Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any recomendations for rear suspension units for the 2009 alloy wheel models. The stock units are oversprung having only single rate springs and hitting a bump in the road has you airborne easily on the lowest preload setting. I have temporarily improved the situation by fitting an old pair of 340mm units of a 2004 Bonneville and the ride quality is much improved. I am leaning towards Progressive 412's or Ikon units but do I go for 340mm or 330mm units like what is fitted( I am not bothered about the lower seat height offered by the 330's and it makes little difference anyway as the sag when you sit on the bike is a lot more with the 340's with the dual rate springs than the stock 330's). Any recomendations on spring rates I am 175Lb's (80 Kg) and I often have my wife on the back and she is about 120 Lb's (55kg). Also anyone got any reasoning why Triumph have gone this way with the rear suspension, I cant quite get my head round why they have got it so wrong.
Best
Colin

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anybody have any recomendations for rear suspension units for the 2009 alloy wheel models. The stock units are oversprung having only single rate springs and hitting a bump in the road has you airborne easily on the lowest preload setting. I have temporarily improved the situation by fitting an old pair of 340mm units of a 2004 Bonneville and the ride quality is much improved. I am leaning towards Progressive 412's or Ikon units but do I go for 340mm or 330mm units like what is fitted( I am not bothered about the lower seat height offered by the 330's and it makes little difference anyway as the sag when you sit on the bike is a lot more with the 340's with the dual rate springs than the stock 330's). Any recomendations on spring rates I am 175Lb's (80 Kg) and I often have my wife on the back and she is about 120 Lb's (55kg). Also anyone got any reasoning why Triumph have gone this way with the rear suspension, I cant quite get my head round why they have got it so wrong.
Best
Colin
I went with the standard size Ikons from Norman Hyde and they've made a massive difference to stability. I went with these because I wanted black body and black springs and Ikons did that. I use them dialled to 1 for toddling round back roads and 2 when riding harder. I also replaced the fork springs and that's helped. I was more shocked by the poor quality of the fork springs than the rears to be honest.
jon

1 - 2 of 2 Posts