Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I just bought this bike and love it and the way it sounds with the Hyde Togas sans baffles. A brief history about me: I'm a long time wrench, motorcycles, cars, helicopter mech in the Marine Corps, etc and I was a computer network admin, so I'm excited to get into EFI mapping! I've been running down the rabbit hole on this awesome forum and reading up on TuneECU site and TTP and Hyde, etc. I still have some questions. Since I inherited this bike with these pipes I want to take the next step and let more air in (current stock airbox). It seems a no brainer to try a higher flowing air filter in the stock box and remove the snorkel and perhaps the baffle? The AI is removed. And of course this brings me to A/F ratio questions and I hope someone here is willing to lend a hand.

1. On the TuneECU site the closest map list section I could identify was "BONNEVILLE 900 / not T 120 / up to VIN # 739050 (aircooled) / Keihin ECU." Now, I think this is my section since the last six of my VIN begin with a 4. Am I correct? This bike is 865cc so the "900" in the title of the list section is confusing to me.
2. Can I program this bike with the USB cable from my Android phone using TuneECU?
3. Looking at the TuneECU site, they don't mention the Toga slip ons. Anyone know if I should use "Arrow 2:2" or "Aftermarket" or what? It would be nice to have a resistance chart between aftermarket pipes.
4. What does TORS stand for? Triumph something something stock?
5. From the dyno charts on the TTP site, it looks like the the greatest gain for the least amount of intake futzing is to remove the snorkel, AI and install a higher flow air filter in the stock airbox. This is what TTP calls Stage 1. Getting that baffle out of that box (Stage 1.5?) seems like a real chore that I'm not willing to do for a 2HP gain at around 4K rpm, or am I?
6. Anyone have these pipes and a similar intake setup and a map they're happy with? I'd love to see a TuneECU map vs bike configuration table on this forum, describing different peoples' configs and the maps they're happy with.
7. Since you can buy a $20 cable and use TuneECU, why would anyone buy the Commander? Am I missing something? I'm not sure what it does other than make for a very expensive USB adapter box that has essentially the same functionality as the far cheaper cable. Sorry if I'm stepping on toes with this one, but I have to ask.
8. Are all .hex files configured in the same way? In other words, could I use TuneECU and the cable to install a hex map file from TTP or Hyde? I do understand that people have gone to great pains to create lovely maps for various configurations and I'm certainly willing to pay for a good map. I'm just trying to understand how this all works from an interface perspective.
9. There is talk that some of the EFI bikes have catalytics in the header pipes? How would I know if this bike has them?

Well, that's enough for now. Thanks in advance for chiming in! This is my 7 moto and already is by far my favorite and I'm so excited to start messing with A/F maps! I've always dreamed of owning a classic(ly styled) bike.
Cheers,
Tyler

·
Registered
159 Posts
point #5 ... getting the baffle out is easy. {provided you never want to put it back in again - why would you.? ]

OK this method entails pulling the baffle out of the inlet [ where the snorkel was]
Get a hair dryer and point it into the airbox [obviously air filter out.!]
After a while the plastic baffle plastic will soften enough to 'ease' it out with pliers / grips [oh and some swearing of course]
you'll soon feel where you need to warm up the plastic . I found a twisting action to wind it up to the ease / pull out.
By the time you've finished your cup of coffee / beer [you did get that before you started] the job of removing the baffle will be complete.
Main tip - keep the plastic baffle warm
Have fun ... Jon..

·
Registered
953 Posts
What you want to do for a great running bike is to install TTP Tune #3. I am running NH Toga's with Tune #3 and it's perfect. Remove and or add whatever TTP indicates and install the tune you'll be happy you did. Here's the page you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you want to do for a great running bike is to install TTP Tune #3. I am running NH Toga's with Tune #3 and it's perfect. Remove and or add whatever TTP indicates and install the tune you'll be happy you did. Here's the page you need.
OK, thanks! So Baffle out, Breathe installed, AI removed, Toga pipes, TTP Tune #3. What about oxygen sensor? Remove and disbled in TuneECU? Also, can I use TuneECU to remap with TTP #3? Or does it require Commander module?
Cheers,
Tyler

