Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hopefully someone can direct me here. I keep getting the engine light coming on (and then going off before i can get the Tune ECU hooked up), it's very erratic. I did finally managed to plug in the computer and run the Tune ECU fault finder, zip, nicks, nada and sweet eff all.

What seems to be happening, is that the bike is giving every indication of running very rich, I've had the plugs foul once, (just like my old Matchless G3 did when the choke wouldn't close). And giving the thing a whack, results in a "beautiful" black cloud appearing in my mirrors, one reminiscent of a Racing Truck after its clouted another one.

Strangely the power seems to have increased a slight bit, and the consumption has remained much the same, although when running on a constant throttle (not under load), the motor sounds like its stuttering like a 2 stroke does at low throttle openings.

Any one have an idea? I'd love to hear from you.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hi all, hopefully someone can direct me here. I keep getting the engine light coming on (and then going off before i can get the Tune ECU hooked up), it's very erratic. I did finally managed to plug in the computer and run the Tune ECU fault finder, zip, nicks, nada and sweet eff all.
I've never had the MIL come on and off; it's always had a logged error code, and taken the 3 cycles or TuneECU to clear. That seems weird...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

What seems to be happening, is that the bike is giving every indication of running very rich, I've had the plugs foul once, (just like my old Matchless G3 did when the choke wouldn't close). And giving the thing a whack, results in a "beautiful" black cloud appearing in my mirrors, one reminiscent of a Racing Truck after its clouted another one.

Strangely the power seems to have increased a slight bit, and the consumption has remained much the same, although when running on a constant throttle (not under load), the motor sounds like its stuttering like a 2 stroke does at low throttle openings.

Any one have an idea? I'd love to hear from you.
What does the O2 sensor voltage says (TuneECU) at idle? Does it flip flop between ~0.1V and ~0.9V (as it should)?

Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, we have some progress on this problem.

I had a mate of mine round last night who is a car mechanic, and his reasoning was that "its just a two wheeled car".

so he buggered off and came back with an aluminium case filled with wizardry.

He managed to get the Tune ECU working, (dunce here was doing everything perfectly incorrectly, as is my wont) ran through the whole procedure, but as the engine light was off, it didn't give any error codes, so he did all these VooDoo tricks with a variety of tester jobbies, and the end result seems to be that the MAP sensor has decided to shuffle off this mortal coil.

Thanks for the thoughts on the O2 sensor Fred, it was the first thing Lenten (now rechristened Merlin) worked his sorcery on.

So off i went to ebay, and hopefully the offending MAP will be replaced post haste.

I will re post once the "new" MAP arrives and is safely ensconsed in it's new cozy home.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts on the O2 sensor Fred, it was the first thing Lenten (now rechristened Merlin) worked his sorcery on.
Additional info on this. The O2 sensor voltage is not only an indication that the sensor is working correctly. It's also an indication of a leaky injector (voltage stuck to 0.9V).

Fred

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greetings all, MAP arrive and is now nestled in it's new home, Started up fine, idled properly, ran ok, but seemed to be a bit lean, so I took it of to a local friendly (ex) Trumpet agent, that still looks after us Triumph owners.

They plugged in their diagnostic box of all intelligence, and it told them that the old MAP was duff (shoulda gone there in the first place), and that the new one was a happy wee sensor, but that the whole thing needed some more voodoo to make it run properly due to it being too lean.

So with a bit of exercising their dark arts, the old blue bugle is now playing a gorgeous tune, burping and farting on the overun, and just being its usual obnoxious self (it has a very noisy locally made Race can on it).

Joy :O)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts