Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2006 triumph American and I knew that it had problems but I bought it at a low price and wanted to fix it up. I did a general maintenance on it before starting it (new oil, new fuel, new spark plugs, cleaned and rebuilt the carb) after all that I cranked it over but it doesn’t want to start. I checked the spark plugs and the right SP wasn’t firing so I did some trouble shooting and I got to a faulty CDI. I bought a new one (procom) and a new pick up coil just in case. slapped both of them on and it fix the spark problem but the engine still won’t fire up. Any suggestions before I take it to a real man who can fix it? 😂

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,040 Posts
If it’s cranking strong and u have good spark maybe it’s a fuel related problem, possible check your fuel pump make sure it’s doing its job. Do u smell any gas when u r trying to fire it up, check your carb and filters to see if gas is present, could b fuel starvation if u are not smelling any gas while or after u try and start it up….. FTG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it’s cranking strong and u have good spark maybe it’s a fuel related problem, possible check your fuel pump make sure it’s doing its job. Do u smell any gas when u r trying to fire it up, check your carb and filters to see if gas is present, could b fuel starvation if u are not smelling any gas while or after u try and start it up….. FTG
Thank you for the reply. I honestly thought I wasn’t gonna get one 😂 alright so yes after trying to start it I pulled the spark plugs and they smelt like fuel and as well as the smell coming from the bore. I decided to do a compression test on both bores and found that the left cylinder only has 30 psi. Bad rings maybe?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do a wet compression test. Wet Compression Test Results Explained

Also you may want to take the battery to a auto shop and have it load tested. A low battery can cause a bike to turn over but not fire.
Okay update. I did the wet compression test and the psi stayed the same (30 psi) so if it’s not the rings what else could it be? And the battery I thats on the bike is new. I got a new one when I got the bike

·
Premium Member
'06 SM 865, Sceptre Exh, Uni Pods, 45p/148m, NBZT, SAI X'd, Nology Coils, TTP S1 CDI
203 Posts
@FLY-TRI-GUY

Umm, I'm fairly certain that an '06 America (carbureted), does NOT have a fuel pump... fuel is gravity-fed via the petcock to the carbs!

@MattMichael70!!

Correct model name is Triumph America (not "American", but perhaps your phone was auto-correcting for you).

A possible cause of your no-fire condition...
Do you have a Haynes or Triumph Factory Service Manual, with a wiring diagram? Have you checked to verify that the coil trigger wires from the CDI are routed to the correct coil and not crossed - firing the wrong coil at the wrong time? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the '06 America has a dual-coil, 270° crank-triggered 865cc motor the same as the Speedmaster?)

Keep at it - you'll figure it out!

Regards,
John

·
Premium Member
'06 SM 865, Sceptre Exh, Uni Pods, 45p/148m, NBZT, SAI X'd, Nology Coils, TTP S1 CDI
203 Posts
@MattMichael70!!

A couple things come to mind...

When you changed the oil did the used oil reek of fuel?

When you removed the carbs for service did you, by any chance, look into the intake bores and notice anything amiss?

Do you have access to a bore scope to look inside the cylinder and/or intake port?

Have you removed the cam covers and noticed anything that doesn't look right?...
If you have removed the covers, did you maybe check valve lash/clearance while they were off ?

BTW... how miles on this bike? Any knowledge of its history?

John

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I think it’s the valves. What would I do with a bad valve
Remove the head and get this!
🚀

Obviously with a cylinder pressure reading of only 30psi there is something wrong! Either the rings are shot or the piston is damaged (which would dump fuel into the crankcase contaminating the oil; or, one or both valves aren't seating/closing fully.

If it's the rings, I would expect to see scoring marks on the cylinder walls (using a bore scope through the spark plug hole without removing the head).

If it's one or both valves there could be multiple causes...
  • excessive carbon buildup on the back of the exhaust valve not letting it seat completely
  • some kind of debris or foreign material preventing the valve(s) seating fully
  • damaged valve seat(s)
  • damaged valve(s)
  • camshaft/lobe damage
  • other valvetrain damage

That's why I asked if the oil you drained out when you serviced it, smelled like gas?

·
Registered
182 Posts
follow what @Coolfogman is saying. all you need is fuel, spark and air to fire. so either youre not getting fuel or youre not getting spark. are you sure youre float bowls are filling? its easy to check that, just unscrew the drain screws on the bowls to let it trickle a little. I have heard hit and miss on procom units bad from factory. and also like coolfogman said make sure the coils are correct or it will never fire. and yes they are 270º and no they do not have a fuel pump and they have 2 ignition coils unlike the 360º engines. if you need a photo of the wiring diagram I have one

·
Registered
65 Posts
A cylinder leak test is in order. You need to find out where the compression is going. You don't mention the mileage on the beast, but if the valve adjustment was neglected it is possible that you have a burned valve. More diagnosis is needed.

Reactions: Coolfogman
1 - 16 of 16 Posts