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can do all sorts with tuneECU , but best to do the TTP stuff 1st. Then get the hang of it all, enjoy the improved ride. I think you'll find that you don't need to do much more. (small steps).. I use tuneECU for monitoring , fault/error codes, but plenty of folk dabble in mapping.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Cartner, yes O2 gets removed and plugged. The tune from TTP will be all you need as far as software you will not need Tuneecu anymore. Full instructions will accompany your purchase. Mike at TTP is a contributor here and great to work with. You can use the software he sends you for most all your needs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cartner, yes O2 gets removed and plugged. The tune from TTP will be all you need as far as software you will not need Tuneecu anymore. Full instructions will accompany your purchase. Mike at TTP is a contributor here and great to work with. You can use the software he sends you for most all your needs.
OK, cool, I just got an email from Mike at TTP. Do I just use the same adapter that I used with tune, with TTP software? In other words, I don't need the Commander?
Thanks yrunvs!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Also Mike's software can be used over and over for throttle body syncs, speedo adjustments and other such things

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
point #5 ... getting the baffle out is easy. {provided you never want to put it back in again - why would you.? ]

OK this method entails pulling the baffle out of the inlet [ where the snorkel was]
Get a hair dryer and point it into the airbox [obviously air filter out.!]
After a while the plastic baffle plastic will soften enough to 'ease' it out with pliers / grips [oh and some swearing of course]
you'll soon feel where you need to warm up the plastic . I found a twisting action to wind it up to the ease / pull out.
By the time you've finished your cup of coffee / beer [you did get that before you started] the job of removing the baffle will be complete.
Main tip - keep the plastic baffle warm
Have fun ... Jon..
Thanks bud, most sensible approach I've heard so far! It is just plastic after all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My I make a suggestion. I to went the the whole process, pipes AIS removal TOR, them Custom pipes on my 13 t100 special. Re-tunes and playing with maps in Tune ecu. Its like you do one thing and that leads on to another, pipes lead to tune to fix flatspots, AIS to stop poping on overun, another tune and 02 delete. then airbox removal. Costing a fortune and all I seem to do is chase my tail. So bit the bullet and put the original TOR,s on with the triumph factory tune for TOR,s put it all back to stock. leaving the AIS delete on . The bike is now as it was meant to be,ok it doesn't go as hard up top or have that 360 bark from the pipes, but its a lot nicer to ride and good on fuel. IMHO save your money and your time and enjoy it. PS, Tune ecu is a great tool for codes and TB balance, Buy an old laptop and download the windows version, Buy the recommended cable. it also does cars and with a good OBD2 program you have a Diagnostic laptop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My I make a suggestion. I to went the the whole process, pipes AIS removal TOR, them Custom pipes on my 13 t100 special. Re-tunes and playing with maps in Tune ecu. Its like you do one thing and that leads on to another, pipes lead to tune to fix flatspots, AIS to stop poping on overun, another tune and 02 delete. then airbox removal. Costing a fortune and all I seem to do is chase my tail. So bit the bullet and put the original TOR,s on with the triumph factory tune for TOR,s put it all back to stock. leaving the AIS delete on . The bike is now as it was meant to be,ok it doesn't go as hard up top or have that 360 bark from the pipes, but its a lot nicer to ride and good on fuel. IMHO save your money and your time and enjoy it. PS, Tune ecu is a great tool for codes and TB balance, Buy an old laptop and download the windows version, Buy the recommended cable. it also does cars and with a good OBD2 program you have a Diagnostic laptop.
Thanks for your input here. It's good to hear from the other side. Frankly, I'm not chasing HP, although I'm not averse to a bit more, but I'm simply looking for a smooth running bike with some zip. I bought the bike with AIS removed and Hyde Togas on it already so I'm half way there and I may as well go the distance and see if I like it. The bike runs quite good with factory tune, Togas, AIS out, and snorkle out. There are little dips in throttle here and there and touchy spots, but I've been riding long enough that I quickly adapt to any bike's idiosyncrasies and they don't bother me so much. For a fairly small output, less than $300, I'll get the O2 plugs, DNS stock air filter, TTP tune and pull out the airbox baffle. This is the setup that TTP calls stage 1.5, which has more umpf on the mid range, which is more important to me than at top rpms.
It's my first fuel injected bike, first Triumph and I'm having fun.
Cheers,
Tyler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts