Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried. :eek:
Got all the supplies together...read all the links...did all the prep and even concocted a cool fixture off the bike to mount the exhaust for drilling. Hole saw part went well...right through...then...it got tougher...a lot tougher. Broke the weld on the internal seam by rotating the baffle forward as hoped...and after almost two hours of trying to remove the short tube...for-ged-aboudit. (there is a f-ing in the middle of that btw) I tried everything really...got the little tube about 1/2 out but it hit a hard and I mean hard internal wall and couldn't even slide hammer it out using the weight of the exhaust with baffle tube chucked in the vice.

Disappointing but I will punt and do my civic duty and stimulate the economy ;)....TORS.
I know many on here prefer other exhausts but to me TORS sound the best...not in magnitude of sound but pitch throughout the rev range.

For '09, a slightly smaller hole saw is necessary. One thought is Triumph engineers may have had a laugh beefing the internal weld knowing a lot of owners are debaffling their pipes.

Will be interesting to hear how others fair and good luck to those with '09 bikes that attempt it.
Cheers,
George
PS: Rutger did the bafflectomy on his '08 bike and by all intents the pipe config. looks the same. I personally would not perform the jack hammer thing on the bike but to each his own. I believe the mesh left by pulling the short pipe out is what is restraining it why it takes some serious axial force to break free.
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/95923-another-08-bafflectomy-with-pics.html

·
30,527 Posts
Sorry to hear about that!

Still - TORs are allright. At least you gave it a go.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
All the good directions are for older exhausts - seems as though the new ones are a bit different.
But TORs sound really good - I have 'em. Wish they looked different, as I am not a fan of the old style pipes.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Gee , sorry to hear that George.

The pictures by ruger look pretty much the same as what I remember but they must have changed something. I do remember it was hard to get the baffes out but not that hard. You have nothing to lose by taking a sawzall to the ends and seeing if they come out.

I have read quite a bit that says Predators give you more midrange power and if I was buying cans i'd look into them . They have Preds that look like stockers too.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Thank you guys. At the end of the day, I am disappointed but not too plussed about as I believe the TORS will flow a touch better than the debaffled stockers. I could of gone with the pred's...not sure if they are out for '09 bikes as btw I believe the header attachment is fractionally different on the new bikes and earlier pipes aren't plug and play.
I like both old and new school pipe shapes. I like the look of the preds and maybe could have grown to love them but to me the sound isn't as good as the TORS. Others will disagree with that and prefer the preds or the NH Togas for example. If I were to summarize...to me the Pred's are too fart can-ish and Togas are two cherry bomb-ish...not in shape but sound. Only my opinion....others will disagree a and perhaps strongly. I feel the engineers at Triumph nailed the tone for the TORS. As to flow...the other pipes may flow fractionally better, but if better, not by much as the TORS as shown on this site by Rob to be good for about 6hp even without a jet change...about all one can expect from a freer flowing exhaust.
Lastly, for grins, I really wailed on the small pipe baffle with a 3 lb sledge to see if I could get it out and couldn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SZDkJbEm7o&feature=related

·
Registered
445 Posts
biker7,

Thanks for the update. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.

I guess I'm gonna have to keep saving for some new silencers.:eek:

·
30,527 Posts
Well, I kind of do disagree, but hey, vive la difference! I ran TORS for all of last year - loved them, just think I like these predators more! Like you say - a personal thing.

Just to be clear, the dominators and predators both, including the Toga and sleeper versions, HAVE been altered to suit the 09's. But again, if TORs are what you like, you should get those. I still like them - might keep mine I case I fancy changing back on occassion. I'm a bit fickle that way sometimes! :D

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Xchoppers has a fuel injected bike and got new pipes and a TORs remap and he loves it. I can't remember what pipes he got.

·
30,527 Posts
He got NH togas.

I know those TORS in that vid you posted Biker7! That's my buddy Kframe that I go riding with! :D

I believe in that vid he also has his snorkel removed, and the baffle plate out, which adds to the sound a little bit, but those TORs sound good in my opinion.

I think that gives me an idea, I think when I get together with my riding buddies we'll shoot a comparison video of stock pipes, TORs and predators. That will be a handy referenece. That has been done before with some of the other pipe options. Good stuff.

·
Registered
387 Posts
There you go again Biker7...leading the way when it comes to 2009 mods. If I was going to do a bafflectomy when I got my T100, there is no way I would even attempt it now.

I am sorry it didn't work out. If you are anything like me, you will find a way, eventually, to get that baffle out... but I also like the idea of getting the TORS. After much consideration if/when I upgrade the exhaust TORS would be my choice as well. I like the tonal quality, and I don't want to wake the neighbours on my early morning rides.

My Triumph shop tells me with the EFI, you don't need a flash if you are just going to TORS. I will be interested in what you do once you get them... and if the part numbers (and fit) for the TORS for 2009 are any different than the part numbers for the 2001-2007 TORS.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I kind of do disagree, but hey, vive la difference! I ran TORS for all of last year - loved them, just think I like these predators more! Like you say - a personal thing.

Just to be clear, the dominators and predators both, including the Toga and sleeper versions, HAVE been altered to suit the 09's. But again, if TORs are what you like, you should get those. I still like them - might keep mine I case I fancy changing back on occassion. I'm a bit fickle that way sometimes! :D
You may know better than I Prop since you have heard all the versions in person. I feel the TORS are a bit between the Togas and the Preds. To me the Preds have a real tight rappy pulse and the Togas have more of a muffled/blurred wave pulse and lower tone. I harken exhaust preference to music.
Here goes:
Stock aka sewing machine: Classical Mozart...an acquired taste...not ;)
TORS: Led Zepplin classic rock
Togas: ZZ Top
Preds: AC DC
:p
George

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There you go again Biker7...leading the way when it comes to 2009 mods. If I was going to do a bafflectomy when I got my T100, there is no way I would even attempt it now.

I am sorry it didn't work out. If you are anything like me, you will find a way, eventually, to get that baffle out... but I also like the idea of getting the TORS. After much consideration if/when I upgrade the exhaust TORS would be my choice as well. I like the tonal quality, and I don't want to wake the neighbours on my early morning rides.

My Triumph shop tells me with the EFI, you don't need a flash if you are just going to TORS. I will be interested in what you do once you get them... and if the part numbers (and fit) for the TORS for 2009 are any different than the part numbers for the 2001-2007 TORS.
Thank you Easy. I gave it my best and perhaps someone else on here maybe a bit more creative or physically stronger :) As to the part number thing...the TORS for '09 are a new part number so don't pick up a nice used set thinking they will bolt up as if they do...it won't be the best of fit...with the slight header pipe change for '09. A comment on sound level versus tone. I like both on the TORS as I believe they don't have quite the noise level preds do. I also like pipes with some sound. I honestly hated the exhaust note of the stock EFI Bonny though it seemed fractionally more tolerable than the stock carb'ed bikes I have heard...or my imagination. The last bike I had was a fire breather and very loud. I loved and hated the sound if that makes sense. I rode the bike with ear plugs because it was just too loud. I believe with the TORS I won't have to do that.
Good luck with your '09.
George

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He got NH togas.

I know those TORS in that vid you posted Biker7! That's my buddy Kframe that I go riding with! :D

I believe in that vid he also has his snorkel removed, and the baffle plate out, which adds to the sound a little bit, but those TORs sound good in my opinion.

I think that gives me an idea, I think when I get together with my riding buddies we'll shoot a comparison video of stock pipes, TORs and predators. That will be a handy referenece. That has been done before with some of the other pipe options. Good stuff.
Cool that you know that guy in the vid Prop. Again...no diss of the preds. If I rode both the preds and TORS...maybe the preds would get the nod. One doesn't know without riding both as you have.
I would like to see and hear that vid of you and your buddy Prop.
Best,
George

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not any more than me brother. :)
We should speak freely and have to say I agree with you. I likely would have gone with staintunes as they sound about perfect but they were almost 350 US dollars more than new TORS. Couldn't justify the delta but they are schweeet.
George

·
Registered
387 Posts
TORS do sound good... but Staintunes sound DAMN good! :D :D :D

(Sorry biker7.... sometimes I just can't resist the urge to be an ass.)
Not an ass at all. Just contributing as far as I am concerned. You are right... DAMN nice sound... I forgot about the Staintunes...so much choice... but George has a point about the $$$$.

BTW...great choice of bike color. :cool:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not an ass at all. Just contributing as far as I am concerned. You are right... DAMN nice sound... I forgot about the Staintunes...so much choice... but George has a point about the $$$$.

BTW...great choice of bike color. :cool:
Easy...a pretty interesting revelation made by your dealer that an EFI bike doesn't need a reflash with the TORS. Kind of begs the issue, what the reflash is for. One take is...the EFI bikes will adjust withing a certain AF window based upon exhaust backpressure and the reflash would benefit any level of pipe restriction from stock to say Preds. Reason being that these bikes are tuned lean from the factory to meet EPA requirements and the performance reflash moves away from that independent of pipe selection.
Any further thoughts?
George

·
Registered
387 Posts
Easy...a pretty interesting revelation made by your dealer that an EFI bike doesn't need a reflash with the TORS. Kind of begs the issue, what the reflash is for. One take is...the EFI bikes will adjust withing a certain AF window based upon exhaust backpressure and the reflash would benefit any level of pipe restriction from stock to say Preds. Reason being that these bikes are tuned lean from the factory to meet EPA requirements and the performance reflash moves away from that independent of pipe selection.
Any further thoughts?
George
I am far from an expert on CPUs and am only relating what the dealer told me. The gist of it was that if I don't remove the AI or modify the airbox the TORS are still restrictive enough to fall within the parameters of the original factory flash. (I am sure I read that somewhere on here as well). But please don't take this as gospel as it is a rather small dealership and I am not sure of their expertise when it comes to tuning the new EFI bikes. I am going to give them a try as they are only a half-hour ride from me and I believe in supporting the local guys. However, if over the long haul they don't inspire confidence in me that they are competent, I will have to go to the larger dealerships - even though they are an hour to 90 minutes away. Or learn to service the bike myself.

And thank you George for the heads-up on the part numbers being different for the TORs for the new EFI bikes. That does rule out getting a cheap pair on the Internet. Good luck getting yours sorted out. Please let us know what you end up with... and I hope you get it all together before that first nice warm day of spring.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I am far from an expert on CPUs and am only relating what the dealer told me. The gist of it was that if I don't remove the AI or modify the airbox the TORS are still restrictive enough to fall within the parameters of the original factory flash. (I am sure I read that somewhere on here as well). But please don't take this as gospel as it is a rather small dealership and I am not sure of their expertise when it comes to tuning the new EFI bikes. I am going to give them a try as they are only a half-hour ride from me and I believe in supporting the local guys. However, if over the long haul they don't inspire confidence in me that they are competent, I will have to go to the larger dealerships - even though they are an hour to 90 minutes away. Or learn to service the bike myself.

And thank you George for the heads-up on the part numbers being different for the TORs for the new EFI bikes. That does rule out getting a cheap pair on the Internet. Good luck getting yours sorted out. Please let us know what you end up with... and I hope you get it all together before that first nice warm day of spring.
TORS and turn signal and rear light stuff is all on order. Believe I will have the bike back together by April 1 in time for riding season. I will likely go with the reflash Easy at my local dealer as X-chopper reported an excellent result with the reflash and his NH Togas which likely don't flow much different than the TORS...perhaps fractionally. The reflash is one half hour labor only at my local dealer. I found new TORS for an EFI bike on ebay of all things...so fell into there...a bit cheaper than having my dealer do the install. I don't like dealers wrenching on my bike...do the work myself and save time and money and part of the fun of motorcycling IMHO. You described the reflash pretty well but I believe it would benefit all EFI bikes independent of pipe selection. The O2 sensors feedback exhaust temps to the ECM and adjust AF to the map burnt into the EPROM. It is a map that is tuned more for emissions than performance. Again this is independent of pipe backpressure. Yes...reducing backpressure will typically lean out the mixture because freer flowing pipes will flow more air and dillute the AF but the O2 sensors sense this heat difference and adjust back to the map again independent of pipe config. That is why TORS will work with the factory map...AF is adjusted back to the map. In summary, it will work OK but not take as much advantage of the extra air you could push through the motor by supplementing with a bit more fuel. So you want to move the Map more toward stoich which is what the reflash does which likely no longer meets the EPA guideline for emissions.
So I am going with it because you don't want to ride a lean burning air cooled motorcycle anyway as heat is the enemy of all engines and air cooled motors are challenged there. Hope that makes some sense.
Let us know how your '09 bike is...
George

1 - 20 of 30 Posts