Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

Running into a problem with my 2007 Speed Triple, and hoping someone can assist. Within the last couple weeks, it has started to run rough at low RPMs, and lately it's starting to run rough under load, almost as if it's down to 2 cylinders or running really rich. Running at highway speed is just fine though. It idles "normally" on average at 1300, but let it sit idling and it sounds like a cylinder drops off periodically and comes back in.

I bought it used from a dealership at the end of April at 22,300 miles, and have put over 700 miles on it since then. It has Danmoto Carbon pipes, and TuneECU tells me it has the 20530 map. It ran great for about 600 miles or so.... I did try the 12 minute autotune, but that didn't seem to have an effect.

I tried Seafoam, didn't seem to fix it either. I also checked the battery:
12.79v at the terminals powered off,
12.02v with the lights on, and
14.26v running at idle.

It drops to 13.8v at 3000 RPM, but I'm told that's normal from one of the awesome posts on this forum!

For TPS, TuneECU shows me:
630 hPa for cyl 1,
610 hPa for cyl 2, and
630 hPa for cyl 3.

I don't know if the valves have been checked, though that's been on my radar.

Any ideas? I've seen several posts that make me think this isn't a rare problem for this bike.

At least no bolts have fallen off yet. My Harley used to throw bolts like a prom queen throwing candy at a parade...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ride4lame - My understanding is that these bikes are supposed to idle between 1100 -1200. Mine idles really high (~1350). I suspect it is because of the non-OEM map loaded into the ECU.
@DieselGeek - Thanks! I bought new plugs, seals, and filters (air, oil, fuel). And I am in the process of checking the valves.

Speaking of which, I've measured the valve clearance as best I can with straight feeler guages, and here are the numbers:
Intake Specification: 0.10 - 0.20 mm
Exhaust Specification: 0.20 - 0.30 mm

Measurements:
Intake / Exhaust (in mm, from cylinder 1 to cylinder 3)
0.15 / 0.31
0.15 / 0.31
0.20 / 0.28
0.20 / 0.30
0.20 / 0.31
0.20 / 0.31

I spoke with one of the service guys here at one of the shops about being so close to the line on these measurements. His take was, don't make work for work. He said that even if the measurement is a tight .21 on the intake (or .31 on the exhaust), he'd be inclined to leave it. He mentioned that valve clearances tend to get tighter the more they wear, so eventually the .31 on the exhaust would start to come down. I've heard this same thing from others on this forum, and in other venues.

Does this seem reasonable, or should I really look into adjusting the valve clearances? It looks like at least 4 of the exhaust valves are technically out of spec. And these are tight .31 - I can't get .32 to fit. I also found it interesting to note that the intake on cylinder 1 seemed to be quite different than the other two sets.

The other thing I noticed taking this thing apart is that the spark plugs didn't seem very tight, and when I pulled the coils off the plugs, all 3 of the coils appeared to be wet. The moisture evaporated after leaving them out while I checked the valve clearance. I'll post pictures once I get them transferred off my phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Given the measurements above, I decided to put the bike back together without adjusting the valves. I put the cam cover back on with a new gasket and a little Yamalube Yamabond, and put in the new coil seals and spark plugs. I also put in new air, oil, and fuel filters. Whatever the problem was, it seems to be fixed. I got it back together and took it out on a run. No problems! I'm assuming it was either bad or loose plugs, though the new filters probably didn't hurt.

In working on the bike, I found a number of tools that have been tremendously helpful. The torque wrench adapter in particular was a lifesaver for someone who doesn't trust, "tighten till hand-tight, then a quarter turn..." The feeler gauges (also from MotionPro) were also helpful in measuring the valves. I had trouble trying to get my straight feeler gauges down under the cam lobes, but these gauges were awesome! I haven't balanced the throttle bodies yet, but the screwdriver is going to be my friend. Enjoy!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Nice. I agree with your mechanic, I wouldn't be adjusting those very small discrepencies personally. If they were slightly out of spec in the other direction (too tight) I would have thought about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts