure-all before I spend way too much replacing my clip-ons.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try the pads and then see how it goes after that. I'm glad to know that the '09 bars aren't necessarily a cure-all before I spend way too much replacing my clip-ons.
The beauty of the '09/any top tree w/risers setup is that it allows you to switch out bars quite easily and relatively cheaply until you get the riding position you need. You get all sort of opinions from thruxton riders on this subject, but the only person you need to satisfy is yourself.

Personally, I ditched the clipons on my '04 for some speed triple bars. Best change to the machine I've made to date. At 5'7" tall w/ relatively sort torso & arms, the reach was impossible for me given I use my machine as an all-arounder. Did a 700+ mile day on her last Sunday, capping off a 1,690 mile 4-day trip...

...now that stock seat is something complain about!

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The beauty of the '09/any top tree w/risers setup is that it allows you to switch out bars quite easily and relatively cheaply until you get the riding position you need. You get all sort of opinions from thruxton riders on this subject, but the only person you need to satisfy is yourself.

Personally, I ditched the clipons on my '04 for some speed triple bars. Best change to the machine I've made to date. At 5'7" tall w/ relatively sort torso & arms, the reach was impossible for me given I use my machine as an all-arounder. Did a 700+ mile day on her last Sunday, capping off a 1,690 mile 4-day trip...

...now that stock seat is something complain about!

Cheers,

--Rich

That sounds interesting - do you have a pic or two you could post of the Thrux with Speed triple bars - not sure what they look like. Thanks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts