Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know people will hate but I can deal with it. I noticed over the last few weeks some comments on luggage and touring on speedies... Well here I present what I have come up with.

2009 speedie, with the swmotech luggage rack.. I have a givi trunk which isn't big enough for all my stuff for a weekend away and I hate tank bags although I do have a bags connection engage sport. Biggest problem for me is finding a place for shoes. My wife and I plan on a few long weekend road trips this summer ( not 2 up she has her own bike) and I will be carrying the clothes for the 2 of us. I wanted some luggage that could be considered somewhat secure and lockable, which leaves soft saddlebags out, did a bunch of searching on this site, adventure rider and the other speedie site that shall not be named and decided that I would do the pelican 1430 route.

Problem is up here in Canada I can't find any pelican 1430's for a reasonable price... and ordering on ebay is fine but delivery is cost prohibitive... a little googling and I found Plano 1612 boxes that were somewhat similar to 1430's at least in size if not quality. Picked up 2 boxes for 50 bucks at a marine store, unfortunately/fortunately I found them in the orange. I may paint them or replace with 1430's in the future but in the meantime they will stay orange, I also have a pelican 1400 on order that I will use for a top case ( don't have it yet so no pics of it). Racks are pretty strait forward and you can see what was done in the pics, the bags end up being 39" total width. I still need to paint the racks and possible brace them to the passenger pegs, as it stands now they are only bolted to the rack and seem verry verry verry sturdy.

Hope this gives people some ideas... also the giant wing nuts will go away and the replaced with some proper nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I dig it! Good job. The color doesn't actually stand out that bad. I would just leave it. On an engineering note, not having it braced is going to put a lot of wind induced torque/twist on that weld. Might not matter, but something to think about.

Can your hard top case fit in back with the Plano boxes mounted like that?

·
Registered
555 Posts
No hate at all. I like any and all luggage options for the Speed especially the home brews since there are no options commercially available that I like.
My only concern is I thought the MoTech top plate had strength issues. I understood some even had issues with the top plate and a simple Givvi. I hope I'm wrong, just don't want to see you get hit with anything unexpected. Keep
Up the good work. A top box, some black on that frame it'll be snazzed right up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I thought it was the subframes that were weak on the earlier S3's? I believe the 08+ had stronger ones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments, I hadn't actually thought about the wind load torque on the mounts, I thought about load balance, possible box swing but not the torque, I'll have a look at that. My givi would fit, I have to make some spacers so I can mount the mounting plate above the bracket for the saddle bags. That will be next.

As to the subframe... the sw-motech rack for the 2008 and up speedy's has the underseat mounts but it also has 2 legs that run down parallel to the subframe and attach to the footpeg brackets... you could probably pick up the back of the bike by the rack. Thanks for the warning though its appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
That is outstanding!
If I were traveling alone I would be able to pack camping gear and supplies for a month of on the road time. Excellent work.
If I were going with the better half I could still be out on the road for about 7-8 days.
I too agree that the colour does not conflict too badly . Unless it is not translating properly on "film"
Wire up some plug in brake and signal ight into those suckers and make you self even more viible in the night time . Hell mount some aux fog/driving lights to the boxes and really light up the road.

Norm

·
Registered
205 Posts
The mounting looks way too wide. I'm not sure why the need for that much clearance; especially since you won't be carrying a passenger. A low mount pipe would solve a lot of issues. Sticking that far out will reduce ground clearance in the twisties:

http://www.motorstek.nl/download/61786/212fc574e658f565d63fc5e04ad2b494

The orange doesn't stick out at all but it does make for significant contrast at the mounts. Bed liner is easy to apply and won't show boot scuff marks if you want to go black. I'm sure dieselgeek will agree! :D

Do a long test run with them fully loaded before your trips.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Kind of off topic, but pertinent to touring. One of the other problems that needs addressed if you are going to do any serious fireroad running or an Alaska run is a skidplate. I've already bashed on my oil drain bolt a couple times. Once hard enough that it leaked and left a puddle under the bike. Luckily level was still in the normal range after I tightened it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mounts are that wide to allow room for the stock mufflers should I choose to put them back, currently have a high mount 2bros. As it stands right now I have no plans or interest in a low mount exhaust the bags will only be on for longer trips and quickly removed for normal fun rides and commute duty.

I left the space for a passenger because I have a daughter that will want to come along on some rides; also my wife doesn't always like riding her own bike when we get to our destination and would rather passenger when looking for a place to eat or sightseeing etc.

I've seen pics of the ktm's and beemers etc dragging their bags in the twisties, but generally those bags are as wide as mine if not a little wider, but they are also taller and hang down lower than the bottom of my bags do. We'll see I may be proven wrong and I'm always willing to admint when I'm wrong and I do appreciate everyones comments.

I plan on riding to work all next week with some load in them to see how they hold up. If I end up painting them it will probably be Krylon Fusion figure that would allow for easy touch ups. I don't know if those bags will drag in the twisties they are pretty high up. I don't have a lot of twisties around here that are that tight or high speed. I think the only time those bags will touch the ground would be about the same time that my ass touches the ground.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You could always have someone help you and just lean the bike over and see what touches first. I believe you are correct though. They are mounted pretty high. I don't see them scraping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plan on going out for a day trip this weekend, I'll make sure my wife is behind me through any twistie bits and ask her to watch how close the bags get to the ground.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Again; nice job. Grab a sheet of plywood if u have one. Just slide it up to the tires, while they're straight, slowly raise it, see what touches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.