Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST GOT MY FIRST TRIPLE AFTER OWNING BOUT ALMOST EVERY SPORTS BIKE THERE IS. it came with a dead battery , i bout a new one .. it d start, but after changing the exhaust , and with fully charged battery , the engine cranks fast, but it wont just start,,, it was starting for a while but now it wont start... strong smell of gas after a few tries... can someone have some input as to why it wont start.. The exhaust i put i understand makes it run richer than the stock ..its a MIVV GP, its sounds amazing too.. please help , LOve the bike its what I ve want now...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an '06 running the MIVV GP. I had that issue once at the beginning of a season and it was the battery. Make sure the battery is strong. I have jumped mine of my car before. Give it some time between trys to clear the gas out. Is you O2 sensor hooked up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an '06 running the MIVV GP. I had that issue once at the beginning of a season and it was the battery. Make sure the battery is strong. I have jumped mine of my car before. Give it some time between trys to clear the gas out. Is you O2 sensor hooked up?
Hmmm, I dont think so , there was no place to hook up an O2 sensor on the exhaust... ...I charged the bat all nite and it runs strong ... tried it with a car... :( maybe im trying to hard , ..SHould I take the spark plungs out and see if the are gettign moist??? hmmm I really wanna ride this thing ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
just checkin'

You probably have done this but just in case....,remember to pull the clutch lever in when starting (safety switch) and to have the kill switch in the run position. :)
Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You probably have done this but just in case....,remember to pull the clutch lever in when starting (safety switch) and to have the kill switch in the run position. :)
Cheers
yea , thanks ... The engine actually turns, the starter engages ...I did have however some issue b4 with the switch , but that doesnt seem to be the prlm , ..hey , thanks anyways :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Changeover relay

My '05 had starting problems from new and the dealer was clueless. The bike was two weeks old and would not start. The dealer said the plugs were fouled and I did smell raw fuel. This starting problem kept re-occurring and never exactly the same but, always the smell of raw fuel. Finally, last year, it would not start and it wiped out the sprag and the battery at the same time. I installed the updated sprag and a new battery and it still would not start. The problem was the changeover relay. Immediately in front of the battery, looking forward, there are four relays. The one on the far right is the starter relay. To it's left is the headlight relay. To it's left is the engine management system relay. This is the one I had to replace. For testing, just swap the engine management relay with any other matching relay and try to start the engine. If it fires, get a new relay. Mine cost almost twelve dollars last year. It now starts better than ever. This is worth a try. Good luck and let us know your progress..

·
Registered
56 Posts
RE: 2007 S3 will not start

I just remembered another problem I had. My ignition switch had a wire come loose. It gave no warning. I went to restart the engine and nothing worked. I found it luckily by wiggling the harness that plugged into the bottom of the switch, it would make and break contact. This repair required me to disassemble the switch and re-solder a wire back into the connector. At least there was no outlay of cash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh OK , but did the starter engage , before the problem was fixed?

cause now everything works , but the engine just doesnt fire up, but the starter cranks fast and all....

I just remembered another problem I had. My ignition switch had a wire come loose. It gave no warning. I went to restart the engine and nothing worked. I found it luckily by wiggling the harness that plugged into the bottom of the switch, it would make and break contact. This repair required me to disassemble the switch and re-solder a wire back into the connector. At least there was no outlay of cash.

·
Registered
56 Posts
RE: 2007 S3 will not start

Raydeje,

Yes, the engine would crank with a bad relay. The relay controls engine management, not the starter. The starter is a separate relay. Triumph uses either two or three relays that are exactly alike. Just swap the changeover/engine management relay with a like unit and start the bike. If it starts, you know the relay is bad. Make sure you know which relay you swapped so you do not have to do this several times to pinpoint the bad one again. You may be able to purchase a like relay from a parts store. Just match up the markings and the terminals. Not much cheaper but, if the dealer is closed, faster. The ignition switch problem was just another electrical problem I had. When the wire was loose, nothing worked. That happened after I fixed the sprag, battery, an relay. Good luck and let us know your progress.
Paul

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just took my 07 in to have the same problem checked out. I did investigate myself before i took it in to see if it was simple. Got as far as pulling the coils and checking plugs. Got that far and found one coil and plug was all corroded. I stopped there and figured it was still under warranty. Ill let you know what they find with mine.

PS i have the Arrow 3-1 on mine, and i had the same smell going on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks bro. I changed the spark plugs, they were old and rusted , and wet , Its starting like a charm now, ... it runs rich with that pipe but i cant afford a power commander or a remap.

Thanks for all ur help

·
Registered
35 Posts
Should start first time....shouldn't it?

I bought my used 2007 S3 a few weeks ago, and soon after fouled the plugs. I did the show and tell to a few friends at work, couple of (cold) starts to let them hear the sound of the MIVV exhaust. Went out three hours later to go home, and the motor would turn over but not start.
Prior to this (owned it about 5 days at this point) it started first time, every time. I had it taken to the dealer who replaced the plugs, and at my request performed the 6000 mile service(5200 miles on it, so close enough).

They also found the following issues: the stepper motor wasn't installed correctly (they adjusted), ISC voltage was set incorrectly for proper idling (reset it), airbox was not installed to throttle body correctly (cleaned out dirt/debris from throttle bodies and installed airbox correctly). So now everything should work perfectly, right?

But it takes 2 or 3 or sometimes 4 attempts to start the bike.

I talked to a dealer who said (when cold) I should turn on the bike, allow it to go through it's checks, etc., turn off for 15 seconds, turn on again allow to go through it's checks, and then hit the starter. Is this reasonable? Am I wrong to think it should start first time every time? Do I need to go back to the dealer? Warranty is up end of May, so if it's something that could be covered, I'd like to figure it out now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
not sure m8 I was told by the dealer the cycle the kill switch multiple times in cold weather and after sitting for awhile (if you have a hard starter). Every time you flip the switch it cycles new fuel in.

My buddy's S3 had starting problems just when cold cold. every time he would move the bike (roll it) it seemed to start. Found it his kickstand kill switch was sticking down. Im sure this really has nothing to do with yours im just yammering.

:p

good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just heard back from the service department. First the guy told me that i was running around with the choke on..... Yeh its an 07 and yeh it has no choke. So i straightened that out. Second he told me the battery was to blame, it wasnt getting enough voltage to send the proper signals blah blah blah... Next it was the Plugs were fouled. Now after a full week in the shop its the charging system isnt working right. I told them that the plugs were fouled and the battery was junk to begin with so who knows what they are going to find next. Im currently looking for a new triumph deal w/ service in Wisconsin. if anyone has any suggestions let me know please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just heard back from the service department. First the guy told me that i was running around with the choke on..... Yeh its an 07 and yeh it has no choke. So i straightened that out. Second he told me the battery was to blame, it wasnt getting enough voltage to send the proper signals blah blah blah... Next it was the Plugs were fouled. Now after a full week in the shop its the charging system isnt working right. I told them that the plugs were fouled and the battery was junk to begin with so who knows what they are going to find next. Im currently looking for a new triumph deal w/ service in Wisconsin. if anyone has any suggestions let me know please.

Damn , soounds a lot like my problem , exept mines was fixed with the plugs, ... Dont give up man , it might just be something simple and small, ... check the relays to see if the are all tight

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks! That worked.

That worked! Today anyway. Instead of running through the whole cycle two times and waiting, etc., I just flipped the kill switch on and off a few times and it started first time. It was pretty cold this morning too. I'll try that a couple of more times before I believe that's it, but thanks.
But still, why doesn't the bugger just start first time without this? :confused:

not sure m8 I was told by the dealer the cycle the kill switch multiple times in cold weather and after sitting for awhile (if you have a hard starter). Every time you flip the switch it cycles new fuel in.

My buddy's S3 had starting problems just when cold cold. every time he would move the bike (roll it) it seemed to start. Found it his kickstand kill switch was sticking down. Im sure this really has nothing to do with yours im just yammering.

:p

good luck

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Kill Switch

But still, why doesn't the bugger just start first time without this? :confused:
My dealer pointed out that a few tens of seconds after hitting the kill switch, the bike makes a quiet R2D2-like noise. This is the bike pumping the fuel OUT of the injectors to make sure that the bike can stand for a while without dripping fuel into the fuel system causing any amount of damage.

When you flick the kill switch to "run", the bike will pump some fuel back into the lines to get ready to run.

When it's cold outside, the bike may need more fuel to start to overcome the temperature differential so flicking the kill switch a few times may pump just enough extra fuel into the lines to give it a little more juice to start with.

If you continue to have problems with your bike not starting easily, you may want to check your fuel filter isn't clogged and that your fuel lines are clean and clear. Otherwise, contact your dealer - they should have a service dep't that can diagnose such issues pretty easily.

HTH.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts