Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need as much input as I can get. It seems the guy who repaired my S3 prior to me purchasing it mixing two kinds of coolant, In turn I developed a pretty mean sludge build up. I have been searching all over and can't find what TYPE of coolant I should use. I am flushing it out soon and running water through it to clean as much out as I can. I still have a lot to learn so help me out here guys!
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Here's a thread with more info on coolant: http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/99559-coolant-change.html

I had a lot of muddy looking sludge in my '07 too. But I bought mine new so I think it's the crap that Triumph puts in 'em. I flushed my system out with lots of distilled water and then used Engine Ice last fall. With the Engine Ice, no more sludge.

Cheers and good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thank you. I am currently running water through it now to clean some of the crap out. I love this bike, my brother couldn't fit it in his trailer when he moved, so I took it off his hands.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you are flushing the system to replace coolant, remember about opening engine block drain plug (front of block, on the left side). Without it a lot of coolant is left still in the block (along with the sludge).

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Flush your system with Rapid Flush, and put in some NPG+ waterless coolant from www.evanscooling.com You will never have sludge in your motor again, and you can leave it in for years. I have had the same coolant since Oct '04, and it looks new.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you are flushing the system to replace coolant, remember about opening engine block drain plug (front of block, on the left side). Without it a lot of coolant is left still in the block (along with the sludge).
Any picture to point which engine plug it is?? Also is there a order on how to do this job? Something like:

1. open radiator cap
2. remove drain bolt from water pump cover??

Do you have to bleed the system after? If so how?

thx

·
Registered
657 Posts
From Triumph service manual:
1 & 2 - remove seat and disconnect battery minus (??). You can simply skip this silliness.
3. Remove the coolant pressure cap on the radiator after first releasing the screw retaining it to the radiator (don't do it on hot engine - pressure, hot spray etc)
4. Position the container to collect the displaced fluid.
5. Slacken the clip then release the bottom hose from the water pump.
6. To drain the crankcase completely, remove the drain plug shown in the illustration below.

BTW, this is from '07 service manual, '05 doesn't have it.

Additionally, to do the thorough job, disconnect the tube to drain overflow tank. It is routed so artfully that tank will never drain when you open the cap. When you fill the system back, fill the reservoir too.
Yes, you need to bleed the system.
It is always recommended to fill the system on rear stand. You don't have to do it on Japanese bikes, because cap is in high point of radiator when bike is on sidestand. Triumph - on the left, lower side. So after you fill the radiator to the top of cap opening (slowly, so no air pockets form) you should get fluid oveflowing from bleeder opening on the right/top side of radiator (I've assumed that you had open it). Close the cap, leave bleeder open, start the engine. As the temperature rises you'll start getting fluid coming up from bleeder hole - let it do it for few seconds, then put the plug in. You're done, air has escaped. On the cap side air will go through the tube to overflow tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know a really old thread but no mention of the coolant needed. I know the manual recommends a Triumph specific coolant pre-mix. Can any motorcycle specific pre-mixed coolant do? Is there something special with the Triumph coolant or it just the service manual's way of getting you to use a Triumph item.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
No....... you must use the correct type of coolant ! as there is at least 2 different types out there & I've seen & read that certain types of Coolants when mixed have a chemical reactions & it causes the coolant fluid to then thicken right up into a gel like state !!!! ( I'm not sure & don't quote me but I think the Pink & the Green mixed together are a definate NO GO ) You should be using a 50 / 50 mix of Ethylene Glycol & Distilled Water . I'd flush your system well with a hose fed flow of fresh water ( not at more than say... 20 psi pressure ) then - refill with the correct type & ratio mix & burp & top up to the radiator first ...from the right side ( the highest side when on the side stand ) then the Header tank to the Minimum level when fluid is cold ...not the upper level ! or it will dump the later then hot expanded volume of coolant all over you or the ground. Cheers Lee.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's what I thought. A pre-mixed motorcycle specific coolant would be sufficient in the S3. I have extra Honda sportbike coolant that I can use. The S3 service manual notes some other formula (don't have the manual with me to note what it's called) other than the usual glycol mix.

Meets all the requirements of the Triumph coolant buy at any Honda Car dealer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts