Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 2008 ST has an oil leak but only when it first starts.
Havent had time to investigate but had a quick look underneath, it is coming from around the oil filter, but it’s not the oil filter.
You can see it on the couple of small bolts next to the filter.
When you first start it it will leave a drop every couple of minutes, I started it yesterday to check voltage and it dripped 4 times while idling.
Started it at home today and was running while I put on helmet gloves and got ready. It dripped a few times. Went to fill up which is 2k away and it dripped at the servo.
Went on a 130km ride and nothing when I stopped. Rode back home and again nothing.
Anyone have this happen to them?
I will investigate more on the weekend to see what is going on.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
What brand of filter is it?
There was a bit of talk about Purolator changing the shape where it mounts some time back. I use Purolator but never had any leaks. I just go around 100 inch pounds when putting on the filter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Purolator here Steve, but I will check the oil filter and see.
I didn’t think it was it because it’s clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good you found it. More years ago than I want to think about I had an intermittent oil leak from an oil filter.
It was either a small pin hole or cut in the rubber seal that would only leak at certain temperatures. And because that motorcycle had fairings I couldn't see exactly where it was leaking from until I took them off and started the motor from cold and just watched and waited for it to drip.
I should have just changed it.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I don't bother with torque values. I spin the filter on until the gasket touches, then tighten 3/4 of a turn.

After I make sure the seating surface is clean, and the previous gasket isn't still there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have several bikes and some of the filters are difficult to get to so I just put on the filter wrench and grab the torque wrench. Works for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts