Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reading through posts on this, I see this is a fairly common problem. The speedo cable bracket breaks and then eventually something goes wrong with the cable.

I remember when I bought the bike in 2009 and saw the hole in the front fender and wondered what it was for. It shipped missing the speedo cable bracket from the bike and I'm assuming it broke during shipping or at the dealer. Fast forward to last week and I noticed I wasn't getting a reading on the speedometer. The speedo cable was hanging there - disconnected at the wheel/hub end. It also looks like whatever was supposed to be holding that end in place is missing.

Looks like an easy fix - if I can find the part (if I need the part?). Schematics seem to be hard to find without a complete purchase of a manual. I see some people are replacing the bracket with a p clip. I don't know if I'll do that - not sure how good it would look, but paying $60 at Fast Eddie's seems a bit much for what it is.

I'm including some pics and any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Drew

Attachments

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Looks like the spline has escaped the cable sheath and may be dancing with the retaining screw somewhere. Looks like the screw is a separate part # from the cable on the bandit.
I looked at the aftermarket speedometer cable guide and considered the P clip also when my original finally gave out. Then spent $10 supporting my local dealer for a replacement as the first one lasted 5 years outdoors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MattyMo. It looks that way and I hope they're having a great time! I have no idea how the hell the screw worked its way out though - or the spline for that matter. Looks like I may need to go to the dealer to get the replacement parts - seem to be having a hard time finding them online.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again MattyMo. My searching skills must be lacking these days because I went to that site (as well as a couple others) as well as the forums. I was focusing on places in Canada because I'm in Toronto right now and won't be back in Ohio for a while.

So my apologies for the need to post it again - but thanks for helping me out! I really appreciate it.

Drew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know this isn't a computer driven speedo, but can you confirm there's no calibration or anything required to install the new cable or is it just straightforward insert and tighten? It doesn't look like it based on your reply on the other thread:

"Installing the cable is mostly the reverse of removal. But, DO NOT tighten the screw holding the cable's plastic base assembly in the hub with any force. It should just be snug. Didn't find it in the Haynes but the Triumph shop manual lists only 2Nm of torque on that screw"

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Wasn't trying to spook anybody. Just cautioning that the plastic base end at the hub, held in place by the retaining screw, is rather soft plastic. The manual stated the very low value of 2 Nm of force to tighten the screw. Tightening that screw anything more than barely snug can result in the hole spreading, the screw sinking further in and in my case, splitting the plastic.
To be fair, I was not replacing the speedo cable. Had the front end apart for fork maintenance and was just putting things back together. It is the original cable. Has been taken off a couple of times for tire & fork shroud/gaiter changes. I used some plastic cement and a zip ty for a quick repair that I admit is still in place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not spooked at all and the torque was a great thing to mention. If otherwise it's as easy as it sounds/looks, I'll do it myself.
Thanks again MattyMo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since the replacement cable is new, is it safe to assume it came lubed? It looks like I might need to add some white lithium grease at the hub end though?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Yes, the cable should be ready to install out of the package.
A dab of grease at the hub may not be necessary. But as it was exposed to the elements for an unknown time it would not be a bad idea. If you can, maybe lift the front wheel off the ground and spin the wheel. Add some grease at the hub and then install the new cable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts