Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

New to the forum and new to the wonderful world of Triumph ownership.

I just recently picked up a 2008 Triumph Scrambler with 9k miles on it.When I first picked it up, the bike had been sitting for a while and the jets got mucked up. The mechanic I bought it from cleaned the carb out and put a new 125 in, left the stock 40s. The bike has an air box delete kit with snorkel removed, and Ramair filters.

The bike has had incredibly inconsistent gas mileage, where my first few tanks I was hitting 70-85 before reserve and putting in 2.7-3 gallons at the pump. The most recent three tanks have gotten better, but still puzzling. I hit reserve at 105, filled at 115, put in 2.6 gallons. Then hit reserve at 92, filled at 103, put in 2.3 gallons. Then yesterday I hit reserve at 82, drove until I was at 105, and then put in 3.1 gallons.

My noob self doesn’t even know where to start first or what could even remotely be the issue.

·
Registered
929 Posts
The 115 miles to hit reserve sounds about right. The carby bikes have a manual petcock as you know and hitting reserve is simply the gas in the tank falling below the petcocks gas feed tube. MPG and total miles traveled will vary per right wrist activity. If the bike is running fine keep riding and things may level out for you.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi!

New to the forum and new to the wonderful world of Triumph ownership.

I just recently picked up a 2008 Triumph Scrambler with 9k miles on it.When I first picked it up, the bike had been sitting for a while and the jets got mucked up. The mechanic I bought it from cleaned the carb out and put a new 125 in, left the stock 40s. The bike has an air box delete kit with snorkel removed, and Ramair filters.

The bike has had incredibly inconsistent gas mileage, where my first few tanks I was hitting 70-85 before reserve and putting in 2.7-3 gallons at the pump. The most recent three tanks have gotten better, but still puzzling. I hit reserve at 105, filled at 115, put in 2.6 gallons. Then hit reserve at 92, filled at 103, put in 2.3 gallons. Then yesterday I hit reserve at 82, drove until I was at 105, and then put in 3.1 gallons.

My noob self doesn’t even know where to start first or what could even remotely be the issue.
Hi mate,

So fuel mileage will vary with how you ride the bike..

It does sound like it has been set up quite lean to me... with the Airbox removed and pods fitted I expect you’d want larger jets... possibly speak to pieman on here (TTP) about jetting (it’s easy to do)... Performance and tuning products for air cooled Triumph twins is the site but as I say he’s on here and very knowledgeable..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts