Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now after 40+ years of riding I know that most speedos are 5% off to the fast . My new SE seemed way to good in the curves that I usually ride and I know I did not get that good overnight. I set my garmin on the tankbag and at an indicated 70mph the garmin says 60mph. This was striaght line . Repeated many times -same result. If my calculations are right it appears that they forgot to adjust the speedo gears for the 17 inch wheel. 19 to 17 is about an 11% circumference diff plus the usual 5% error equals 16% . 10mph error at 60 mph equals a 16% error . What's up triumph. Anyone else with a new 17" wheel bonnie notice this ?

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Aha, good point, they are going to put a T100 clocks on my new SE as they haven't sent new ones from Triumph. My New bike, which I go to collect tomorrow was shipped back in from Europe as they did not have enough in the UK, so the speedo only had KLMs on it, which makes it illegal for an MOT in the UK.

Anyway, now that you have said this I will tell them to stop the new clocks as the T100 has the bigger wheels.

I can see a recall in the future coming up, can't you.

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Fast speedo, who cares?

You'll think that you're going faster than you really are, you'll get fewer speeding tickets, there isn't any downside. :p

One would think this would be addressed in the gearing in the individual bikes' hubs, but what do I know? I seriously doubt that the clocks themselves are going to be different internally.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
You'll think that you're going faster than you really are, you'll get fewer speeding tickets, there isn't any downside. :p
Good point. However the law states that a speedo is not allowed to underread, but it's allowed to overread by a maximum of 10%, so strictly speaking it's not legal.
A downside is that the odometer will also record a larger mileage.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've been wondering if I was the only SE owner with a speedo that was way off - it seems like 15% is about right. I don't use a GPS or nav. system (old school, seat o' the pants), but from day 1 it seemed way off. I confirmed it when I came across one of those automated "traffic control" radar units that show you your speed. Last week I went riding with my son; when we got back home my odo showed 141 mikes, his DR650 showed 135. The speedo drive is on the right side of the front wheel; on the T-100 & older bonnes it's on the left. Either way, it's not going to diminish my Bonne experience, but it would be nice to get within 5%.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wow, I hadn't thought about them using old speedos with the new smaller wheel before. I would defiantly not be happy about that especially since there will be more mileage on the odometer. 10 to 15% may not sound like much now, but, compound that by tens of thousands of miles and you've got a few unnecessary oil changes in there somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts