Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If that's what it say's. Do you have reason to question that?

What I'd like ti know is why the clutch lever hasn't been upgraded to match the new brake lever?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
NGK CR9EK with a gap setting of .7 mm.
Sounds correct. If I remember right, that is the default NGK gap. Should not be much need to adjust on new plugs.

Also don't be tempted by the fancier single electrode racing plugs. Speedy runs and especially idles best with the dual electrode stock fitments.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
What I'd like ti know is why the clutch lever hasn't been upgraded to match the new brake lever?
Upgraded how? The brake lever changed because brake master cylinder is now radial (so in effect the pushing direction rotated 90 degrees). Clutch is still direct cable operated, so no need for overcomplicated lever like on brake side.
:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The manual for my 08 says:

NGK CR9EK with a gap setting of .7 mm.

Is this acurate?
If I remember right, with Technical News 103 (Sept. 2008), Triumph switched from CR9EK to CR8EK for all 1050's. You might check with your local dealer to verify this info.

JoE.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Upgraded how? The brake lever changed because brake master cylinder is now radial (so in effect the pushing direction rotated 90 degrees). Clutch is still direct cable operated, so no need for overcomplicated lever like on brake side.
:confused:
Yeah I fully understand the new brake lever, but the old clutch lever is a completely different shape and just doesn't look right. I just see it as corner cutting by not tooling another clutch lever!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no idea what an "intermittent gap" is.
My owners manual for my 2008 speedy says gap to be .7mm. It is the same manual for the 955i and the Speedy but there are 2 columns listed for the specs. Perhaps an older manual? Should the gap be different?

·
Registered
919 Posts
A couple of years ago when I bought my 06 most people considered the CR9EIX to be the better choice. I doubt that has changed. The fine wire iridium electrode is more resistant to fouling. Could be why they changed to the 8 (if they actually did) while staying with the cheaper plug.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts