Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
So idler gears and gasket are ready to be put in.

Battery on charger, injector soaked in cleaner.

Managed to change sprag clutch with bike in 6th gear and rear brake. And torqued to 54Nm.
Time to clean starter covers.

IMG_20190810_082647623.jpg

IMG_20190810_082703167.jpg

Oil the gaskets before install.
And it's done with bolts torqued to 9 Nm.

IMG_20190810_085108915.jpg

Next, connect TuneEcu. Man this things reminds me the old days when trying to connect VAG cable to the Audi with so many drivers problems.
With drivers problem solved. Time to check and erase errors.
Okay, let's see if bike would run with fresh 91 fuel.

Well, engine turns :smile2: but won't fire after several tries.:frown2:
And then battery went flat. So charger connected again.

Next, I removed fuel tank, and then check everything I can think of again.
Spark plugs removed, all tips are a bit wet. wiped clean, and then cycled engine several run to push out extra gas mixtures in there.
Put everything back, erase error codes and try again. Same results.:mad:

So I think maybe fuel pump didn't put back correctly? So pump removed, took apart. Looks in order to me. Put everything back together the second times.
Fuel leak through outlet tube a bit when install fuel tank this time. That's a bit weird. But I just proceed to install fuel line and everything else as it's getting dark.

Thinking give it a last shot before clean up the mess around garage.
And it fires right up. :beerchug:rofl
Charging system is still original now, and number seems good: idle at 15V and 14.7~8V when revs. Will see what number comes up with SH775AA later on.

It's a tired and excited day.:clap

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Congratulations.
Is that a crash bar tube that we can see on the last picture?

I guess you know that there is plenty of report stating the frame was broken after a crash due to those.

Fred

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Congratulations.
Is that a crash bar tube that we can see on the last picture?

I guess you know that there is plenty of report stating the frame was broken after a crash due to those.

Fred
Thanks, Fred.
Yes, that's frame slider from powerbronze that bolts to engine mount.

I did heard some story about them trashed the frame on other bikes before, but not search on what happened on the Sprint yet.
Better to remove them you think?

IMG_20190727_171914184.jpg

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You have two option in case of crash:

1-Pay for fairing or repair/repaint it.
2-bring the bike to the junk yard (or change the frame w/ the risk the insurance totals the bike).

What is your choice?

If you think about it twice, the answer is obvious.

The sliders is a seducing idea because you think it will prevent damages in case of fall.

-Look at the length of the lever and the twisting strength/torque applied to the frame
-In the slider assembly what part is absorbing the kinetic energy (the movement of the bike going to the ground)?
Think that this energy will be transferred in a time close to 0 Sec which implies a strength close to ∞.

A good frame slider would have:
-multiple mounting points to spread the crash energy
-a steel part of which dimensions allow it to bent in such a way the kinetic energy would be transformed in heat energy (the steel part becoming hot while benting).

What chances are that in case of crash you slide instead of striking the ground?
They should be called strike absorbers, in which case the design should be different.

Even those are not good. Because if the steel plate bent, the mounting points will get farther from each other, hence twisting the bolts and mounting points (frame).

Fred

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks, Fred. Point taken. Will think about it later.

Meanwhile, I received the 6 point 46mm socket.
One quick question:
Is there a socket that actually can fit into full depth of drive side nut? The one I got can only grab very little.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Thanks, Fred.
Managed to get both nut off.
Everything looks normal, and all bearing feels smooth. Some light mark on axel as expected.
Well, there is a scratch inside swingarm eccentric matting surface though
Probably when dirt gets in there through underside hole, then scratched it when chain been adjusted.

Clean everything up really well and put grease on needle bearing.
Now rear wheel seems turn a bit smoother, or just my imagination.:smile2:

Rode her around the blocks. Everything seems good.

Waiting for the sh775 and updates 4gauge starter wires and hopefully called it project finished.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
While you have the bodywork off are you going to relocate the regulator?
The GT stuck it up front left on the frame, I stuck mine under the battery tray on Sir Costalot.

·
2,905 Posts
While you have the bodywork off are you going to relocate the regulator?

The GT stuck it up front left on the frame, I stuck mine under the battery tray on Sir Costalot.
Under the battery tray is a great spot

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Maybe some sand stuck in there. Did you put some copper grease or anti-seize on that surface before remounting?

Fred
That's what I thought after saw that big opening at left side of the picture. Seems lot of Ducati has similar problem. Some even use some sort of plate or tape to cover those hole. But I didn't saw anyone doing that for Triumph. Or maybe I missed something?

I use Honda Moly 60 that's normally for spline drive shaft. Cause Ducati use it for eccentric as their grease B.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
With sh775aa fitted and 4gaug starter wires upgrade.
The ST now take 3 seconds to fire up at first cold start, without the need to prime fuel pump 3 times before start. And instantly fire up when push start button when warm. 14.3V at idle, and 14.8V above 1500 rpm.

So we went for a 50 miles back roads ride this morning. She revs wonderful through every corner, and I kind of like the rumbling sound from exhaust when you let go off the throttle. Mirrors, well let's not get there.

This forum provide so many great information about Triumph. Thank you all for your help.
Will stick around to find more detail to fine tune her.
Not show room condition yet. But for now, we are happy.:smile2:

IMG_20190810_175340006.jpg

IMG_20190810_175739934.jpg

IMG_20190905_073212427_HDR.jpg

21 - 36 of 36 Posts