Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently Dyno Jet has released the PC for sale, as the installation instructions and several different maps are available on DynoJets web site. Here is a link for the installation instructions on an EFI Bonnie/Thrux:

http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/519/install/411/eng519-411.pdf

The PowerCommander made a big difference in the way my 2009 EFI bike runs, and allowed me to dump the AI system.

Dick

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Dick,

A few questions.

- What is the price of the PowerCommander unit?

- Can any Triumph dealer install and configure it?

- What is the power difference when installing a PC unit, removing the AI, and installing a new set of pipes like the Norman Hyde's?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dick - any warranty issues installing the PC? When I asked the service mgr. at my local dealer about performance tweaking for aftermarket exhaust using PC as opposed to just using the Triumph remap for TORs, he said it'd void the warranty. I think its a moot point for me as I don't believe PC offers a map for Scramblers, but I asked the service mgr. in the event they do by the time I buy a one.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I paid $349 for the Power Commander including installation. Because mine was one of two prototype PC's, no maps existed and a custom map was developed for my bike with Norman Hyde Togas, K&N filter, stock airbox/snorkel and AI removed. As I understand, Power Commander (DynoJet) has these maps available for free download on their website, as the PC has a USB port to allow simple map updates and changes from your computer. Currently there are about half a dozen maps available for Bonnevilles - and I assume the PC would work fine with a Scrambler - but a custom map would likely be required.

The PC installation is straightforward with the instructions and photos published on the PC website. If I had not required a custom map due to being an "early adopter" I would have installed it myself. I think the warranty issue is a moot point: the PC uses the same connectors as OEM Triumph, and is simply plugged inline with the exisiting module. It can be easily removed if there's an issue, and no "telltale" exists for the dealer to see. My dealer is very experienced at PC installation with Ducati and Victory bikes, so they are fine with the PC installation and will honor the warranty.

The bike is smoother, idles better, has a much, much more linear throttle response, and makes 8 HP more than stock. I do not know how much of the 8HP is attributable to the PC; the NH Togas, K&N and PC were installed together. It was well worth the investment, as the bike runs better than stock and much better than either of my 2007 dyno tuned (carbureted) T100's.

Dick

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks Dick, that's great info about the PC. Heck with tools like PC it sounds like EFI guys can tweak to their hearts content just like the carb boys if they so desire!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dick, that's great info about the PC. Heck with tools like PC it sounds like EFI guys can tweak to their hearts content just like the carb boys if they so desire!
Yep - no screwdriver required; you simply need a USB cable and can dial in the A/F ratio in 8 increments across the RPM range.

Dick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Power Commander installation

Yep - no screwdriver required; you simply need a USB cable and can dial in the A/F ratio in 8 increments across the RPM range.

Dick
Hi Dick,
After this time since you fitted your Power Commander, are you stilll happy with it?

I too have undertaken a similar exersize a year ago, but i have used the Mk v Power Commander, and have dumped the snorkel air intake in favour of the bell mouth air intake cover.

As i had the Power Comander supplied by Norman Hyde, it came ready mapped for the Bonnie with the aforementioned mods carried out ie; Toga exhaust cans, K&N Filter, Belmouth filter cover and AI Removed. The transformation was noticable immiediatly; Smoother running, no pops and farts on the overrun, better starting, and extra power.

I'm happy with mine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts