Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everybody,
As mentioned, picked up my new Bonnie with 5 miles on it from the previous owner on Saturday. That's right...the bike was unridden with a previous owner. It was about 12 F in Michigan when I trailered it to my house and fortunately wasn't snowing. The whole story is quite remarkable really and will share the abridged version. I am working out of state so was on a tight schedule to come into town and buy the bike and trailer it to my home in Michigan only to leave to travel again on business. The PO like the guys on this great site was a terrific guy whose plans changed. He put the bike on ebay and maybe you guys saw it but I was the guy who ended up buying it. I am not a believer in fate really but this is a strong argument in favor of it. I wanted an '09 Bonny Black and White and miraculously a new unridden one appeared on ebay about 30 miles from my house. After a succession of runs though ebay unsold including numerous emails we came to terms and suffice to say I got it for a very good price so am very pleased. It is likely the exact bike I would have ordered from the dealer although I do like the alloy wheel SE as well.
A good friend and I, trailering it to my house in very cold conditions and all worked out nicely. Thanks for all the great advice I received here as I heeded much of it. The first trailer I looked at was enclosed but had insufficient tie down capability. The second Uhaul trailer was open but had two feet of snow in it....not a good visual for going to pick up a new bike. Lots of shoveling, chipping, brooming...salting and wiping and the trailer finally was clean enough to use. The bike is now home in my garage under cover but much too cold to begin cursory mods which will take place in the next few weeks...first being remove reflectors...top decal on gas tank...bafflectomy etc. The motor sounded wonderful with fantastic throttle response...better then the carb version I tested this past fall. I personally think the bike needs chrome cam covers and let me know guys if you agree as for '09 Triumph went with black cam covers versus painted aluminum colored covers used on previous model years. If you have any suggestions where to purchase some quality chrome cam covers, please let me know if you would.
Hope you enjoy the pics...
Here's to spring...
George

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Gorgeous. Congratulations!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Good looking bike - like new, LOL. Had a b/w '07 myself, very classy paint scheme. Dump the AI and maybe you'll keep those shiny header pipes shiny.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
Very nice. You can get the chrome cam cover from Triumph.

I notice that you have the new-style rear wheel hub, gaiters, adjustable clutch lever. And fuel injection, right?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good looking bike - like new, LOL. Had a b/w '07 myself, very classy paint scheme. Dump the AI and maybe you'll keep those shiny header pipes shiny.
Thanks guys. David...maybe a good time to talk about some general mods. Does the '09 EFI bike have AI? By removing it does it affect the A/F Map? Any suggestion where to pick up an AI elimination kit?

Also, does anybody know if a bafflectomy is harder on the '09 peashooters aka should it be the same procedure as '06-'08 factory pipes?

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice. You can get the chrome cam cover from Triumph.

I notice that you have the new-style rear wheel hub, gaiters, adjustable clutch lever. And fuel injection, right?
I believe it has all you mention. I wanted the new style rear hub and EFI. Gaiters came stock on it and believe the clutch is adjustable as you mention at the lever. The other different thing is for '09 the speedo and tach bezel is black and the handlebar clamp is a bit less distinctive.
Balto...can original Triumph parts be purchased on line at a savings versus going through the dealer?
Thanks,
George

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Thanks guys. David...maybe a good time to talk about some general mods. Does the '09 EFI bike have AI? By removing it does it affect the A/F Map? Any suggestion where to pick up an AI elimination kit?

Also, does anybody know if a bafflectomy is harder on the '09 peashooters aka should it be the same procedure as '06-'08 factory pipes?

Thanks,
George
Yeah, it does because I see it in your photos - the metal tube with hose right next to your spark plug. Use search here for a cheap way to make the AI kit - it's what I did. Don't know the other stuff.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, it does because I see it in your photos - the metal tube with hose right next to your spark plug. Use search here for a cheap way to make the AI kit - it's what I did. Don't know the other stuff.
David...
The search I performed based upon your comment suggested to leave the AI intact for an EFI bike.
Here is a good explanation:
http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/95766-efi-ai-removal-2.html
I posted this for you other guys considering a new '09 bike.

The question remains...do the '09 stock peashooters have cats in them? If so...does it make sense to perform a bafflectomy on the '09 stock pipes?

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Congradulations.

I have the same bike, did the same thing. The B&W is so classic, you can't go wrong.... Agree with you - chrome valve covers would be nice. Still have to do my own.

Very best of luck and many happy years with her.

Sal

·
Registered
685 Posts
Handsome B/W T100, very similiar to my 07 T100, before I spent a wad of money changing out the exhaust, suspension, etc.

One silly, piddling thing that jumps out at me is the Triumph gold lettering at the back of the seat. I had to buy a special pen at a craft's store to achieve that. Then I put on a Thrux gel seat with a cowl, so it doesn't matter.

Congrats on a special effort to get this bike in nasty winter weather! :bighand:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congradulations.

I have the same bike, did the same thing. The B&W is so classic, you can't go wrong.... Agree with you - chrome valve covers would be nice. Still have to do my own.

Very best of luck and many happy years with her.

Sal
Thank you Sal. Appreciate the kind words. The B&W is indeed classic and so nicely fits the character of the bike down to the gold pin stripe.
Best,
George
P.S. I am sorry for the other day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cats

Not sure about the standard bikes, but from what I understand there are cats in the headers of the america and speedmaster. I believe someone on here either themselves or knew somewhat that removed the AI and it caused the cats to swell up with unburned fuel and the restriction in the pipe caused the bike to run like crap. Sad thing is that I remember this vaguely and may be imagining the entire thing.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Not sure about the standard bikes, but from what I understand there are cats in the headers of the america and speedmaster. I believe someone on here either themselves or knew somewhat that removed the AI and it caused the cats to swell up with unburned fuel and the restriction in the pipe caused the bike to run like crap. Sad thing is that I remember this vaguely and may be imagining the entire thing.
There are no cats on USA 2009 T100's, but they do have open loop O2 sensors. My recommendation is to remove the AI system and install a PowerCommander - they are no available for the 2009 EFI bikes!

Dick

1 - 20 of 105 Posts