Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can take a look a the pics below and give my some insight as to wear I need to look to find the source of this leak. Is it something quick and easy to check/fix, or do I need to take it to the dealer (still under warranty). Haven't noticed anything on the ground, However, I do see a couple of spots on the arrow pipe where it's landed as well as obviously the oil filter. I noticed the leak doing an oil change, but had assumed it was the oil filter leaking, but now that it's got a new filter, it appears to be coming from this hole/vent in front of the filter. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
909 Posts
hmm...trying to figure out those pics in relation to the bike.
but is that the drain vent under the airbox ?
have you checked your airbox recently ? as to how much the crank breather hose is spitting in there....

or have you checked to make sure the crank breather hose is still attached to the crank ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm...trying to figure out those pics in relation to the bike.
but is that the drain vent under the airbox ?
have you checked your airbox recently ? as to how much the crank breather hose is spitting in there....

or have you checked to make sure the crank breather hose is still attached to the crank ?
I don't know how else to describe the location other than it's the hole nearest to the oil filter when viewed from under the bike. The yellow component in the pic is the filter. Is that where the crank breather vents?

·
Registered
359 Posts
How long have you had the bike, is that a weld repair above the filter and to the right.

Does anyone else have a black sump as mine is bare alloy.
And how old is that filter to be covered in crap like that ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long have you had the bike, is that a weld repair above the filter and to the right.

Does anyone else have a black sump as mine is bare alloy.
And how old is that filter to be covered in crap like that ?
Bike is brand new - purchased in Feb. Now has 4500 miles on it. Filter in the pic is brand new - couple hundred miles old. I made sure the o-ring came off with the old filter - I thought the same thing.

As I mentioned, I changed the oil about a week ago when I noticed the leak originally - I had figured the fuel filter gasket had failed.

Changed the oil, cleaned all surfaces that had been in contact with the oil and went on my merry way. Checked again yesterday afternoon and this is what I see. I'm fairly confident the oil is coming from the hole nearest to the oil filter - I just don't know what that hole is or where it goes to. I can't get the bike high enough up in the air to get under the bike and have a look to see if it's a bolt hole or some kind of vent.

Again - thanks for everyones help - keep the ideas coming! It'll probably go down to the dealer on Saturday if I can't get it resolved.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had some issues come up last Saturday morning and couldnt make it to the dealer. I'm planning on going down this Saturday. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
As the bike is virtually new and still within the warranty period I'd leave it to the dealer to identify and fix. Not sure how it is in the US, but here in South Africa if you do your own home servicing and not with a certified shop, there is a good chance that the importer will not honour the claim should there be something seriously wrong.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah - I'm planning on letting the dealer figure it out. I don't mind getting my hands dirty if it's something quick and easy if it saves me a trip to the dealer, however, this feels likes it's going to be a little more in depth - I'll let them handle it. Hopefully they'll have a loaner for me :-D

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Here in South Africa, the Triumph Motorcycle Service Handbook for my 2006 Triumph Tiger 955i specifically states on Page 3 under the heading:

Warranty Terms and Conditions

Conditions and Exclusions:

3. The machine must have been serviced by an authorized Triumph Dealer, at the intervals specified in the Triumph Owners Handbook and the service log completed accordingly.

To my mind this is a pretty fair requirement, particularly considering that Triumph's warranty is 2 years unlimited kms. In the old days of the old BSA-Triumph empire, it was but 3 months!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It says the same thing in manuals on the stateside bikes. However, as long as you're able to show that the bike has been maintained in accordance with the manual, you're good to go. The fact that the it has fresh oil and filter prior to the interval required shows that's it's been done in accordance w/ the recommendations in this case.

Also, in the states, laws require that the manufacturer be able to prove that the owners neglect or abuse resulted in the failure.

I'm not to worried about warrantability in this case as it's unfathomable that I had anything to do with the oil leak. It was leaking oil - I assumed it was the filter gasket, so I changed the oil and filter (at about 4500 miles). Leak is still there and appears to be coming from the vent located nearest to the oil filter.

From what I understand, Triumph is very good about taking care of their customers while the bike's are still under warranty, which is all I ask of any manufacturer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have you checked to see if all the hex bolts that hold the oil pan in place are tight? They will sometimes vibrate themselves loose enough to allow oil to weep. Apparently the way the wind moves down there spreads the oil everywhere and it's hard to tell where it is coming from.

Two different bolts have loosened themselves on separate occasions and a quick tightening fixed the problem. It's worth a check each one of those bolts all the way around.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Sump bolts

I'm having a similar issue with my 08 which I just figured out. I wasn't seeing any oil drips last year but, starting in late spring I would occassionally get the smell of burning oil. I looked underneath and didn't see anything so I naively dismissed it. This slowly got worse, from a rare single oil drop under the bike every day or two, to a regular drip or two every day (I always keep the oil level topped off as a precaution). It has gotten to the point where I now have a 2" area of burnt oil on the far right pipe. Last night I got under there with a torque wrench and tightened up the sump bolts that I could access. The ones on the right side and towards the front were very loose. Left side wasn't nearly as bad. Some were still to spec. I took it for a ~30 min. ride afterwards and didn't notice any of the oil smell. This morning I went out to the garage to get the bike out and, for the first time, saw a ~1" diameter "puddle" of oil under the bike. Close examination revealed that the front most sump bolt has dropped completely out and is resting between two of the pipes at the point where they curve under the engine. :mad:

Has anyone else removed the radiator and exhaust, which I'll have to do in order to tighten up all of the bolts? Any advice on whether I should go ahead an install a new sump gasket while I'm down there?

In any case, I'll be sure to use Lock-tite on the reinstall.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have you checked to see if all the hex bolts that hold the oil pan in place are tight? They will sometimes vibrate themselves loose enough to allow oil to weep. Apparently the way the wind moves down there spreads the oil everywhere and it's hard to tell where it is coming from.

Two different bolts have loosened themselves on separate occasions and a quick tightening fixed the problem. It's worth a check each one of those bolts all the way around.
+1

I had this issue on my '09. Since I couldn't get too all of them easily to make sure they are tightened, the dealer replaced the gasket and marked it as a warranty claim.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep - forgot to update this thread. That's the exact bolt that was causing my leak. It was still there, but had losened up.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Hoping for the best

I was inspired by others' reports of having the loosened bolts and leaky gasket, and the accompanying radiator and exhaust tinkering, covered by warranty. So, when I got home I dug up the paperwork from the PO and it turns out that he purchased the bike as a previous year's model. It's still got about 1 1/2 months left on the 2 year warranty, assuming that the dealer honors the purchase date, not model year. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I was inspired by others' reports of having the loosened bolts and leaky gasket, and the accompanying radiator and exhaust tinkering, covered by warranty. So, when I got home I dug up the paperwork from the PO and it turns out that he purchased the bike as a previous year's model. It's still got about 1 1/2 months left on the 2 year warranty, assuming that the dealer honors the purchase date, not model year. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.
A dealer told me the registration date controls the warranty period.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
It will always be the first registration date and NOT the Year of Manufacture. Some bikes sit on dealers floor or in distribution warehouses for many months (and even years!) before they are eventually sold.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm glad my experience was able to help you guys out!

One of my bolts that was loose was underneath the header/pipes.

Since I could not tighten it to spec with a torque wrench, I instead bought a set of metric open/close end wrenches to fit the bolt. With a little patience you can wiggle the wrench into the right position to hand tighten them about a quarter turn at a time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts