Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've scoured the forums and my owners manual and can't find out what the gap on the stock NGK plugs is supposed to be. Since I have them out while I'm checking valve clearances, I figured it'd be nice to check/adjust them if necessary.
Thanks,
Sparky

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Slinky...:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bringing this topic back from the dead, does anyone know what the stock ngk plugs come out of the box with in terms of gap?

I (without thinking) just popped the NGK DPR8EA-9's in without even checking the gap :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
Bringing this topic back from the dead, does anyone know what the stock ngk plugs come out of the box with in terms of gap?

I (without thinking) just popped the NGK DPR8EA-9's in without even checking the gap :D
Out of the box, they usually seem to be within spec. I've only had to make minor tweaks here and there. Best to pull yours and make sure they're right, though.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Just got a set of NGK Iridiums (DPR8EIX-9). They're set to 0.350 from NGK. So these need a considerable amount of gapping.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Now that you mention it, I think I did the same thing. And mine were shipped not each in their own box, but both in a plastic bag, which was shipped in a box full of parts. Lot's of banging around to do. Gonna check 'em out tonight.

Thanks!
-Sparky

·
Registered
400 Posts
inches/mm
Metric strikes again!

In which case, nevermind.

The NGK Iridiums I just bought were factory gapped to about 0.875MM.

Thanks for the catch vitesse, I almost put them in the bike gapped in inches!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I think he means .035" which is about .875mm.

The dash no relates to the gap size. No need to set the gap these days.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think he means .035" which is about .875mm.

The dash no relates to the gap size. No need to set the gap these days.
I believe that to be the case with *most* plugs for any vehicle --- cars or bikes.

But I had also swapped out for Nology Hotwire Spark Plug Wires, and the instructions for these Plug Wires specifically cautioned for having the right gap… Granted the right gap was set from the manufacturer, I still felt it important to double-check.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Metric strikes again!

In which case, nevermind.

The NGK Iridiums I just bought were factory gapped to about 0.875MM.

Thanks for the catch vitesse, I almost put them in the bike gapped in inches!
We all have been confused at times. It's only number....right?

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
I replaced my Daytona plugs with NGK and the gap for all three was too tight. They were good for my Thrux. Pays to check.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts