Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I’m a total noob when I comes to anything mechanics. My bike is a 2006 triumph Thruxton. It sat for about 8 months after my neighbor stupidly and drunkenly backed into it when it was on and idling ready for me to leave. So, I decided to pull the carb out and take a look, and after finally getting to the float bowls first thing that happens is the screws get all striped! (These are like soft clay and absolute trash! Where can I get new ones?) okay, secondly once I finally get to the jets the main jet comes out ZEro Problem, then the pilot jet starts giving me trouble. Like a moron I decide to try and extract it before watching any YouTube videos. After about 2 days and a lot of trying one came out fine (to my knowledge nothing was damaged) but the 2nd one ended up breaking off into a million pieces! Tried my best to see if it all came out but I couldn’t really see in there. So...my question is should I just buy new jets and try to put them in? Or should I cut my losses on get a new carburetor? I am wondering if it’ll even run after it’s all put back together. Remember I’m an absolute beginner with mechanics and repairs. I just didn’t want to go back to a shop and pay $975 for a carb rebuild and cleaning (Mickey Thompson knows his stuff though!) Also it’s been handled and the floats on springs have prob moved since. What size jets for a stock 06’ with a wider exhaust would you guys recommend? Also do I need to do anything else to the bike IF I get the jets installed along with the carb and it runs? The picture is before I butchered the pilot jets trying to pull them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
The screws likely stripped because you used a Phillips screw driver on them. They are not Phillips screws; they are JIS screws. You need a JIS driver. That said, you can get stainless steel hex drive screws to replace them. Google "Keihin bowl screws".

Can't say much about the jets unless I can see where you stand now. If you can get the old jets out, why not just replace them? They're not that expensive. (Again, the right tool is worth its weight in gold...)

$975 for a carb cleaning? Send them to me. I'll do it for half price. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Anyway I’m wondering why this is happening? It should not be any difference on what you are typing a post... it’s just two signs, my phone read your emioticons properly... it can be a problem with your soft...
ok it’s not geek squad forum ; )
Have a good night.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Anyway I’m wondering why this is happening? It should not be any difference on what you are typing a post... it’s just two signs, my phone read your emioticons properly... it can be a problem with your soft...
ok it’s not geek squad forum ; )
Have a good night.
My pad shows the same garbled mess that looks like swearing lol

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
How much of the world(besides me) doesn't have a clue what & # x1f609 or & # x1f642 means?
It is all gibberish to me too. But, that being said, he made a valid point. He is on the wrong thread. Most of us on this thread know how to turn a wrench otherwise we would not be riding this old 3 cylinder stuff. ...J.D.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Gilsghost: I mean no disrespect, but I think you need some professionl help there before you do any further damage. I think you are in over your head here. You need to know your limitations. ...J.D.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
I know the answer. The forum doesn't recognize Verizon (etc.) emoticons. "Old school" (which I am a card carrying member of) used ascii characters, like colon [:] and close paren [)] to form a smiley face :). I don't have to change keyboards to insert it, and even they can see it. These young wippersnappers think everyone uses a phone to access the internet. Little do they know what they're missing not having a "big screen" view. To the rest of us it's gibberish, or rude, like talking in a foreign language and not realizing (or caring) that others can't understand them. :mad:

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts